Riding Impressions of 2014 ES

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allen_C

Reaction score
Took a 40min ride today. Temp low to mid 40's, sunny day, 10+/- MPH winds, roads clear. I'm 5'10", 30" inseam (short legs and long torso) and 188lbs. I had on sport riding boots, Freeze Out long johns under lined mesh riding pants, Freeze Out long sleeve shirt under a t-shirt under a Hotwire (similar to First Gear) heated jacket liner under a quilt lined mesh riding jacket, Hotwire heated gloves, and Shoei GT-Air helmet.

I adjusted the windscreen to about 85% up, heated grips to high (10 on a low of 1 to a high of 10 scale), seat in the lowest position (cannot flat foot but I still feel in control), handlebars in the middle position, no luggage attached.

I started with the Preload set to One Rider w/out luggage - this can only be set when the bike is stationary. I also set the Drive Mode at Touring (only adjustable with the throttle off) and the Dampening at Soft 0. Riding along straight and smooth roads this setup feels plush...kind of like a big Cadillac. Go around some curves, especially with bumps, and I feel disconnected from the road and a bit unsteady. I changed to Hard 0 and it felt so much more secure and able to be pushed. Changing to Standard 0 and it was a good compromise between the two...this will be my usual suspension setting for general riding. For those who don't know, there are three suspension settings: Hard, Standard, and Soft, all of which can be changed on the fly. Within each of these, there are SEVEN levels, from -3 to 0 to +3, which require the bike to be NOT MOVING to adjust. Do the math and that is a total of 21 different suspension settings.

The cruise is simple to use, just like the one in cars. Turn it on with the push of the On/Off button on the left side then set it with the push of a toggle. Adjust one MPH up by pushing the +/Resume (up) toggle and one MPH down by pushing the -/Set (down) toggle. There are three ways to deactivate the cruise: tap either break lever, pull in the clutch or push the Cruise ON/Off button. New for 2014, you can set the cruise above 82 MPH and also increase it from there all the way up to 100 MPH. I set it at 82 and increased it to 85 with no issues!

Cruising at 70 MPH the RPMs are 3700. Observing the manufacturer's recommendation, I kept the revs below 4500. This is required until 600 Miles, at which time the Oil, Oil Filter and Final Drive Oil all need to be changed. Then, the revs can go up to 5400 until 1000 miles. After that, only the 9000 RPM is your limit. I felt no buzziness or additional vibration from the 1050 RPM idle up to the temporary limit of 4500 RPM .

I adjusted the windshield from all the way down to all the way up and many points in between to determine what setting worked well for my height and helmet. With the windshield up about 85% of its travel and my helmet top vent close, it was the lowest amount of noise I’ve ever had riding. The wind seemed to hit me at the top of my faceshield and moving it down created more noise and turbulence as well as more cold air. When I moved the windshield up the quite air and turbulence moved a bit and I did not like how it felt compared to the 85% setting. Compared to my ’08, Yamaha has done something different in the design of the shield and/or airflow underneath to create a more effective still-air bubble at a usable position. Note, Gen 2 windshields will NOT fit the Gen 3 (or at least not the 2014) bracket. The holes do not match up and the ’14 does not have the hole (or the middle trim piece) in the middle center where the trim piece for the Gen 2 attaches.

With my layers and the bikes wind protection, I did NOT turn on my heated jacket liner or gloves. I was very comfortable and alternated the Grip Heaters between Med (5) and High (10). I did not try changing the position of the “adjustable” wings on the side fairing since I’ve read that most people who have cannot determine if there is any difference between up or down. I may try this in a later ride. I also rode tonight in low 40 degree temps and without the sun shining, it felt cooler outside, to the point that if I rode more than 30 minutes, I’d probably turn on my heated jacket liner. My hands were still comfortable, but I kept the Grip Heater on High the entire ride.

Well, that is the full review. I hope it answers some questions others may have. If you have any specific scenarios or questions, I’m happy to try to answer them. Note, I will be trying Two Riders with and without luggage over the next few months. My wife has been down at her mom’s for Thanksgiving and is still not available to do this yet!

2ilq.th.jpg

83b8.th.jpg

jfay.th.jpg

Two Brothers Exhaust

5rsr.th.jpg

My cord for heated gear and battery tender.

You lucky dude. I don't get my ES until mid December. Thanks for the update. This is going to make the waiting even harder. Have fun.

Very interested to hear your thoughts on the USD fork vs. the conventional, sound like you have an 08 in the stable. Any more direct feeling, less flex when leaned through turns, that kind of stuff?

Thanks for the through review of your first good ride on the ES.

I should have mine this week but the weather is turning for the worst. Looks like a lot of garage farkling until spring arrives here in MN.

For now I'll travel vicariously with the new owners from the warm climes.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="SouthernCruizer" data-cid="1109973" data-time="1386005791"><p>

good write up, but one slight correction...cruise control goes up/down 2Kph, or 1.2mph with each bump.</p></blockquote>

Hmmm, I set it to 82 then bumped it up 3 times to 85 mph. I'll have to test this further!

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="SouthernCruizer" data-cid="1109973" data-time="1386005791"><p>good write up, but one slight correction...cruise control goes up/down 2Kph, or 1.2mph with each bump.</p></blockquote>

Hmmm, I set it to 82 then bumped it up 3 times to 85 mph. I'll have to test this further!
Yeah I'd have to go with 1 mph/1.6 kph per click, based on my experience (which I think reflects what the manual says, but I'm not gonna look it up!).

I just located the section in the manual: "...change the speed in increments of approximately 2.0 km/h (1.2 m/h)."

Thanks for the correction!

Good point. I will also test the speedo with the gps app I downloaded today.
I just located the section in the manual: "...change the speed in increments of approximately 2.0 km/h (1.2 m/h)."...
I would bump the speed increase button on my AVCC and nothing happened even though it was supposed to adjust speed by 0.5 mph per push. Then I looked at my GPS and could clearly see the speed change.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="SouthernCruizer" data-cid="1109973" data-time="1386005791"><p>good write up, but one slight correction...cruise control goes up/down 2Kph, or 1.2mph with each bump.</p></blockquote>

Yeah I'd have to go with 1 mph/1.6 kph per click, based on my experience (which I think reflects what the manual says, but I'm not gonna look it up!).
i'd have them check your bike under warranty. If you are showing 1 mph per click, your cruise is malfunctioning.

Good review. Thx. Are Gen 3s changeable from miles to kms, F to C, etc?
Definitely. The LCD screen is customizable in many ways. Also, instead of specific settings for say the grip warmers, one can select the levels (1 thru 10) that are displayed as Low, Med and High.

Went for a ride today on wet, dirty roads since it rained earlier in the day but the temperature somehow climbed to 62 degrees this afternoon!

Anyway, I checked the speed bumps on the cruise and the speedo error as compared to a GPS. To correct what I stated earlier and what others said, the cruise increases 1.2 MPH (2 km/h) per bump, not 1.0 MPH. The speedo is fairly accurate since when it shows 35 MPH the GPS indicates 34, at 65 MPH the GPS indicates 63.

Also, went 2-up for the first time since getting the bike. Setting it at 2 Riders and Soft 0, the ride was smoother and no bottoming out like my '08 would sometimes do on larger bumps. This easily adjustable suspension is worth the extra $ if you split your riding time between just yourself and with a passenger.

Just wanted to update some of the details!

Thanks for the update from those of us in Jealous Land.

Just curious: Are you finding the ES can take the mushiness / wallowing out of those 'spirited' cornerning situations?

I find my '10 to be sprung & damped far too softly for sportier sport touring. An upgrade will correct this but damn, the ES is going to be too hard to resist ***IF*** it's stiffer in the twisties.

Your impressions of cornering performance compared to your '08 will be appreciated.

Cheers,

Ed

Definitely suffer springs and greater and easier adjustability for harder riding and two-up. I rode a curvy road yesterday, set it on 1 rider and Hard 0 - it negotiated the bumps and quick direction changes well. Went two up again today and set it for soft to absorb the small potholes already present this winter and expansion joints on the interstate without bottoming out like my '08 would.