Securing a pistol

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AJ, I wasn't directing that at you, and I understand. But I have heard the argument from the anti gun side argue against open carry of "Why do I have to have this guy with his gun hanging out sitting at a table near my family wondering if he's going to start shooting?" I fail to see the logic, because someone concealing their weapon could do the same, the visual presentation of the gun doesn't change that. In fact, I'd wager that someone with the intention of shooting up the place isn't going to come in showing his weapon and sit down for some coffee before going nutso.
I didn't think you were. I was just answering in general terms. You wouldn't believe the number of people who open carry and want to talk to the cops about how cool they are. Most get their feelings hurt when I make it clear that I love the fact they are carrying, but wish they'd be less obvious. A couple actually listened.

I have opinions about lots of things. Haha...

Interesting how people view things based on their own background. City people seem more likely to view the picture Pterodactyl posted as someone of unknown stability looking to show how tough they are. I'm guessing that's because they just don't see people routinely acting like that where they live so of course it is more likely to upset them.

Country people seem more likely to accept the presence of firearms and not worry about it. Maybe that guy has been coming in that same store carrying the same weapon every Tuesday for a decade and the clerk, who went to school with him, knows he wears it because he inherited it from his grandad.

Doesn't make either group irrational. They are products of different environments. It's a lot simpler to pretend the world is black and white since it relieves us of doing much thinking. Too bad most things are really gray.

If you're not legal, don't carry. If you carry, carry on your person if you can, in a proper holster, on a proper gunbelt. For storage, Gunvault makes a nice, flat, $20 lockbox, that I find useful for a gun that's not with me. It comes with a cable to secure the box to whatever. I would not keep a gun in my glovebox, but that's just me. My frame of reference is admittedly different than some. Many many folks think the baby jesus will magically protect their gun from theft if they hide it under the seat, in the glovebox, or in the console. Those are the first places smash and grab thieves sweep. Good for you for looking into a proper lockbox.

Last edited by a moderator:
My step dad was an "under the seat" kind of guy (and former sheriff's deputy so could carry even before citizen LTCs were available). The trouble was that he was also a put it there and get it when needed kind of guy. I retrieved it on his passing and it was a useless lump of rusted metal.

If you are legally carrying you want 2 things to happen:

1. Be available when needed on short notice.

2. Be where you put it instead of bouncing around somewhere loose if a wreck.

If you can't (or don't/won't) do the 2 above, then switch to "transporting" it IAW The Firearm Owners Protection Act and reduce your risk of running cross-wise with cross cops.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/99th-congress/senate-bill/49

Permits the interstate transportation of unloaded firearms by any person not prohibited by Federal law from such transportation regardless of any State law or regulation.
With the final wording

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_Owners_Protection_Act

One of the law's provisions was that persons traveling from one place to another cannot be incarcerated for a firearms offense in a state that has strict gun control laws if the traveler is just passing through (short stops for food and gas), provided that the firearms and ammunition are not immediately accessible, that the firearms are unloaded and, in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment, the firearms are located in a locked container.

wow this subject seems completely supernatural for a french!
Wearing firearm is so restricted in France! personally, and the only time I handled it was to the army! during the formation!

During our trip in the American West (California, Nevada, Arizona) we've meet several people with visible weapon. Not bad cowboy in Arizona for example. Nice guy with whom we talked a good time, and in this context, their gun will absolutely not put me uncomfortable. However, it has also crossed in town, or in dinners, and there the feeling was really not the same ... Overall, we don't dwell ...
After I supose that this is a usual problem or culture

Nice observation. We took some of our cues from le Revolución francesa but felt it didn't go far enough.

Open carry is the only legal way in some areas. Not terribly uncommon in rural areas. Simply a means of seeking attention in others (folks who make a wrong turn at the intersection of Can and Should). gapjob- I picture you with a holster imprinted with the "logo" of Les Miserables.

I'm not sure I understand?
With "les miserables" you are referring to the piece of Victor Hugo? I prefer "La Fayette", or Hermione to refer to our common history
4916.gif

But finally, the only logo I have is "FJR Passion"
essai_10.gif