Russell Break in Period

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcgyver74

Reaction score
So I got my Russel today and rode with it for the first time.... First thing I noticed right off the bat is after 100 miles my butt felt fine whereas with the stock saddle I'd be in agony after an hour...

Other then that,

Few things I noticed...

1) It feels like every time I hard brake, I slide forward and slam my "boys" into the tank,

2) I feel like I can't lean as easily as I did before, it takes way more effort to push the bars to get into a lean...I can't use my body to get the bike to lean..(May be a good thing to make me focus on technique)

3) I no longer can flat foot the bike, it's not bad but still there

I know that Russell will adjust it if necessary, but I'm hoping it's just going to take some time to break in, so I'm going to ride a few hundred miles tomorrow and then Sunday some friends and I are doing an almost 500 mile run to Syracuse for Lunch, hopefully after that it will be better...

Has this been the case for anyone else?

The "wings" will soften a bit allowing some lateral movement (sliding over). You will form the "poocket" a little keeping you from sliding but some have not been satisfied and have returned their saddle to have some padding built up to keep them from sliding forward.

I was able to do a "ride in" and mine has been perfect for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went out for 200 ish miles today and it feels a little better. so i'm hopefull....Plus my butt is not sore :)

Tomorrow Im doing almost 500 miles, that will be the litmus test :)

I read that, however it doesn't say how much the seat will "settle" which is what I was asking for people's experiences with.

From searches, I see some people saying that they were too far forward and needed an adjustment, I was trying to gage if I need adjustment or if it just needs to settle in...

:)

I put mine on about 9,000 miles ago. When I first settled my butt into it, I slid to the rear and was concerned that I might need an adjustment. However, it fits me perfect, evenly distributing pressure with no hot spots, and the front high-rear low position is more comfortable than stock. I have not noticed any "break-in" with it. It continues to fit me like a... glove(???) :)

Damn near every seat they build will let you slide forward. It sucks

but doesn't really bother me anymore. i didn't want to give it up for months to send it back.

Damn near every seat they build will let you slide forward. It sucksbut doesn't really bother me anymore. i didn't want to give it up for months to send it back.
It's designed that way for a reason. As the OP noted, he can't flat foot while sitting in the pocket. The point of allowing you to slide forward is to allow you to better get your feet down if needed. If you're not happy with that feature, they will change it for you.

I didn't really notice any settling. 250 mile ride the day it came, 2k+ the next two days, felt fine the entire time. Something like 84k on it now, still feels just as good. I do have the heavyweight option though.