Robert Pirsig, Author of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, Passes Away at the Age of 88

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugman

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.motorcycledaily.com/2017/04/robert-pirsig-author-of-zen-and-the-art-of-motorcycle-maintenance-passes-away-at-the-age-of-88/

I really liked that book.

“In a car you’re always in a compartment, and because you’re used to it you don’t realize that through that car window everything you see is just more TV. You’re a passive observer and it is all moving by you boringly in a frame. On a cycle the frame is gone. You’re completely in contact with it all. You’re in the scene, not just watching it anymore, and the sense of presence is overwhelming.”

Later on he wrote: “The motorcycle is mainly a mental phenomenon. People who have never worked with steel have trouble seeing this.”

Another book that recreated the first ride "Zen and Now" by Mark Richardson

Last edited by a moderator:
Sad. I read his book, twice, in high school. His perspective and philosophy sunk deeply into my young, receptive mind.

Most people confuse bi polar with Schizophrenia. Two totally separate diseases. Schizophrenia develops mostly in males between the ages of 17 to 25 years of age. They can grow up normal and then all of a sudden change. Till this day there is no cure and no cause as to why it happens. Some of them eventually learn to cope with it and some do not. The best way to explain it is there minds never shut down.

enough said,

Dave

I suppose most of us who read it did so in our much younger years, but it had a tone that I still remember well. Something he said about motorcycles that always stayed with me was how he admired that there was a reason for everything on a motorcycle; everything was functional--everything served its purpose and it was all necessary. Guess that's some of the Zen part.

Helped me become a motorcycle guy. Pretty sure I could still find a copy on one of my shelves around here.

He died a couple of months ago. Personally, I was already well past my introduction to motorcycles, professional mechanic activities, road racing, scrambles,etc. when he wrote it. I was in to my second career in mechanical engineering.

I thought it was a pseudo-philosophical load of drivel. I did minor in English, so it wasn't that as an engineer that I could not appreciate literature.

I looked up contemporary reviews of his work when he died. I could see that I was in the minority. The book was popular, literally for decades. So it spoke to a lot of folks.

I think this book was probably a cementer of my personal sense that there is a difference between how people perceive the world and their hobbies.

I think the title was well chosen for its sales potential. Many dream of such sustained success with a single title.

Maybe you would appreciate something more along the likes of Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry into the Value of Work by Matthew B. Crawford. He owns and operates Shockoe Moto, an independent motorcycle repair shop in Richmond, Virginia.

Or if it's just the journey then Blue Highways: A Journey into America by William Least Heat-Moon.

Its summer. Time to put down the books and ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tend to agree more with El-Toro. I didn't get anything out of the book, although Zen and the Art of Archery did speak to me, but I read that first, and considered the motorcycle book to be a cheap rip-off by someone who really didn't understand, and who probably ate a bit too much peyote while writing. Anyway, if it was to your liking then that's OK too.

Sorry, admirers, I, too am in the minority. I wasn't impressed with his book, but I get why he wrote it. Same with Neil Peart's "Ghostrider". I like Mr. Peart, I like his band, I like his intelligence, and nobody can ignore the devastation of losing both his daughter and then his wife in such a short span of time. And I think he is a tireless perfectionist who worked harder than almost anyone, and was never satisfied with his latest effort, and that he has earned every accolade and financial benefit that he has received. It was that financial security that allowed him to take a year off from all his possible responsibilities to ride tens of thousands of miles to try to deal with the cruelty he was dealt. His hard work earned him the capability to do just that. But I couldn't help but think of Joe Average that would have had to take a few days off work after losing his daughter and wife, then get right back to making a living. I'm sure writing the book after his travels was cathartic, just as I assume it was for Mr. Pirsig, rest his soul. But as far as the books, they just weren't my thing. (Give me Kevin Cameron, and the occasional Peter Egan)

And I know two people very well whom have schizophrenia. A very difficult, scary, heartbreaking condition. I've seen what it can do to a family. I give thanks every day that I'm only dim-witted and slow, and not so severely impaired.

Sorry, admirers, I, too am in the minority. I wasn't impressed with his book, but I get why he wrote it. Same with Neil Peart's "Ghostrider". I like Mr. Peart, I like his band, I like his intelligence, and nobody can ignore the devastation of losing both his daughter and then his wife in such a short span of time. And I think he is a tireless perfectionist who worked harder than almost anyone, and was never satisfied with his latest effort, and that he has earned every accolade and financial benefit that he has received. It was that financial security that allowed him to take a year off from all his possible responsibilities to ride tens of thousands of miles to try to deal with the cruelty he was dealt. His hard work earned him the capability to do just that. But I couldn't help but think of Joe Average that would have had to take a few days off work after losing his daughter and wife, then get right back to making a living. I'm sure writing the book after his travels was cathartic, just as I assume it was for Mr. Pirsig, rest his soul. But as far as the books, they just weren't my thing. (Give me Kevin Cameron, and the occasional Peter Egan)
And I know two people very well whom have schizophrenia. A very difficult, scary, heartbreaking condition. I've seen what it can do to a family. I give thanks every day that I'm only dim-witted and slow, and not so severely impaired.
You've expressed my sentiment exactly! If I only had a million dollars? My family has to deal with a member who is struggling with mental health difficulties. There appears to be no end. I find it very hard to maintain a positive outlook! Thanks