Runs rough

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stray Bullet

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a low mileage 05 with Two Brothers exhaust. It pops when I let off the throttle, and sputters a bit at different rpms. I was thinking of getting a Power Commander but dont know which map would help. Two Brothers site states that fuel injected bikes will compensate for the changes on their own. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. And please dont shame me for putting these pipes on. They look SO much better, are a lot lighter, and sound great compared to stock.

Thanks, Rog

I also have the Two Brothers exhaust on my 2008 AE with a Power Commander. I bought the bike used and inherited the new mufflers. I have no Idea what map I'm running as the previous owner dialed it in. No pops, no nothing and smooth as silk. I put the tips on to reduce the sound about 10 db to be more courteous to my neighbors.

The cans never get hot to the touch either which is an upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Google "FJR Smoothness Map" or get an Auto Tune. The advantage to the AT is that it "should" build a map specifically for your mods. I have found it to be pretty good above about 2500 RPM and 10% throttle but hit and miss under that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks FJR Pilot

I cant find an “auto tune” for a PC3, which the 05 can use. Unless the PC 5 can be used on my bike with the AT, maybe?

Rog

Be aware that popping from the exhaust during deceleration is completely normal on a stock bike, just you don't hear the pops with the stock quiet exhaust. It is caused by the PAIR system injecting air into the exhaust stream during over-run. Many folks have got rid of that by deleting the PAIR system. At the very least you could unplug the solenoid and see if the popping goes away, then do a full PAIR delete later when you get a chance.

The auto tune only works with the PCV. I don't think the connections are any different for a Gen 1, so a PCV should work, but I'm not sure. Maybe someone who has had both could chip in.

If you find a PCIII, go with the smoothness map.

If you don't have fuelling "issues" try what Fred W suggested before doing anything else. Popping is just explosive combustion of unburnt fuel in the exhaust. With the PAIR removed (or disabled), there is no air to allow the combustion to take place within the muffler. The PC might make the bike a bit smoother by reducing the overly lean condition at idle and at lower RPM. It will also increase fuel consumption. (Little or no change in available horsepower)

On second thought, I’m not sure whether the PAIR solenoid is open or closed when unplugged. I have one buried in a box in my garage. I’ll have to take a look at it later today.

Just checked and the solenoid valve is wide open when de-energized, so you cant just unplug it to keep it closed. Have to plug the hose up somehow instead.

Thanks to Professor ionbeam for pointing this out to my by PM.