Road Glide or Road King?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoWhldTerror

Reaction score
So I have a dilemma. I am planning a trip out to the NW in August which you can read about here: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=145560

The thing is the reason for this trip is to see my birth father whom I have not seen in over 20 years. While there I am adding in a motorcycle trip. So I have had myself flying into Salt Lake City or Spokane and getting a bike a doing 4.5 days of riding and then spending the rest of the time with my pops. I have even considered flying into Seattle and renting a bike. I would do this so I can rent a BMW (either GS or RT).

With that said, it would mean a heavy day's riding that final Saturday (Sep 1) to get back to the airport in time (400+ miles). Which happens to be my birthday and thus cutting into "dad" time. I am now thinking of flying into Boise, ID which is about an hour from my dad's place and renting from there. The only thing is the ONLY bike rental place is Harley. I could get a Road King or Road Glide. I have never ridden either, and of course my routes are all twisty mountain roads and byways (where I can get them! :lol: ).

Visiting my dad is the number one thing...so I am considering it. The only thing I do not know is how these bikes ride? I have owned multiple bikes, from sportbikes to a metric cruiser to my current FJR. I LOVE my FJR and know the HD's are not that, but can I enjoy the ride? See the sites and have fun on one of these? I know this sounds stupid but I am truly clueless on Harley's.

If you have experience with these bikes, which one would you choose?

Thanks.

Harleys have never been my first choice but there are alot of them out there with a bunch of miles. I have ridden a Street Glide and I like it. My cousin who organizes our yearly trip to wherever has the Street Glide and he stays with the FJR and the ST just fine. We could outrun him and outcorner him but that would mean pushing harder than we want to. You would think that the Street Glide and Road Glide with their factory lowered suspension would be dragging the mufflers in every curve but it ain't that bad. Once you get used to the feet forward seating and the fact that you do all your turning with your arms it's pretty nice. It will make you realize how much body language you use when turning your FJR. My Harley friends (yes, I have some!) tell me that the Road Glide is a better handling bike than the Street Glide because the fairing is frame mounted instead of bar mounted. I would adjust my expectation level to the Harley, I would not try to make unfair comparisons to the FJR and I would enjoy the hell out of it.

A pic of the Street Glide on the Pig Trail in Arkansas. That trailer was full and so was the ice chest. That bike did just fine.

IMG_2504.jpg
">

I would pick the Road Glide. I've ridden both and the Road Glide is better suited for touring IMO. You'll enjoy the factory cruise control and stereo system.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have ridden both and I liked the road king. I felt it was lighter and handled better. For what you are doing it really doesn't matter much and either bike will do and neither will be like an FJR.

roadking king rides much smaller than the glide. you will enjoy the short time you have on the roadking as its pretty much jump on and feel comfy.the longer time you have and the farther you plan on going....ROADGLIDE!!!!!!PS you WILL have fun on either bike !!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone. I do plan on time in the saddle...close to 1800 miles in five days. Based on everything I think I will look at the Road King.

Just to complicate the mix, a few years back we had a visitor from England--Orestes on the forum--who flew into the NW and rented an FJR and did the hell out of the whole American West. You could Google "Orestes site:fjrforum.com" and find lots of info and pics from that trip. The point is, he got that FJR somewhere in the Northwest. He used an outfit called "FlyrideUSA.com" (well, except for the dot com). I see their website still offers FJRs. They may have more than one pickup location, too, but I see a note that says that one is Bend, OR. Not all that far from southern Idaho.

Orestes--Dave--a nice guy, too. PM him about his experiences with that outfit, maybe. Have a great trip and visit.

That sounds like an expensive way to travel. On top of renting the Harley, you'll also have to rent a trailer and vehicle to pull it from town to town. Don't forget some sturdy tie-downs! :D

Here's the set up you'll need when you reach the highway:

DSCF0196.jpg

I would take an opportunity like this to enjoy riding a bike I had never ridden and had no intention of buying. Especially if I was out of my home area and none of my friends could see me. It's not like you are cheating on your wife, your motorcycle will not mind. I have kicked around the idea of a Fly-n-ride vacation for a while now but it's never happened. Broaden your horizons, ride the Harley and then come back and post a ride report with your impressions of the different bike. You might find yourself understanding the Harley guys a little better and you will probably re-affirm your logic in buying the FJR. Have fun.

We are renting a 'Wing from these folks in a couple of weeks. They have FJR's, BMW's, 'Wings, but don't know about Harleys. Got a good recommendation from a forum member here, he apparently has rented from them three or four times.

M/C Rental

I would take an opportunity like this to enjoy riding a bike I had never ridden and had no intention of buying. Especially if I was out of my home area and none of my friends could see me. It's not like you are cheating on your wife, your motorcycle will not mind. I have kicked around the idea of a Fly-n-ride vacation for a while now but it's never happened. Broaden your horizons, ride the Harley and then come back and post a ride report with your impressions of the different bike. You might find yourself understanding the Harley guys a little better and you will probably re-affirm your logic in buying the FJR. Have fun.
Hey Redfish, what is an intelligent and reasonable person such as yourself doing on THIS forum.

Great advice, we should try in our everyday life.

FWIW, seems lots of places that rent Harleys also rent Buells too. However, that was a couple years ago before Buell got the boot. May wanna ask though to see if there is a Ulysses available. You'll have tons of fun.

Hey Redfish, what is an intelligent and reasonable person such as yourself doing on THIS forum.

Great advice, we should try in our everyday life.
I'm on this forum because I can't afford the BMW forum. The Honda ST1300 forum wants to ban me but then there would only be three of them...Trust me, I am not always intelligent and reasonable. This was a rare moment for me.

I just bought a Road Glide.

Why fight a fork mounted fairing when you can go frame mounted and have less fatigue?

my 2 cents

Road Glide, killer stereo and much better weather protection. You could very well run into moisture in the hills.

I have done the "Fly and Ride" a couple times on Wings and it's perfect when your on a time crunch. Buy the best insurance they offer, remember they do have your Credit Card on file and will be happy to use it if shit happens.

Well it turns out I cannot get a Road Glide, just a Street Glide (they do not offer the Road Glide). Based on what I have read the Road Glide is better than the Road King, but the RK beats the Street Glide for long hauling from what I hear.

Redfish, that is part of my thought process as well. I think I will go test ride a Road King to ensure I will like it since I will be on the saddle for 1500+ miles!

Well it turns out I cannot get a Road Glide, just a Street Glide (they do not offer the Road Glide). Based on what I have read the Road Glide is better than the Road King, but the RK beats the Street Glide for long hauling from what I hear.
The Street Glide and Road King are both based on the same basic chassis - HD's touring chassis. So the main differences from there are aesthetics (not an issue here since you're not buying), riding position (due to the different handlebars), and doo-dads.

Look at the differences in the weather protection: the SG has the batwing faring, and the RK has a big-ass windshield. If you're gonna get wet, the SG's batwing will offer better protection. Plus I think the SG has a stereo (if you like music when you ride) and cruise control (GREAT for the slab).

Harley dealers are everywhere. Swing by one and check 'em both out in person first. FWIW I take my FJR to the HD dealer where I bought my Ultra Classic all the time and have never, ever received any derogatory comments. If anything, the most surprising conversation I had was with a grizzled Harley guy who not only knew it was a Yamaha and not a BMW, but had very interesting comparison experience between the FJR, Connie and BMW whatever-the-hell-something-R.

I do expect a kick-ass, epic ride report when you're back home, safe and sound.

Latest posts