Riding through Atlanta this summer? Think about it again.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Hud

Just another blob of protoplasm using up your oxyg
Reaction score
If you were routing through Atlanta to get to EOM or SFO, check your plans carefully.

As you probably heard, we had a bridge collapse yesterday during rush hour: https://www.cnn.com/2017/03/31/us/atlant ... index.html

A section of the I-85 viaduct, near its junction with I-75 and GA 400, collapsed due to a (pretty cool, actually) fire. Miraculously, no one was hurt. Five lanes wide, and won't be fixed for at least 2 to 3 months at a minimum.

That's five NORTHBOUND lanes completely gone from our already-overloaded interstate system. It's likely that SOUTHBOUND lanes get re-opened in a week or so, after inspectors verify there's no damage to that viaduct.

You can go around the city on I-285, and I-285 will still have connections to all the through freeways. With this vital link removed from our highway network, I can only recommend that you go around town, or through it on I-20, and only between 7 pm and 6 am.

Last edited by a moderator:
All you need is a city bus and Sandra Bullock. You can clear that gap easily with enough Speed.

As much of a tragic goatrope Atlanta traffic is, this makes it just laughable. My office is in midtown. I haven't figured out what this means for 400, or getting to it. If I'm in the office, average afternoon time to cover 38 miles (thirty-eight) without an armageddon-like collapse is around 90 minutes. But I've had many, many 2 hour days. For 38 miles. On the very bright side, once I had my coolant changed, and the air bubbles replaced with liquid, my bike wouldn't overheat if I wanted it to (reference to last year). Merica.

Dude, your ride in should be fine once they have checked and cleared the SB viaduct.

Route back to the far northern 'burbs? Get on GA 400 at Sidney Marcus .... or go I-75 NB to the Perimeter. Get a buddy and cruise in the HOV lane.

Don't worry, my friend, you'll have plenty of company on your way home, no matter which detour you try!
coolsmiley02.gif

Back in '07 a tanker truck of some kind lit up after a wreck right under a SF Bay Area overpass, and after it burned like hell for a while, down came the works. But I didn't see that kind of explanation here. In fact, it seems like a mystery. What the hell was burning? Let us know if they figger it out, Hud.

Meanwhile, I'll be avoiding Atlanta. Like I would have been anyway, judging by what I've always heard about your traffic.

Extra leverage for the lane splitting bill?
smile.png
I think my plated KTM 450 would be an awesome lane splitting sidewalk hopper to get to through mid town.

SacramentoMike posted: Back in '07 a tanker truck of some kind lit up after a wreck right under a SF Bay Area overpass, and after it burned like hell for a while, down came the works. But I didn't see that kind of explanation here. In fact, it seems like a mystery. What the hell was burning? Let us know if they figger it out, Hud.
Meanwhile, I'll be avoiding Atlanta. Like I would have been anyway, judging by what I've always heard about your traffic.
Google Street View shows the "material" GDOT had stored under the bridge for years: plastic conduit. That explains the thick black smoke and the intense heat, but does NOT explain how the fire got started. (Google "2123 Piedmont Road, NE, Atlanta" and see for yourself.)

A personal guess? Homeless folk(s) living amid the stacks of plastic started a fire to cook dinner, and it got out of control. I really don't want to believe it was arson, but that is -- unfortunately -- a possibility.

SacMike, if you ever find your way over here, you've got a bedroom at your disposal. Dinner and beer included. (Or red wine. Aunt Kelly loves the really good Pinot Noirs.)

In that event, I'd bring cheese and crackers. Left midtown today, couldn't get anywhere near 400, even though I knew it was clear past the burnout. Followed gps to 75-285-400. Need to study map to figure out quickest way from midtown, past the normal route to 400, to just past, I guess, buckhead. Epic traffic snarl for spring break folks. Timely thread TS.

Thanks for the info. When I'm headed to PNW or any place N & W of here, I leave @ 0400 and that puts me in Atlanta ~11am or so. I usually just stay on 75N and breeze right through although usually I'll get over in the Peach Pass lane. I've tried every route there is but the Atlanta run is the best, but it has to be timed just right to get through OK.

Well, let us know when it's all back to normal!

EDIT: About where did this happen? Mile marker? I see 85 & 75 run together for some miles.

The fallen section of bridge is where I-85 crosses Piedmont Road. Google the address above.

Only I-85 is affected; fljab, your run through town on I-75 is still good even though the HOV lane is closed at the north end of downtown.

Bill Lumberg, lots of folks will figure out their own routes, so all routes will be really jammed. How about Tenth ---> Highland ----> Cheshire Bridge ---> Lenox?

I was also wondering what caused it. They were reporting it on the local news but no mention of a cause??....So that explains it...they don't know! Well we were considering a trip to the new ballpark but maybe we should wait? Our local news is kinda pitiful in their reporting....where exactly is it Uncle Hud and will we be affected coming down to a game?

It was started by a homeless guy, with 19 prior arrests. No longer homeless, but fed and housed at our expense.

No info on whether they were living under there. Not much evidence left.

That pipe has a very high ignition point, but once it goes, good luck putting it out.

I'm simple minded regarding nav. So I was surprised to see popular nav apps that could not conceive of a one mile detour to get around the problem, instead seeing the only solution as lateral miles to an entirely different interstate. I need to tweak some settings somewhere. I'd rather be stuck in traffic on the bike than in a car. More versatility. Ride safe.

The fallen section of bridge is where I-85 crosses Piedmont Road. Google the address above.
Only I-85 is affected; fljab, your run through town on I-75 is still good even though the HOV lane is closed at the north end of downtown.
You mean here?:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Piedmont+Ave+NE,+Atlanta,+GA/@33.812401,-84.3668903,16.75z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x88f5043feb9510fd:0xbe487878a037bdac!8m2!3d33.7836762!4d-84.379268

I was looking and first noticed that Piedmont AVE crosses farther south and where 85 & 75 run together. But looking more, I see Piedmont Road comes off of Piedmont Ave up here after 85 takes off to the NE.

Is traffic on 75 through downtown that much worse? It would seem folks that usually take 85 to the NE would find alternate routes that could take them off 75 before they usually would exit.

Good info, thanks!

fljab, your Google bookmark is correct. (Sorry about the late reply; been out of internet range for a week.)

UPDATE: Georgia DOT has now shut down both directions of I-85 at the trouble spot. HOV lane for I-75 NB is now open.

Official GDOT webpage is here. They're saying June 15 for opening day; I took July 4 in the office pool.

I haven't noticed any difference in I-75 traffic between Midtown and the Perimeter (I-285), but last week was Spring Break for metro-area schools.

That's crazy fast. I'm doubtful too, but I get to see the progress up close every day (the big curve leaving midtown, the one headed to Sidney Marcus Blvd.). Traffic isn't that bad from sheer volume, but every day I sit behind people slowing almost to a stop gawking at the gap. Other driving like it's "The Purge". I had quite a lot of time to observe traffic right by the gap when an idiot knocked me down there Friday. I had a lot going on (driver initially wasn't going to stop). Didn't even turn the bike off or move to right it until after I'd called the tag in. But where are you going to run in Atlanta rush hour? He backed up. I regret not taking a picture of it while it was down. But it wasn't something to commemorate either. I have two colleagues that use 75N, I use 400N. Their ride is actually better. It takes me an hour just to get to Sidney Marcus, after that, normal 400 traffic.