Second Trip Post Retirement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got an early start today, about 7:30 or so at sunrise. The forecast for today was a recipe for fog along the coast with highs of mid ‘80’s today inland. The route is up highway one to Hwy 101 to Hwy 299 to Hwy 96 to I-5 and Roseburg Oregon. About 8 hours riding time.

5P2ppRs.jpg

It was partly foggy on the coast.

caHzAz1.jpg

rQ8Puh4.jpg

The best twisty bits to day was Hwy 1 from the coast to Leggett and it is a hoot when dry. Today it was not dry and there were pine needles on the road so easy does it and enjoy scenery. A couple of weeks earlier I was on this road with the trailer in tow and made better time because the road was dry. Autumn leaves and fall colors become the theme of this ride today. Great fall colors all day long.

This photo is at the Berry Summit on Hwy 299 between Arcadia and Willow Springs. It was windy with the fog blowing over the summit. With two lanes and little traffic I enjoyed a rubbernecking opportunity to watch the fog.

X04zi5N.jpg

Back to the fall colors. The image is blurred because I had to crop this photo quite a bit to share what my eye saw. Most of these photos are taken on the go, so the quality suffers.

QNaqS6R.jpg

The pavement on the first 1/3 of Hwy 96 was rough. Hey CalTrans how about fixing it. I felt bad for any Harley rider with 2” of suspension travel. Today I was wanting a bit more myself. Finally the pavement improved - nice.

57St5he.jpg

I like the photo but not the sun beam.

IlNiBzl.jpg

Just say ah....

wiorAl7.jpg

S5XEJ6X.jpg

Klamath River along Hwy 96

q0cv6XD.jpg

kOLrp96.jpg

HkElHRH.jpg

My BMW along the Klamath River May 22, 2003.

7iLSzc8.jpg

Missoula Montana and Fort Bragg, California share something in common. When you get there it is not that far from Seattle and the barn is calling. My plan was to stay in Roseburg Oregon about 6 hours out of Seattle. As I was riding on Hwy 96 approaching I-5 I set the GPS to go home and it said I could be home around 11:00pm. I did that two weeks ago so why not do it again?

Fall colors along I-5.

GJqOHPT.jpg

I stopped in Eugene for a quick bit to eat, pulled on the heated jacket, gassed up and drove home.

It was a great trip. I had hoped to stay put a couple of days in one place but weather didn’t line up in my favor. Travelling when time is not a factor is new to me and I have a bit to learn. On the other hand my son moving to Paris France within 45 days so I wanted to get home to say bon voyage so a real long trip was not in the cards. While on the road all the choices are good as long as the rubber side is down. Thank for all the likes and following along.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a fantastic trip, Jim... I'm familiar with many of the roads and places you visited but there were a few I'm not familiar with... yet. ;)

That place on 395 from my photo is kind of a crap shoot each year... when it is the best color, there is a very short window of time to get it... plus the conditions have to be "just" so to get it to happen... I lucked out the year I was there... guess you'll have to give it a go next year! :D

Looks like a fantastic trip, Jim... I'm familiar with many of the roads and places you visited but there were a few I'm not familiar with... yet.
wink.png

That place on 395 from my photo is kind of a crap shoot each year... when it is the best color, there is a very short window of time to get it... plus the conditions have to be "just" so to get it to happen... I lucked out the year I was there... guess you'll have to give it a go next year!
biggrin.png
Hey Tyler thanks for the comments. Thanks for telling me where you took that great photo too. The place on 395 this year was very smokey and I was there at say 11:00am or so. I believe your photo was taken at the right time of day about 6:30pm. But even if all the things line up for me to take a better photo it would have still have one huge shortcoming, it would be missing the Risk Factor!

Last edited by a moderator: