Riding, why we Ride, Safety - saw this on Quora

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjohnsd

2021 BMW R1250GSA
Reaction score
When I first started riding, my parents and others often said I had a deathwish. Au contraire I had a living exuberantly wish.

I love the feedback of the road, the exposure to the elements, the sense of immediacy and urgency, and the lack of insulation between myself and my physics. "Motorcycling is so daaaaangerous!" they said, and that is true: if you do go down, you are far more likely to be injured, even fatally, than you are in a car regardless of whose fault it is.

I was a motorcycle riderfull-time and everyday commuter for about 6 years in San Francisco, then over the following 19 years or so, I owned a car as well, which meant I skipped riding in truly foul weather. In the last 15 of those years, the only time I've gone down was standing at my mailbox on my motorcycle. I just shifted my weight slightly, and under my heel, a small branch rolled across the gravel surface, and down I wentinstantlyin full moronic glory, and at the roaring speed of STATIONARY. Burned a hole right through my wildly overpriced yoga pants and it's been the Costco brand ever since. It's worth noting that you can still hurt yourself and do considerable damage to your bike even in a non-event like this.

So am I doomed to know the cruel embrace of the asphalt?

If you ride daily or near-daily for years, yes, you and your ride likely will be torn asunder at some point, and, as above, it may not even be dramatic.

That said, I believe that 99% of motorcycle accidents are totally avoidable if you get proper, and extensive training as you embark on riding and if you're constantly vigilant. To be absolutely clear, by constantly vigilant, I mean constantly, during every ride near or far, assuming everyone wants to kill you. It's not enough to assume they do not see you. You must assume every car is an active threat intent upon your destruction.

Remember the arcade game "Asteroids?" If it's in proximity, you're imperiled. Your hyperspace key is having more torque than they have, so use it to get ahead and away. Did they throw on their right-hand turn signal? Assume they'll speed up and switch into your lane on the left. If they came to an immediate stop in front of you, would you smash into their bumper? How about the drivers who suddenlyand without moving their heads at allswing simultaneously into the same lane? They're the human equivalent of psycho cats who suddenly bolt into another room. Your job is to not be in that lane when they kiss.

Let's go over it again. The golden rule is:

If a car is nearby, assume it wants to smite you.

But wait. What about the 1% of accidents you can't avoid?

Yep, mechanical failure, a sleeping driver crossing over a freeway median, a tire blowing out, an oil slick, unforeseen ice those are the "anvil falling from the sky" scenarios that you will almost never be able to foresee. If that happens, your time is just up but those can happen to anyone, anywhere not just riders. It is hard if not impossible to ride your way out of something tragic or unforeseen like this, no matter your experience level.

Even some of these (like mechanical issues) can be minimized with maintenance and pre-ride checks. But actively avoiding worst-case scenarios doesn't mean you shouldn't also be adequately prepared for them. My ABS system went out entirely on my BMW K1200R last summer. Very dangerous, to say the least, but I was on flat ground. I picked the LEAST bad outlet off of the road and did not go down. Which leads to the other Golden Rule: Always have an "out."

Further tips for avoiding Rapid Deceleration Trauma (crashing):

Take the motorcycle safety course in your area.

Statistics used to indicate that accident rates went down by 40% for people who took this class. They'll put you through real-world challenges on tiny, maneuverable bikes under controlled circumstances, so you don't freak out when they happen in real life under less controlled ones. Rear-wheel skids, super-tight hairpin and nautilus turns, pushing your bike and straddling it while standing still (hey hey, don't check your mail!) and everything in between.

For godsakes, just dont drink.

Something like 40+% of motorcycle accidents occur when the rider has an illegal blood alcohol content. Your balance is everything on a bike. While you should just not drink and drive ever, even one drink in an hour which you can likely get away with, both legally and in every other sense as a car driver can impair you enough to cause an accident when youre on two wheels.

Beware of the ever-deadly left-turning motorist

In 2011, almost half of 2-vehicle motorcycle accidents were caused by someone making a left turn when the bike had the right of way in the oncoming lane. Since my original writing of this answer, this happened to me. The guy looked right at me, had no doubt I was entering the intersection, and still turned left directly in front of me. He later said he panicked hed miss the light.

Wear clothing that makes sense

Leather jackets have taken so much aggravation intended for my skin, it's unreal. There's also Kevlar and other engineered fabrics that help with abrasion and impact should you suffer from a sudden, high-speed introduction to asphalt.

Yes, you should wear a full-face helmet

It may be a crime to hide that clean, strapping jawline in a full-face helmet, but if you use a bucket helmet, your jawline may not last all that long, anyway. Those helmets you see a lot of chopper riders wear don't do much (and often come off the head) in the hairier accidents.

Ride in better weather

Seems obvious, but if you are new to riding put luck and logic on your side by avoiding the road when visibility is bad, rain is torrential, or in the ice and snow (which even good riders often dread). Honestly, one of the worst days to ride, in my book, is the mild drizzle day after a long period of no rain whatsoever. Why? Because lots of oil and grime has deposited on the roads, and the rain isn't sufficient to wash it away yet. Instead, there's a nice, slick coating atop the grease, making an off-balance moment or shaky turn infinitely more dangerous.

Do not ride with asshats

Motorcycle riding sometimes attracts a certain personality. "More balls than brains" is a gentle descriptor for these types. You'll know them by their highway wheelies and gratuitous throttling, always checking back to see who's looking. Need more identifiers? Look for Oakley Blades sunglasses.

Original artwork ©Necia Dallas

About 1/4 of riders (in my personal experience) fit this description. It's the type of personality which often self-eliminates from the riding population, and these guys make us all grimace a little. But what's important here is that you NOT RIDE WITH THESE TOOLS. If you do, their habit of foolish risk-taking, one-upsmanship and ego-jockeying will get you into as much trouble as they themselves get into and probably more, because you're newer at it.

I grew up part-time on Chuckanut Drive in Washington State, a super-twisty cliffside road that car ads are sometimes shot on. Both good and asshat riders alike love to stretch out on this road. I can think of at least three different riders we had to pick out of the trees below this road near our house, and those are just the ones I happened to be there for.

My own first and only serious accident was trying to keep up in unfamiliar territory (this was before GPS systems and ubiquitous cell phones) with a guy who was a cockfighting showoff. I'd only been riding for about two weeks steadily, and he led me into the twisties, then blasted off like a rocket through the corkscrews. My novice turning skills just weren't enough at high speeds and I was very lucky to have gone OFF the road rather than crossed INTO someone oncoming.

When you first start out (and really, how about always?) ride expressly with people who want what's best for everyone in the group, and who ride as a means to enjoy life not to unnecessarily extinguish it through seizures of unbridled jackassery.

Have fun out there, sailor!

Yoga pants......
That is a truly scary visual.
uhoh.gif

I had an interesting conversation with my sister this past week. She had taken my aging mother down from where they live in southern Maine to a major hospital in Massachusetts to visit one of Moms childhood friends, who had recently experienced a major stroke. Moms friend was recovering better than expected, but who knows for how long at their shared age of 88? I heard that they shared the same childhood story 4 or 5 times in the course of the hour visit. Cant wait to get like that.

While walking to the parking garage elevator my sister met a woman who looked familiar, and who also recognized her. They exchanged pleasantries and came to realize that we had all grown up in the same neighborhood section of the same nearby Boston suburb. It turned out that she was a girl that had graduated with me, and who had later married my best friend from back in high school. I never kept in touch with any of the old homies after heading off to the USN and the rest of the real world.

Yeah, I had previously snooped in social media enough to know of their marriage, and also that he had died fairly young (late 30s) leaving several young (Catholic) children behind with his wife. I had assumed that he had had the bad luck to get an early case of the dreaded C, but my sister found out that this wasnt the case. He had died in a motorcycle accident.

I know no details, and I dont want to contact her to get them. Some things are better left unknown. But it makes sense now as he was just as motorcycle crazy back in those days as the rest of us in our gear head group.

Still, it makes me wonder, why him and not me? Ive done a lot of stupid shit things in my life. Why did his pot get called and not mine? I will guarantee its not because Ive been far more careful out there, cause I really havent. Ive been very lucky on a number of occasions that could have gone really wrong, yet here I am now still.

My point here is that you can do whatever makes you feel safer. Take all the best precautions, and avoid all of the dangerous situations. Never take any chances. But there is still no guarantee. Like the carney barker says: You buy your ticket and you take your chances.

The only thing that is for sure in this life is that we are all going to check out some day, one way or another. And we never know when or how. So do the things that you think are important, and makes you happy, whatever that is, and do it now, cause you never know if youll get another chance tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had an interesting conversation with my sister this past week. She had taken my aging mother down from where they live in southern Maine to a major hospital in Massachusetts to visit one of Moms childhood friends, who had recently experienced a major stroke. Moms friend was recovering better than expected, but who knows for how long at their shared age of 88? I heard that they shared the same childhood story 4 or 5 times in the course of the hour visit. Cant wait to get like that.
While walking to the parking garage elevator my sister met a woman who looked familiar, and who also recognized her. They exchanged pleasantries and came to realize that we had all grown up in the same neighborhood section of the same nearby Boston suburb. It turned out that she was a girl that had graduated with me, and who had later married my best friend from back in high school. I never kept in touch with any of the old homies after heading off to the USN and the rest of the real world.

Yeah, I had previously snooped in social media enough to know of their marriage, and also that he had died fairly young (late 30s) leaving several young (Catholic) children behind with his wife. I had assumed that he had had the bad luck to get an early case of the dreaded C, but my sister found out that this wasnt the case. He had died in a motorcycle accident.

I know no details, and I dont want to contact her to get them. Some things are better left unknown. But it makes sense now as he was just as motorcycle crazy back in those days as the rest of us in our gear head group.

Still, it makes me wonder, why him and not me? Ive done a lot of stupid shit things in my life. Why did his pot get called and not mine? I will guarantee its not because Ive been far more careful out there, cause I really havent. Ive been very lucky on a number of occasions that could have gone really wrong, yet here I am now still.

My point here is that you can do whatever makes you feel safer. Take all the best precautions, and avoid all of the dangerous situations. Never take any chances. But there is still no guarantee. Like the carney barker says: You buy your ticket and you take your chances.

The only thing that is for sure in this life is that we are all going to check out some day, one way or another. And we never know when or how. So do the things that you think are important, and makes you happy, whatever that is, and do it now, cause you never know if youll get another chance tomorrow.
That's a great summary of how I feel about things. I'm watching my parents aging now and know that the end for them is in the not-too-distant future. Can they maintain a reasonable quality of life at this point and if so, for how long? Is that where I want to end up? i'm pretty sure not, so I'm still doing stuff that's too dangerous for most 50 somethings and honestly not being overly concerned with the safety aspects.

I've been trying to convince my wife that if something catastrophic happens to me on one of my ridiculous trips or adventures, its really a win for her. The life insurance from work pays off to the tune of a couple $M, and then that and the retirement money goes twice as far since there's one less mouth to feed (and no a$$ to wipe when I can't do it for myself
uhoh.gif
) so it's like a 10x improvement in her quality of life. Even more upside is that she can pursue the pool boy she's been drooling over all these years!

Chinese space junk about to fall. Could take someone out. Never saw it .
uhoh.gif
That's the risk we take. Make the best of it.

I just pulled out my copy of Dave Hough's "The Good Rider" to start the season with a refresher course before i start my season. It helps me wipe some of the cobwebs away and get my mind right. His stories put me in the saddle and get me thinking about all that space junk in our way.

Forgot Bambi. Been riding Chuckanut for many years, past to present, nice road with character, views, rocks and exposure, not a boogie road by any stretch (my opinion), nowadays idiots on bicycles abound as well as those finding creative parking spots. Also the once in a while the huge motorhome taking the scenic route.

Sitting here in the pre-dawn with a cup of coffee while the wifey slumbers away and a lovely fire gently burning in front of me. Listening to soft classical music. Then, I get the added bonus of reading such extraordinary life (riding) philosophy from the likes of BigjohnSD and Fred W. What a great way to start the day.

Thanks guys. I'm really going to miss stuff like this if this forum fades away.

The statement about not riding with idiot riders strikes home. About 15 years ago, a (20 years) younger coworker, whom was new to riding, invited his roommate to ride along with us one Saturday morning. I was leading (we were on sportbikes), and noticed in my mirrors that the new guy, let's call him Sean, was really messing up some corners, so I backed off a little. An hour into the ride, at our first gas stop, he was saying something wasn't right with his bike, suggesting maybe his tires were off in some way. We checked the pressures, and they were fine. It became apparent to the other 2 or 3 of us that Sean wasn't used to riding in a group of more experienced riders, whom liked to travel at a relatively sporting pace. (OK, I'm not saying we were riding like Valentino, but you get my drift). We told him to just relax, and take it easy. We backed off our usual pace for the rest of the day, figuring we didn't want the guy to crash, for one, and secondly, maybe we can help him become a safer rider, so he could really enjoy his rides.

Fast forward a few months, and a couple of our regular group decided to go riding one Saturday. Unbeknown to us, my coworker, who couldn't go riding that day, had mentioned the ride to his roommate, Sean. So Sean shows up at our meeting place, and rides along with us. About 20 miles into our ride, on a twisty piece of road, with a guardrail and river on one side of the road, and a narrow ditch and limestone rock face on the other side, he runs wide coming out of a corner, while passing a milk tanker semi. I was again leading, and didn't see it happen, but the guy behind me saw it in his mirrors. He went into the ditch at about 80 mph, and rode the bike back onto the road. Five miles later, at a stop sign in a little town, my buddy Jason (VERY experienced at all types of riding) asks Sean, "Hey, did you go in the ditch back there?" Sean says, "Yeah, but it was no big deal. C'mon, let's haul ass!" Jason and I pulled off to the side of the road...."Wait a minute. Let's take a little break here to make sure you're relaxed and fine to ride." He say's "Naw, F*ck that. I'm fine. Let's go!" While he's saying that, he's dumping gravel out of his road race boots, and there's weeds and grass hanging out from the bottom of his bike. Needless to say, Jason and I took it very slowly the rest of the day, and shortened our planned ride considerably. Back at work Monday morning, I told my coworker to NEVER tell Sean that we were going on a ride again. I never rode with him again, but those other two guys did, just once more. Gee, I bet you can't guess how that went. Yup, trying to keep up on a tight section, he rode off into the ditch. Thankfully, it was a really tight section of road, so the speed was low, there were no injuries, and the bike was rideable. But he never rode with any of us again, thankfully.

So, it may sound a little elitist, but I am very picky about whom I ride with. I've made plenty of mistakes while riding, with the biggest ones occurring in my youth, when I was inexperienced. I was lucky to start riding with a couple older, more experienced riders, who helped me along, and then attended several track days and safety courses over the last 20 years. I know how lucky I am to have not been seriously hurt or seriously killed when I was young, and have taken steps to try to not become dead while riding. But I, like most of you, can't imagine giving up the pleasure I get from riding motorcycles. I'm 60 years old, and don't know how much longer I'll be able to ride, but I want to keep riding for as long as possible. You never know if your next ride will be your last. Be safe, be alert, use your skills, and enjoy the hell out of your next ride. Hopefully, I'll meet you on the road someday.

The statement about not riding with idiot riders strikes home. About 15 years ago, a (20 years) younger coworker, whom was new to riding, invited his roommate to ride along with us one Saturday morning. I was leading (we were on sportbikes), and noticed in my mirrors that the new guy, let's call him Sean, was really messing up some corners, so I backed off a little. An hour into the ride, at our first gas stop, he was saying something wasn't right with his bike, suggesting maybe his tires were off in some way. We checked the pressures, and they were fine. It became apparent to the other 2 or 3 of us that Sean wasn't used to riding in a group of more experienced riders, whom liked to travel at a relatively sporting pace. (OK, I'm not saying we were riding like Valentino, but you get my drift). We told him to just relax, and take it easy. We backed off our usual pace for the rest of the day, figuring we didn't want the guy to crash, for one, and secondly, maybe we can help him become a safer rider, so he could really enjoy his rides.
Fast forward a few months, and a couple of our regular group decided to go riding one Saturday. Unbeknown to us, my coworker, who couldn't go riding that day, had mentioned the ride to his roommate, Sean. So Sean shows up at our meeting place, and rides along with us. About 20 miles into our ride, on a twisty piece of road, with a guardrail and river on one side of the road, and a narrow ditch and limestone rock face on the other side, he runs wide coming out of a corner, while passing a milk tanker semi. I was again leading, and didn't see it happen, but the guy behind me saw it in his mirrors. He went into the ditch at about 80 mph, and rode the bike back onto the road. Five miles later, at a stop sign in a little town, my buddy Jason (VERY experienced at all types of riding) asks Sean, "Hey, did you go in the ditch back there?" Sean says, "Yeah, but it was no big deal. C'mon, let's haul ass!" Jason and I pulled off to the side of the road...."Wait a minute. Let's take a little break here to make sure you're relaxed and fine to ride." He say's "Naw, F*ck that. I'm fine. Let's go!" While he's saying that, he's dumping gravel out of his road race boots, and there's weeds and grass hanging out from the bottom of his bike. Needless to say, Jason and I took it very slowly the rest of the day, and shortened our planned ride considerably. Back at work Monday morning, I told my coworker to NEVER tell Sean that we were going on a ride again. I never rode with him again, but those other two guys did, just once more. Gee, I bet you can't guess how that went. Yup, trying to keep up on a tight section, he rode off into the ditch. Thankfully, it was a really tight section of road, so the speed was low, there were no injuries, and the bike was rideable. But he never rode with any of us again, thankfully.

So, it may sound a little elitist, but I am very picky about whom I ride with. I've made plenty of mistakes while riding, with the biggest ones occurring in my youth, when I was inexperienced. I was lucky to start riding with a couple older, more experienced riders, who helped me along, and then attended several track days and safety courses over the last 20 years. I know how lucky I am to have not been seriously hurt or seriously killed when I was young, and have taken steps to try to not become dead while riding. But I, like most of you, can't imagine giving up the pleasure I get from riding motorcycles. I'm 60 years old, and don't know how much longer I'll be able to ride, but I want to keep riding for as long as possible. You never know if your next ride will be your last. Be safe, be alert, use your skills, and enjoy the hell out of your next ride. Hopefully, I'll meet you on the road someday.
Just call me Sean. When I got up here to South Carolina from Florida three years ago, I hooked up with a group called Carolina Old Farts Sport Touring Association, I let the OLD FARTS part fool me, but when I went riding with them I was completely out of my element. Even though they waited for me every now and then, and told me "not to worry about not being able to keep up" my Ego kept saying to me "try harder". Each time I went with them, I would run wide on a corner or two and I very seldom was comfortable and never "smooth". I quit riding with them after a few rides, they didn't need me and I sure wasn't enjoying myself, as my Ego berated me for not being able to keep up, and my sensible mind being scared to death two or three times during each ride.

I still like to go to the mountains and I still try to scrub the "chicken strips" off my tires and go through each section as smoothly and quickly as I can, and I can still put almost all cruisers and wannabe sport bikers way behind me, but I do it without scaring myself. DO NOT LET YOUR EGO KILL YOU. LOL

... I'm 60 years old, and don't know how much longer I'll be able to ride, but I want to keep riding for as long as possible. You never know if your next ride will be your last. Be safe, be alert, use your skills, and enjoy the hell out of your next ride. ...
Well, I'm still riding at 75, so you should have a few years left.
As for group rides, I started with a commercial organisation, when I was relatively inexperienced. Very fortunate to go for this one, it was a pot luck choice at a motorcycle show. It was run by a very experienced rider (by coincidence he was on an FJR, I was on a Trophy), who judged his clientele and led the group accordingly. Had quite strict rules, like normally no overtaking within the group, ride within your own limits, and most importantly, you are responsible for your own ride. Learned a lot, and made many motorcycling friends, some of whom I will be going with to Spain in May.

I've only once come off at more than 2mph. I was late for work. 100 yards from home, turning out at the end of my road. Leaned the bike over, opened the snatchy throttle on my '06, and promptly low-sided. I had disobeyed one of my own rules: if you are in a hurry, take the car.

There are a couple of things I don't want to do, dye in a Nursing Home or a Motorcycle related accident. I wouldn't want to put my son thru that, he is talking getting a motorcycle and his wife isn't liking the idea and me dying on one wouldn't help. So what am I saying is Ride your ride and come home at the end of the day.

A lot of good points made here, and agree that each of us has a number and a ending we don't get to choose, I think passing while racking my yard would be fine, tomorrow at 66 or 30 years from now at 96.

What did Will Rogers say? "Lord, let me live till I dye"

Like Fred said;

"The only thing that is for sure in this life is that we are all going to check out some day, one way or another. And we never know when or how. So do the things that you think are important, and makes you happy, whatever that is, and do it now, cause you never know if youll get another chance tomorrow. "

do not force yourself to do anything you are not comfortable with, riding is a self regulating sport, riding in a group, to me, is more about socializing, which I enjoy at times. Ride riding to me is almost a solitary sport, good partners are difficult to find because of differences in style not necessarily abilitys. Three or more can be a crowd,although most people will not say this. The less variables the safer, especially if one is moving right along. Also not to invite yourself along on someone elses ride, wait for an invite, if any.

Call me Sean as well.

Learned to ride in the mid-1970s with no training, while stationed at Pearl Harbor. It was Hawaii and we were young. Standard riding gear was a helmet, t-shirt, sneakers or flip-flops, and shorts. I preferred nylon running shorts because I could jump directly into a swimming pool or the Pacific. How did I avoid crashing and killing myself? Who knows.

Only been down once at a speed over 5 mph -- but it was a 20 mph crash into knee-deep water that didn't injure me or my armored gear.

Have I been lucky? Absolutely. Always careful, cautious, and conservative ..... but lucky, too.

... I'm 60 years old, and don't know how much longer I'll be able to ride, but I want to keep riding for as long as possible. You never know if your next ride will be your last. Be safe, be alert, use your skills, and enjoy the hell out of your next ride. ...
Well, I'm still riding at 75, so you should have a few years left.
As for group rides, I started with a commercial organisation, when I was relatively inexperienced. Very fortunate to go for this one, it was a pot luck choice at a motorcycle show. It was run by a very experienced rider (by coincidence he was on an FJR, I was on a Trophy), who judged his clientele and led the group accordingly. Had quite strict rules, like normally no overtaking within the group, ride within your own limits, and most importantly, you are responsible for your own ride. Learned a lot, and made many motorcycling friends, some of whom I will be going with to Spain in May.

I've only once come off at more than 2mph. I was late for work. 100 yards from home, turning out at the end of my road. Leaned the bike over, opened the snatchy throttle on my '06, and promptly low-sided. I had disobeyed one of my own rules: if you are in a hurry, take the car.
SEE, I told you guys that told me not to worry about the snatchy throttle on my 07 that it was dangerous.