Scare today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had many people tell me that they were "startled to death" as a MC "split lanes" by them unexpectedly and it made them VERY MAD at the rider for scaring them. These were people who knew that I ride.
I have the same conversations with friends and acquaintances. I ask them if they check their mirrors and the traffic around them as often as they change radio stations or dial their cell phones? I use it as a lead in to tales about my exwife-unit's habit of "tunnel vision" driving. I once followed her for 2 miles and she didn't know I was there until I pulled next to her and honked the horn on the full-size Bronco I was driving. Inattention, by any other name, can still be fatal, and not just to motorcyclists!

[SIZE=12pt]Be careful out there! It is especially dangerous during the Holiday Season. People are more distracted and thinking about time off, coming vacation, guests arriving, Christmas shopping, etc.[/SIZE]

They really are not considering that they are the "guidance system" of a 2,000-4,500 lb. destructive missile. They do not comprehend they are "supposed" to be aware of things that happen around them. They've generally not accepted that driving is a responsibility and that other drivers are not a "distraction" to their conversation (cell or actual) or favorite commute tune.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I hadn't already been scanning and planning, it could have been really really nasty. I knew where everybody was, so I didn't stop so hard I'd get run over, and I didn't swerve into an occupied lane. So a reminder: Keep your eyes peeled, know everything that's happening within 2 seconds all around, be pretty sure of everything 4 seconds ahead, and have an awareness out to 12 seconds. Think what-if, and know what to do.
Good stuff!
Yes !! - good stuff

quote"" have the same conversations with friends and acquaintances. I ask them if they check their mirrors and the traffic around them as often as they change radio stations or dial their cell phones? I use it as a lead in to tales about my exwife-unit's habit of "tunnel vision" driving. I once followed her for 2 miles and she didn't know I was there until I pulled next to her and honked the horn on the full-size Bronco I was driving. Inattention, by any other name, can still be fatal, and not just to motorcyclists!

Be careful out there! It is especially dangerous during the Holiday Season. People are more distracted and thinking about time off, coming vacation, guests arriving, Christmas shopping, etc.

They really are not considering that they are the "guidance system" of a 2,000-4,500 lb. destructive missile. They do not comprehend they are "supposed" to be aware of things that happen around them. They've generally not accepted that driving is a responsibility and that other drivers are not a "distraction" to their conversation (cell or actual) or favorite commute tune""quote

And more good stuff.

Wow... And the giant purple elephant in the room would like to ask, "if you hadn't have been lane splitting, would you be writing this story?" I'm very glad to hear that you made it out the other side with nary a scrape or ding, but damn, just because it's legal doesn't mean it should be done or imply that it's safe.

Background on my opinion: I lived and drove in country (Indonesia) for 9 years where lane splitting is the rule of the road. A two lane road here is a 6 lane road there. And, being more attuned to having a motorcyclist come up out of my blind spot on either side of my vehicle than most motorists in this country, it still "startles" the shit out of me when a motorcyclist comes whizzing up the lane between me and another vehicle (like between me and an 18-wheel rig in CA recently). Folks, I have seen people crushed under truck wheels; brain matter mixed with lubricant and fuel, and I can assure that it is not the most appetizing of sights. I believe it's a practice that only invites a needless accident and all of our whining about how "cagers" are too preoccupied with their mobile phones, lunch, make-up, screaming babies, etc., to pay attention to us isn't going to change that fact. If anything, it's only getting worse.

So, in summary, I obviously feel very strongly about this subject and further advise seat belt use while having sex on a motorcycle. Thank you. :blink:

[SIZE=8pt]Wow... And the giant purple elephant in the room would like to ask, "if you hadn't have been lane splitting, would you be writing this story?" I'm very glad to hear that you made it out the other side with nary a scrape or ding, but damn, just because it's legal doesn't mean it should be done or imply that it's safe.[/SIZE]
Background on my opinion: I lived and drove in country (Indonesia) for 9 years where lane splitting is the rule of the road. A two lane road here is a 6 lane road there. And, being more attuned to having a motorcyclist come up out of my blind spot on either side of my vehicle than most motorists in this country, it still "startles" the shit out of me when a motorcyclist comes whizzing up the lane between me and another vehicle (like between me and an 18-wheel rig in CA recently). Folks, I have seen people crushed under truck wheels; brain matter mixed with lubricant and fuel, and I can assure that it is not the most appetizing of sights. I believe it's a practice that only invites a needless accident and all of our whining about how "cagers" are too preoccupied with their mobile phones, lunch, make-up, screaming babies, etc., to pay attention to us isn't going to change that fact. If anything, it's only getting worse.

So, in summary, I obviously feel very strongly about this subject and further advise seat belt use while having sex on a motorcycle. Thank you. :blink:
Fodder for another discussion and most typical for "reasoning" by those from states where land sharing isn't allowed. I've had the same incidents happen in work truck: 65' long, up to 70,000 lbs......uhm...I don't lane split with that vehicle. The average Some drivers aren't aware because they don't look. THAT is the point! Whenever workmates or friends start the discussion with me because I may be the only motorcyclist they know who can or will articulate my position with valid reason.

I will not defend those cyclists who treat the common highways and byways as their own private race track. The basis for this statement you made?

...it still "startles" the shit out of me when a motorcyclist comes whizzing up the lane between me and another vehicle...
A clever and wise motorcyclist will not "whiz" past slow cars, but pass them. I find that most motorists will make room and let me by (Yes, there are exceptions!) and I wave to thank them.
[SIZE=12pt]Legal lane sharing aside, this is a dangerous time to ride in any state. Please use caution: plan & scan.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Wow... And the giant purple elephant in the room would like to ask, "if you hadn't have been lane splitting, would you be writing this story?" I'm very glad to hear that you made it out the other side with nary a scrape or ding, but damn, just because it's legal doesn't mean it should be done or imply that it's safe.[/SIZE]

Fodder for another discussion and most typical for "reasoning" by those from states where land sharing isn't allowed. I've had the same incidents happen in work truck: 65' long, up to 70,000 lbs......uhm...I don't lane split with that vehicle. The average Some drivers aren't aware because they don't look. THAT is the point! Whenever workmates or friends start the discussion with me because I may be the only motorcyclist they know who can or will articulate my position with valid reason.

I will not defend those cyclists who treat the common highways and byways as their own private race track. The basis for this statement you made?

...it still "startles" the shit out of me when a motorcyclist comes whizzing up the lane between me and another vehicle...
A clever and wise motorcyclist will not "whiz" past slow cars, but pass them. I find that most motorists will make room and let me by (Yes, there are exceptions!) and I wave to thank them.
[SIZE=12pt]Legal lane sharing aside, this is a dangerous time to ride in any state. Please use caution: plan & scan.[/SIZE]

...I may be the only motorcyclist they know who can or will articulate my position with valid reason.
MM2: Then by all means, please articulate away! :huh:

I believe when "lane sharing" one must be most diligent. Many drivers don't like "anyone" to get one space ahead of them and won't even let other cages in line. Thus many bristle at a MC being able to 'beat' the jam and will not give you any space. True some will pull over in their lane and give you room. However that said, many drivers never think about someone on a MC coming faster than the flow and make their lane changes according to a slight openning in the other lane. I believe more people "dive" into another lane without signaling in stop and go (slow) traffic than at higher speeds where they more likely will signal. Many will jump lanes because they think that lane is moving slightly faster and they have to "jump now". The MC rider might be "dead" right; but----
You have to figure that there is a certain percentage of cagers that aren't aware of bikes being able to legally lane split, as it's illegal in most of the country. However, you should always look before changing lanes no matter what you happen to be driving. I can imagine that a bike in the rearview doesn't stand out so well while lane splitting either. Around here, drivers constantly reposition themselves in order to gain a better view of whatever is the cause for the back-up. A motorcycle headlight just may not be readily apparent, regardless of whether brights or low beam is used.

To me, the responsiblity for lane-splitting safely would lie nearly 100% with the rider. There are just too many ready-made excuses for motorist's to rely should something go wrong, and for the most part, their reasons would be valid given that the lane-splitting motorcyclist has, in effect, created his own imaginary lane. Perhaps DOT should stripe a 2WV lane in the middle and still have real estate left over for a somewhat narrower shoulder.

Splitting lanes. Anyone besides me see this as an accident waiting to happen? I stay continuously amazed splitting traffic is legal in some states.

Glad you made it, and here's to hoping your luck continues! :drinks:

...I may be the only motorcyclist they know who can or will articulate my position with valid reason.
OOohhhhh, I understand. You want to continue to "bang your drum" against lane sharing. You read one post of many and decide "lane sharing" is the issue rather than drivers refusing to use their mirrors or be aware vs. motorcyclist who cannot perceive danger and be prepared to avoid. Otherwise you might have read the #3 post by Southern FJR in Birmingham, AL or #4 post by wfooshee in Panama City, FL (two places where "lane sharing" is forbidden by law). Of course, like the IIHS, you assume a position and won't let facts or reporting in other posts (information) sway you from your intended course.

Whenever workmates or friends start the discussion with me because I may be the only motorcyclist they know who can or will articulate my position with valid reason.
You purposely took my statement about dealing with non-riders out of context in order to continue an argument. I think the above quote of mine does accurately state my intended meaning. Anyone should have been able to deduce I was speaking in terms about articulating a motorcyclists point of view and danger to those who are not knowledgeable yet are willing to ask and discuss. I believe the next sentence describes my feelings about those who use the priviledge in a cavalier and wreckless manner. Here again, I rely on the reader's ability to deduce and understand.

This thread is not an argument about lane sharing, as much as you'd like to make it so. It is about warning riders that this time of year is particularly dangerous because many drivers are even less aware and more worried about personal issues surrounding the holiday season (meals, guests arriving, days off, stores opening or closing, picking up the spiral-cut ham on time, etc.) and that we should ride with even more caution, using all the tools we have at our disposal includint the lessons taught by Larry Groedsky and David Hough. IIRC, they use terms like Hazard Awareness or Perception. Plan and scan, riders. Be ever vigilant.

Should you desire to continue the disussion on lane sharing, please follow this link to a list of forum discussions on the matter.

If you wish to continue to discuss lane splitting, use this link to a different set of posts.

After reading through those past postings, you can answer them and bring the discussion back to life in a venue designed for your debate. I believe you will find my ideas posted where this topic has been debated and discussed before.

Therefore I will not continue this discussion on this thread but await your response to those linked.

I agree whole heartedly here.This is a very dangerous time to be driving and cell phone usage while driving is as bad as a blowing up a breath meter with a high BAC.A week ago on a 4lane urban road pacing a Volvo in the left lane and me in the right lane.I was observing a woman talking her head off and not paying attention.As I approached an intersection I decided to drop back a few seconds.Light starts to change to red about 1000 feet ahead. First up at a redlight in the left lane that made the stop for the light was a construction dump truck.Sure enough the woman talking on her cell went around the truck and blew right through the light.Had I not been observant I would have been a pancake.She barely missed the woman crossing the street with the stroller heading for the park.Had the trucker not been looking and blew his horn she would have been hit.

OOohhhhh, I understand. You want to continue to "bang your drum" against lane sharing. You read one post of many and decide "lane sharing" is the issue rather than drivers refusing to use their mirrors or be aware vs. motorcyclist who cannot perceive danger and be prepared to avoid. Otherwise you might have read the #3 post by Southern FJR in Birmingham, AL or #4 post by wfooshee in Panama City, FL (two places where "lane sharing" is forbidden by law). Of course, like the IIHS, you assume a position and won't let facts or reporting in other posts (information) sway you from your intended course.

Whenever workmates or friends start the discussion with me because I may be the only motorcyclist they know who can or will articulate my position with valid reason.
You purposely took my statement about dealing with non-riders out of context in order to continue an argument. I think the above quote of mine does accurately state my intended meaning. Anyone should have been able to deduce I was speaking in terms about articulating a motorcyclists point of view and danger to those who are not knowledgeable yet are willing to ask and discuss. I believe the next sentence describes my feelings about those who use the priviledge in a cavalier and wreckless manner. Here again, I rely on the reader's ability to deduce and understand.

This thread is not an argument about lane sharing, as much as you'd like to make it so. It is about warning riders that this time of year is particularly dangerous because many drivers are even less aware and more worried about personal issues surrounding the holiday season (meals, guests arriving, days off, stores opening or closing, picking up the spiral-cut ham on time, etc.) and that we should ride with even more caution, using all the tools we have at our disposal includint the lessons taught by Larry Groedsky and David Hough. IIRC, they use terms like Hazard Awareness or Perception. Plan and scan, riders. Be ever vigilant.

Should you desire to continue the disussion on lane sharing, please follow this link to a list of forum discussions on the matter.

If you wish to continue to discuss lane splitting, use this link to a different set of posts.

After reading through those past postings, you can answer them and bring the discussion back to life in a venue designed for your debate. I believe you will find my ideas posted where this topic has been debated and discussed before.

Therefore I will not continue this discussion on this thread but await your response to those linked.
Thank you, Sir! May I have another?

...." have the same conversations with friends and acquaintances. I ask them if they check their mirrors and the traffic around them as often as they change radio stations or dial their cell phones? I use it as a lead in to tales about my exwife-unit's habit of "tunnel vision" driving. I once followed her for 2 miles and she didn't know I was there until I pulled next to her and honked the horn on the full-size Bronco I was driving. Inattention, by any other name, can still be fatal, and not just to motorcyclists!
As a 20yo I taught Zea to drive. To this day (3 decades plus a bit later) she still remembers the lessons: "what colour is the car behind you", "what was the last road sign you passed", what was the make of the car at the last intersection", "was it approaching from the left of the right". All this small details of 'situational awareness/scan and plan' were invaluable to her then, and still are today. A short while ago we were in the car, waiting to turn right across our lane (we drive on the left here), at the same time as I caught a glimpse of motorbike wheels behind the car (the bike was hidden by the bulk of the car) Zea said 'watch out, bike!'. It's a pleasure having a passenger and a pillion who is aware, and adds an extra pair of eyes to the 'scan and plan' process.

Thank you, Sir! May I have another?
MM2: If you want to give me another public spanking, go ahead; knock yourself out. But I won't stand by and be a cheerleader for someone engaging in what is in my opinion an unsafe riding practice. In my book, it's all about risk mitigation and, unlike someone with your obvious knowledge and level of riding expertise, I can't make the risk/reward ratio work in my mind. To me, it wouldn't be worth the extra risk to make it to my destination 5 or 10 minutes sooner. I'd rather leave 5 or 10 minutes earlier. Perhaps it's just my conservative nature at work, but I'd like to believe that I'm not alone here.

If anyone deserves the "Mad Skills" award on this thread it is indeed SouthernFJR and wfooshee (in particular). There are the real lessons. But (no offense, FJamR), I will not pat FJamR on the back for emerging unscathed from a situation that in my opinion he didn't need to be in to begin with. (Though I'm indeed thankful and relieved that he did emerge unscathed!) It's certainly not my intent to dictate what FJamR can or cannot do on his bike in his state of residence. If he can personally make the risk/reward ratio balance out for him, then good for him. Contrary to what you might believe, I'm not "bang[ing] [my] drum" against lane sharing. I'm simply expressing an experience-shaped opinion. (Though apparently, in your opinion, to express my opinion I should have started a separate thread or continued in an existing one. Thank you for that advise.)

There is no question that drivers of all vehicles need to be completely aware of their surroundings at all times, and to use every available best and safe practice in the operation of a motor vehicle regardless of whether it's 2, 4 or 18 wheels. Of this, you and I are in violent agreement. It's unfortunate that most drivers of 4 wheel vehciles in particular are blissfully ignorant of what goes on outside their steel shell. It's those types of drivers that depend on the the drivers around them not fucking up in order to avoid an accident themselves. The holiday season only serves to compound that behavior as there are without a doubt more distractions than normal. Again, I couldn't agree more.

So with that, I'll jump onto the page of reminding the general populace of this forum to be exceptionally diligent with safe riding practices this holiday season. Nobody wants to read about any of us in the paper (or see anyone else added to the growing RIP thread). :eek:

This is somewhat bike-related. My son was bitten by a dog yesterday. He was riding his bike (foot power type) from a friend's house. Their 10 month old dog followed them to my house. A lady in a high-dollar SUV hit the dog, nearly killing it. (I think the dog had to be put down last night) The woman stopped when he saw my son running toward the dog, and seconds later yelling at the top of his lungs. My son was trying to help out an injured dog and ended up getting a visit to the ER. The dog bit him out of fear. The woman had no clue that she had hit the dog. My son was only about 20 feet in front of the dog when she hit it. That could have easily been my son hit instead of the dog due to a clueless driver. I am not 100% positive, but I think she was on the cell phone. This was in a 25 mph residential area. Gotta keep your head on a swivel.

Wow... And the giant purple elephant in the room would like to ask, "if you hadn't have been lane splitting, would you be writing this story?" I'm very glad to hear that you made it out the other side with nary a scrape or ding, but damn, just because it's legal doesn't mean it should be done or imply that it's safe.

Splitting lanes. Anyone besides me see this as an accident waiting to happen? I stay continuously amazed splitting traffic is legal in some states.
Glad you made it, and here's to hoping your luck continues! :drinks:
After the scare I continued splitting lanes, thank you Cali. for blessing me with the choice!

After the scare I continued splitting lanes, thank you Cali. for blessing me with the choice!
Why go there? Didn't you read my answers? This will just end up another fruitless, circular, argumentative debate. He is a believer in his opinion, you are a believer in yours. Like every other thread where this has been discussed ad nauseum, ad infinitum, it will become a "religious" discussion (i.e., grace vs. legalism; pre-trib vs. post-trib; Arminism vs. Calvinism, etc.) and merely drive a wedge between normally rational and likeable people who at other times and places would be friends.

Everybody take a breath and let this part of the equation die. OR, should you wish to debate, discuss, argue and rave, follow the links I posted here:

That will at least allow this current thread to remain a warning to those who ride to be more vigilant during the holiday riding season, rather than deteriorate into a downward spiral into the abyss of NEPRT-dom.

Viva California ignoring splitters. I split because I can. Splitting in Ca is not really legal it's just not illegal. The rule is, if the officer thinks your unsafe he can / will pull you over.

It's scary at first, then it becomes old hat. This is where common sense must kick in. When I was over the initial fear... I would find myself going to fast... Now I hold myself back to 5 or 10 faster than traffic is moving. I don't like to split over 25MPH. I refuse to split big rigs. I did when I was younger, I don't think the odds favor anyone that splits the big trucks. I let the real macho types split the freeway carpool lane, at 40 to 75 MPH on the way to work. Some of the fastest splitters are the law dogs going to and from work.

I've had...

Someone change lanes and bump me, scratched my saddle bag, scared both of us good ---

A car door swing open as traffic stopped on the freeway.

I've seen the high adrenalin stuff you all have seen, right in front of you, a shovel, car bumper...

I'll keep splitting, and I moving out of the way of any one that wants to do it faster than me.

Viva California ignoring splitters. I split because I can. Splitting in Ca is not really legal it's just not illegal. The rule is, if the officer thinks your unsafe he can / will pull you over.
It's scary at first, then it becomes old hat. This is where common sense must kick in. When I was over the initial fear... I would find myself going to fast... Now I hold myself back to 5 or 10 faster than traffic is moving. I don't like to split over 25MPH. I refuse to split big rigs. I did when I was younger, I don't think the odds favor anyone that splits the big trucks. I let the real macho types split the freeway carpool lane, at 40 to 75 MPH on the way to work. Some of the fastest splitters are the law dogs going to and from work.

I've had...

Someone change lanes and bump me, scratched my saddle bag, scared both of us good ---

A car door swing open as traffic stopped on the freeway.

I've seen the high adrenalin stuff you all have seen, right in front of you, a shovel, car bumper...

I'll keep splitting, and I moving out of the way of any one that wants to do it faster than me.
I'd do it too if I lived there. I've done it here on a much smaller level. I'll split one vehicle ahead in a back-up. In a slow down I usually just stay put. I've done it, maybe twice at a red light when the guy in the front has left a huge space, but never from more than 2 vehicles behind with ample space and no LEO in sight.