rider to passenger intercom

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miguel

Reaction score
Hello all,

can anyone recommend a rider to passenger intercom system? i'm looking for something simple...i don't really care about CB, just something to talk to my wife or daughter when they're riding pillion.

thanks.

I have a Starcom Advance that I got from Jeff at Bikeeffects.com (he gives a discount to forum members). It's not cheap but I've found you get what you pay for. Don't ask me how I know that.

Tom

I use an Autocom... maybe a bit much for what you're after, but a great system.

For occasional use, I know folks with the Chatterbox and they seem happy.

There is also a system from the UK (Backchat?) that uses old-style voice tubes (no power required). Seems ok, but I have no experience with it. That type of system worked fine when I used it in an open-cockpit airplane years ago, so it ought to work on the bike too.

Griff

Hello all,
can anyone recommend a rider to passenger intercom system? i'm looking for something simple...i don't really care about CB, just something to talk to my wife or daughter when they're riding pillion.

thanks.

A very simple, yet functional intercom is the Motocomm Riderlink ST1 You can find these at less than the msrp on that web site if you look around.

I have one of these on my VFR (I also have a Starcom1 on my FJR) and the Motocomm works great for the cost. The down side is there is no stereo sound capability (just mono sound in both ears) and you can not fade the volume front to back. Otherwise it does about everything the $500 systems do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the Autocom system that my wife & I use was called an Easicom-V8 at the time.

Looks like they have added a few features & renamed it. Easi-Plus

Ours still works great after at least 6 years.

Scala Rider Teamset - wireless Bluetooth connection to each set and your phone and works very well with long battery life.

Been using one with my wife for over a year now and very happy with it. The "no wires" was a big selling point to me.

check E-bay as I got mine for $179 delivered.

I am using the Scala Q2 wireless setup. Works on Bluetooth. each headset also has a built-in FM receiver, so we can listen to the IPOD in stereo thru that.

This setup is easy and sufficient for casual riding and an occasional trip.

If I were an IBA, 15,000 mile a year guy, I would get a hard-wired system like a starcom.

thank you all for the tips. the wireless sets really appeal to me. i think i will order the Scala.

thank you all for the tips. the wireless sets really appeal to me. i think i will order the Scala.
Please update with your impressions of the Scala. I am looking at an audio system as well and really don't want to have to make a permanent install. The Scala style system would work well for me.

We use a full Starcom setup (Jeff@BikeEffects) and it works very well, intercom, mp3, garmin My friend just bought ScalaQ2

and my thoughts are: the Scala is wireless, rider/pillon or bike to bike with pretty good range and voice quality BUT the music quality is lacking and the range of volume does not seem adequate at speed I also hope the boom mike arm is strong

for the constant adjusting it takes. backround noise is present (pickup or adjustment?) It's a good unit for casual short rides

but I think a full system, once installed and set up is better overall 2cents

If all you want to is wireless communications with your pillion the mono Scala Q2 works great. Being Bluetooth it also gives you the ability to use a cell phone and listen to many models of GPS with guided navigation. It does have a built-in FM with 6 channel presets. The radio reception if fair, and again, there is that mono thing.

With the earphones and microphone properly fitted we have had no volume problems. When stopped you can hear some background noise (and breathing) but under way you can't hear any of that. I'm able to ride 'at speed' with the windshield down, face shield open, then with my helmet roaring I can still clearly hear my wife and she can't hear my helmet noise. By pure cosmic coincidence my wife ended up working across the street from my building -- I can look out my office window into her office. We can put on our helmets and talk at that range with no problems other than very strange looks from our coworkers :unsure:

We have tried other tethered hard wired solutions and found the Scala by far is the best solution for us. It took a few uses to sort out all the button pushes plus the push & hold button combinations. Blue and red flashing lights give you the operating modes and status. I’ve never been very good at looking at my ear to see what the lights are doing, because that is the area where the Scala clips.