Ruger LC9s

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have several Ruger revolvers and a Ruger home defense shotgun. I love all of them. My LCP not so much. It conceals well but is really hard for me to shoot. I hate the long trigger pull. I am really thinking of replacing it as my concealed carry gun. I have a Taurus model 85 revolver that shoots 10x more accurate but is harder to conceal. Living in Florida it's hard to conceal because I almost never wear a jacket. Thought of the LC9 but really wanted the ease of concealment with the LCP. Maybe the wrong choice?

Lots of practice has helped with the LCP. When I first got it the safest place for anyone else to stand was probably in front of the target.

Does the LC9 trigger feel similar to the LCP?

I really want to shoot a LCR. I just seem to like revolvers better anyway.

I agree about the trigger on the LCP. I augmented mine with an after market Crimson Trace laser and find that, at closing distances, it helps a lot with shot placement; more so than [the same laser on] a larger, easier to manage pistol or revolver.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know much but my stock carry rig is a .357 mag Ruger LCR in a Kydex holster. Fits snugly in the holster (click!) and the holster stays put on my hip. Very good sense of security. I have several Ruger firearms. For some reason they appeal to me. I don't want to think too much about what I carry so revolvers work best for me. Revolvers aren't nearly as cool or interesting as semi-auto pieces but function they do and well. Simplicity and predictability count for a lot to me.

Brought it home yesterday, dis-assembled it and cleaned last night, went to range for break-in today. Seems to prefer 147 grain bullets. Winchester 115s were about a 6inch group at 10 yards, Blazer 115s kicked a bit and were about a 6 to 8 inch group, Winchester SXT 147grain came in at 3 and 1/2 inches. Point of impact about 2inches high with a 6 O'clock hold and generally to the left a bit. Might have been pushing trigger a bit, weather was abysmal, glasses tended to fog, light was poor (outdoor range) but it was a fair start for the little ruger. Set of grips probably in order.

While doing a little research on ammunition for my Kimber just now, I ran into several comments (Cabela's, Midway) stating the LC9 would not load hollow point ammo reliably. Don't have one personally, so it is just hearsay. Something to consider, though.

What's not very inspiring is a bunch of dipshits buying guns and posting suggestions on that Ruger forum, when they have no idea what the Hell they are talking about.

I could not own a gun store. I'd go out of business for refusing to sell guns to people who think they know what they're doing, but don't.

Don't worry about those idiots. Rugers are not the best gun out there, but they are built well, and are normally very reliable. Proper operation will probably net you no problems. Run some rounds through it and let it break in. It should be fine. If not, send it back to Ruger and they'll polish it up and clean up any edges for you.

HRZ's right. Contact the maker.

I had a 2nd hand Charter Arms AR-7 22LR rifle I got years ago. I cleaned and cleaned it and never could get a clean patch out of it. It grouped like a shotgun and there were frequent profile holes where it was obvious the bullet was tumbling; 25 and 50 yards both.

Contacted the manufacturer about buying a new bbl since I concluded that it was shot out.

They said to send it to them and returned me a new bbl for free.

This wasn't even a high-dollar mfgr and they stepped up to the plate to make sure their product was safe and worked properly.

My first Ruger was a P85 seems like a hunnert years ago. Ruger was up against the Beretta 92 for federal sidearm contracts, and lost. I didn't care about that because the Beretta cost more, almost double, and I saw no value in that extra cost.

It was clinched one afternoon while I was in the library (I mean, book store) reading a gun mag that tested the P85. For some godforsaken reason they took it upon themselves to thread the barrel and plug it with a bolt. Then they fired it. The ejector hook removed itself from the slide. After replacing that and removing the bolt-plug, the gun performed normally, just as accurately and reliably as before. That impressed little gullible me and I bought one. I've always had a soft spot for Ruger since then, although I've only had two others, a 10-22 rifle (which is another true wonder) and a P89, an upgrade to the P85 that I bought some time after selling the P85 during a time of slim pickings, and I had to pay the power bill..... I have used, borrowed, rented many other Rugers, but I've only owned those two.

My current 9 is a S&W SD9 VE, striker-fired, and I just can't deal with the trigger.... got to find a guy to work on it, or find a different gun.

I have a slug of handguns & carry 24/7. My daily carry is a Kel-tec Pf9. It's an inexpensive gun that shoots very well. I figure if it is somehow stolen I'm only out $300.00. I've never had a mis-fire with this gun but when I loaned it to my 70 year-old FIL it jammed almost every round he fired. I wasn't there but I know he was limp wristing it. When I brought it home I put over 100 rounds through it ...no issues.

When I'm headed to high crime areas & feel I need more firepower I carry either a Sig 228 or my FNH 5.7 x 28mm with a 30 round mag.

Shot placement is king. Caliber size is secondary.

So, to change the subject a little bit----how do you guys deal with the different laws and permitt recognition regarding concealed carry when riding cross country. For example: New Mexico recognizes most other states permits but the indian reservations in NM have their own rules that are hard to find and in most reservations it's illegal to carry and it's hard to know when you are in a reservation. Just curious.

There are several smart phone apps will help keep you up-to-date with the the gun laws of each state. CCW - Concealed Carry 50 State is popular and the one I use. It is updated regularly. I have an android phone but I believe it is available for the iPhone also.