Riding after a wreck

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SigepKat

Reaction score
On Friday, I had a pretty bad accident w/an Ford Explorer. I was out riding the the 3 Sisters for the day, while riding through Leakey, a local turned left in front of me and I ran into her. I was care flighted to Brook Army Medical Center in San Antonio and spent the night in ICU. I had a brain bleed, some nerve damage in my shoulder (from the impact, should heal in time) and some cuts, scratches and bruises. Thanks to ATGATT, I'm pretty ok. They released me on Saturday and I've been at home recuperating. My bike is probably totaled, I don't think her insurance has looked at it, but there's nothing left that resembles an FJR.

Here's where I need help - My wife thinks I should be done riding. She's never minded my riding before, but now it's a problem. I guess she never thought it would happen to me. I'm not ready to hang up the helmet. I want her to quit smoking, she feels that her smoking and my riding are comparable. I don't agree, but that doesn't seem to be relevant. Can someone help me out? I'm not going to bring anything up right now, I can't ride anyway because currently my shoulder is jacked, but I need some arguments for riding...HELP!

First off Huge Congrats on surviving the wreck. Certainly something to be thankful for.

As for your predicament, hopefully in time your shoulder heals completely, but also your wife's view of you ever riding again sways the other direction. Probably best not to address the issue too soon. Remember, she almost lost her husband, that's a pretty traumatic deal.

I believe the only reasonable option is to get rid of her so you don't have to listen to her anymore.

Glad you are OK after your wreck. Anyway all joking aside, she should support your decision to ride if that is what you decide after you recover.

Last edited by a moderator:
After my accident (rearended) I thought my wife would tell me to stop riding but supported in my decision to keep riding, she knows how much I love to ride, she tells me every time I go ride to be safe all around me. it's therapy for me also. If this happened in your car would she tell you to quite driving? Hope you heal quick and good luck with your wife.You can try to tell her if you make me stop riding I'm going to start drinking.
uhoh.gif
just a thought.
rolleyes.gif

On Friday, I had a pretty bad accident w/an Ford Explorer. I was out riding the the 3 Sisters for the day, while riding through Leakey, a local turned left in front of me and I ran into her. I was care flighted to Brook Army Medical Center in San Antonio and spent the night in ICU. I had a brain bleed, some nerve damage in my shoulder (from the impact, should heal in time) and some cuts, scratches and bruises. Thanks to ATGATT, I'm pretty ok. They released me on Saturday and I've been at home recuperating. My bike is probably totaled, I don't think her insurance has looked at it, but there's nothing left that resembles an FJR.
Here's where I need help - My wife thinks I should be done riding. She's never minded my riding before, but now it's a problem. I guess she never thought it would happen to me. I'm not ready to hang up the helmet. I want her to quit smoking, she feels that her smoking and my riding are comparable. I don't agree, but that doesn't seem to be relevant. Can someone help me out? I'm not going to bring anything up right now, I can't ride anyway because currently my shoulder is jacked, but I need some arguments for riding...HELP!
Interesting. I agree with her that smoking and riding are comparable in some ways. But I think that the crux of the problem lies in trying to make the other person do something. You can want something for someone, but he/she has to make the decision, and you have to accept and respect that decision in good faith and in good spirits. If she smoked when you met her, than that's the bargain you made. If you rode when you met her, than that's the bargain she made. She knows the dangers of smoking just as you know the dangers of riding.

However there are (at least) a couple of big differences between smoking and riding: you can minimize the danger by learning from experience and by practicing skills so you can be a better rider; also you can minimize damage from accidents with protective gear. Not so for smoking; there's no way to lessen the danger or the penalties you will pay. And because of the danger posed by second-hand smoke, smoking also endangers others, something riding doesn't.

This decision for you is made more comlicated if there are children. I know many avid riders who gave up riding--more or less voluntarily--when they had kids.

But ultimately each of you must make the decision for him- or herself. If you are going to try to wrench each other into a decision neither has really come to terms with--I'll give this up but you have to give up that--you're sowing the seeds of resentment.

I'm having a little bit of the same issue. I spent a week between ICU and regular room at the hospital in early April and currently recovering. should be physically ready to ride by June 1 or so. Prior to that I expect a 'talk' from the wife as she has never been fond of me riding but I think she knows it is inevitable that I'm going to ride again. What is going for me is that I have been riding pretty much continuously since we met 27 years ago and is part of me. The other big thing is there is a coupel things I am going to do to help avoid a repeat of my accident. Is there anything you could have done to avoid your accident in order to reassure there is less chance of happening again?

give it time; maybe lotsa time and patience...

hear her out (often) without cutting her off...remind yourself that her pain is cause she cares about you so much

sometimes it's more "her" family's outrage feeding her, so try to get her to talk about only her feelings and maybe some strategy to turn off the "advice" from outside.

You are going to have to share your feelings and find a clear, quiet way to show her how much it's part of you; maybe many times over. My wife worrys a lot, especially about bad weather, but she's seen the benefits to my personhood and how much it's part of me. I took her on her first ride ever on our 3rd date.

best of luck and keep us posted...there's great wisdom and support here...keep posting

Congrats on surviving a head on...

How important riding is to you and how your relationship is with your wife weigh into things.

But you have to give her this...she was confronted with the possible death/maiming of her husband...so she has some recovery to do as well.

After being back to riding for 10 years on the FJR after a 20 year absence...my wife all of a sudden got a nervous/scared/concerned when riding season began again this spring. Maybe the off-season was so long...I don't know what it was. Anyway, I survived my first trip of the year (to SE Ohio and back)...and she seems to be better...back to status quo.

Is this the first time EVER that she's demanded you to do something this major? Anything? If so, cut her a teeny tiny bit of slack. She just almost lost her husband. That's understandable under the circumstances. If its not, keep riding and do what you love to do. You and you alone are the only person that can make a decision like that. I've known many significant others that have done that to their partners and it never ends well.

Get well and good luck with this. :)

First off, glad to hear you survived with minimal damage it sounds. A brain bleed can certainly be serious but they actually happen quite often in cases with head trauma even with a helmet. They are more common then people thing I believe. Your shoulder will most likely give you more fits down the road then the whack to your cranium. I crashed back in 2005 and blew my shoulder up, still has a plate and four screws in it and I can tell when the weather is turning....
smile.png
Anyway as for the wife, I agree with a few other sentiments on here. Give her a little slack as she is most likely frightened is all and with time that will subside. Approach the topic when it is right, timing is everything as they say. My wife met me when I was on two wheels and she has been with me through a couple incidents, only one major thankfully. To her credit, I know she was nervous when I got back on the saddle but she never said anything other then be careful. I currently ride for a living so I think she is fairly confident in my ability which helps. Anyway I lost my train of thought a bit there, my point is that I have a firm belief that when your time is up, your ticket will get punched regardless of what you are doing. Can you minimize the pain prior to that day, yes but when its time, its time. Not everyone believes that but I do after some of the stuff that has happened to me. You can be killed or harmed walking down your steps or riding in a car etc......to live life in fear and especially in fear of the things we really enjoy is kind of like, not really living in my opinion. Give it some time, have a heart to heart with the wifey, it will work out............good luck and heal up.......

SigepKat,

I'll warn you straight up: based on what you asked us here, you probably don't want to read this. So be forewarned, I'm going to step out on a limb here. When it comes to stuff like this, I'm kind-of the black sheep of this FJR family.

This forum will no doubt provide you with plenty of feedback about how you can "get out" of this. They can and will give you plenty of ways to justify that riding and smoking are not the same thing. Granted, they're not. However, I don't see it that way, and it seems that your wife doesn't either. I"m guessing your wife knows how much you love to ride. We all know the feeling, as we do too. It's time for the two of you to sit down, shut off the tv, the cell phones, the computer (and THIS forum): lock the door, and have a genuine heart to heart.

YOU HAVE A GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY HERE.

It may never come along again. Sometimes life doesn't give us a second chance to make the right decision. Based on what you've told us, your wife already knows you don't want to make this decision. Thus far your answer seems to have been, "Let's just wait awhile." Maybe you can, and maybe it'll be OK, and she's lighten up. Maybe she won't. But I'll leave that to the others on the forum to bat around. They've already done a pretty good job it seems, as at the moment, your post is only 4 hours old.

We vowed, "till death do us part." However, both of you are looking at something that very well may cause your death. We would certainly agree with you, and most of her friends, no doubt would agree with her. Granted, smoking and riding a motorcycle are not the same animal, but I digress. She was suddenly reminded that you're well being is more important to her than anything in her life. Certainly you feel the same about her. You know what smoking will do to her. You may have asked yourself many times in the past, what more can I do, what more can I say? I'd give ANYTHING to be able to convince her to quit. Well, here's your chance my friend.

This is your big chance, and perhaps the greatest opportunity that could ever be handed to you. You've got something in your hand that you can use to convince her to quit. You've got something that can convince her to actually accomplish this. I think you know where I'm going with this.

LET'S MAKE A DEAL

Tell her that you'll give up riding for her if she'll give up smoking for you. It's just that simple. Maybe it's not fair, maybe it's not necessary, maybe there's another way, maybe, maybe, maybe. Who knows? Who will ever know? But this one thing I do know. There's no way you can make a statement like that without conveying the fact that your wife and her health are more important to you than ANYTHING in this world.

And maybe, just maybe, it will be enough to make her say, "I'll do it... if you'll give up riding, I'll quit smoking." And with a little luck, she just might make it. And when you're a really old fart, and sitting on a porch somewhere holding her hand, you'll be able to look back to May of 2013 and thank God that you jumped on a golden opportunity when you did, because your sweetheart accomplished something that she NEVER thought she could do because of your sacrifice for her. If it works, it most likely will extend her life and improve her health. It may even save yours. But it will definitely send a clear message of just how much she means to you.

To keep this from becoming too long, I'll not tell you the rest of my story, but I did something very similar to this many years ago for a loved one, and have NEVER regretted it.

Gary

darksider #44

Glad you came through reasonably well. All the best in your recovery.

Some great comments here already. I am lucky to have the support of my wife (wasn't sure that would be the case after an 11-year hiatus) and I think she loves riding on the back almost as much as I love riding the bike. I think a big part of it is my attitude to risk generally - she knows it is important to me to do everything as safely as reasonably possible and trusts that I will do so. All that said, if things ever changed and she told me unequivocally that she didn't want me to ride anymore, I'd have to give it serious thought. I love riding, but there's no doubt I love my wife more.

I'll just echo some earlier comments:

1) Don't rush things (for yourself or for your wife)

2) Consider whether there is anything to be learned from your collision (not saying there is, but I would be asking myself that question)

Lastly - and I'm just throwing this out there; it may or may not be appropriate - you could point out all your safety gear/practices/precautions, etc. and say "see - it worked! Some A-hole tried to kill me but I survived. I'm going to continue to do all the right things to avoid mishaps and minimize their effects when they can't be avoided."

Get well!

I've been through this three times now. 2 FJR's and a '85 Honda Shadow in the dumpster. If you interested in hearing how we (my wife and I - because she was one the back seat when we crashed in '08) worked through it, drop me a PM.

Input here is good, but you will need to find your own way on this. I've gotten back on, but I've had two very close friends who did not / could not get back on.

And here's to healing fast and I'm glad you here to have this conversation.

Wayne

Back a few years? I toasted my Blackbird at stupid speed! I wasn't a kid so don't have any excuse and don't make one. Apparently, while in hospital and quite sedated I promised my wife I wouldn't ride any more? I vaguely remember making this promise but I was drugged! For a few years after that accident (there have been others) I pined for another bike but I had made that promise. In the intervening years my wife noticed I seemed depressed or at least out of sorts? Every time a bike rolled by my eyes would follow? One day the Best Lady in the World said, you're not happy, why don't you buy another bike! The one caveat, If you don't kill yourself in the next accident I won't hang around and push you in a wheel chair! Of course that puts the blame on me to make sure the next one "Doesn't" paralyse me. Just make sure I'm dead! I love my FJR. I love my Wife even more! I try to be careful, a little!

It's just too easy to be glib; your wife is probably the most important thing in your life, but man, that''s a hard place to be in. Obviously, this is not an issue that is particular to you, and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Glad you made it through, and hope the healing takes place quickly!