Sena SMH10 Firmware 5.0 - Universal Intercom

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gixxerjasen

Reaction score
Haven't tried it myself yet, but some folks on another forum are testing connectivity with Scala units. New Universal Intercom is supposed to take care of this. Anyone else tried it yet?

Change History

Change made from version 4.3 to 5.0

Universal IntercomTM

Advanced Noise Control

Sidetone

Ultra HD Voice Recording for PRISM and Bluetooth Audio Pack

Minor bug fixes in intercom volume

Last edited by a moderator:
The new 20S looks sweet. I will run my SMH10's to the ground first. I am updated to V5.0 but haven't got to test the new features yet. We have some buddies we ride with that use Scalas. Maybe we can get them out for a ride this weekend. We have some sunshine!
punk.gif

I haven't even turned mine on yet and there is already a software upgrade. I guess I'll do the upgrade before I pair anything.

Well I upgraded to V5.0 from 4.3 today but no joy. It would not pair with my Zumo 550. It did pair with my wife's SMH10 thru intercom, did pair with my iPod no trouble, but not the Zumo. It would say phone connected for a millisecond then say phone disconnected. I even tried multipoint pairing to just get the HFP to pair up with the Zumo as a headset, but no joy. So I went back to V4.3 and everything paired up perfectly.

I hope it's a fixable bug and the next version works.

Anyone know how or if this Sena can work with a valentine 1?
There are a couple ways you can go about the Sena (or any BT headset) and V1 integration.

One way is to wire the audio from the V1 into a Sena SM10 or SR10. The SR10 is a two-way audio adapter with mono audio to the headset. It allows you to feed in audio form 2 sources, plus a 2-way radio. The SM10 is a bluetooth stereo unit that is 1-way only audio (that is, you can't use it to talk through a radio or something). You get better audio quality with the SM10, but if you're only using it for radar and/or GPS that doesn't matter much.

The other option is to use V1's new iphone/android dongle and connect the V1 to your phone, and your phone to the headset. I haven't read enough about this use-case, but I'd assume the V1 bluetooth dongle routes the audio to your phone as well. If that's the case, it would then be routed to the headset via bluetooth.

Hope this helps!

-Neal

Don't have a Sena yet, just have a cardo G9. A problem with the G9 and probably the Sena 10 series is priotity switching. If you are listening to BT audio, such as from the radar detector beeper, it may override other stuff.

Currently have the V1 audio box, which has an earphone and speaker jack. Tried that with a BT audio dongle and the G9. Worked fine, EXCEPT that the radar audio had the highest priority and I couldn't do intercom, gps prompts or gps mp3. Even though the v1 beeps intermittantly, the audio bt dongle signal is continuous. Crap!

Zumo660 is a good hub for me- GPS prompts interrupt the MP3 player, smartphone interface displays caller id, shows phone directory for dialing etc. There's just no way to get the radar beep in there with a BT connection.

Am planning to get the Sena 20s, which allows audio BT sources to mix with everything else. Pair the 20s with the zumo660 and the audio bt dongle for the v1, pair the smartphone with the zumo660. Done.

V1 Android dongle looks good but there is no guarantee that occasional beeps will pass right through your smartphone to your Sena 10 series. Worth looking at though!

Well I upgraded to V5.0 from 4.3 today but no joy. It would not pair with my Zumo 550. It did pair with my wife's SMH10 thru intercom, did pair with my iPod no trouble, but not the Zumo. It would say phone connected for a millisecond then say phone disconnected. I even tried multipoint pairing to just get the HFP to pair up with the Zumo as a headset, but no joy. So I went back to V4.3 and everything paired up perfectly.
Vinny, on FB Sena mentioned the 550 issue: "There are known issues of pairing/connection with the Garmin Zumo 550. The Zumo 550 users, please wait a few days more until the firmware patch is ready.".

I'm sure the non-Sena pairing will come into play in the future, but right now I'd be more interested in the Advanced Noise Control, and how effective it is.

Thanks LKLD!

I tried again this morning and this time I did a "clear all pairings" AND a "factory reset". Then it paired up with the Zumo 550 quick as you please. No chance to ride to test the Advanced Noise Control, but the Universal Intercom Pairing function is there. I have a buddy with a Scala Q3 so we'll test it with him asap.

Vinny, on FB Sena mentioned the 550 issue: "There are known issues of pairing/connection with the Garmin Zumo 550. The Zumo 550 users, please wait a few days more until the firmware patch is ready.".

I'm sure the non-Sena pairing will come into play in the future, but right now I'd be more interested in the Advanced Noise Control, and how effective it is.
I went for a 100 mile ride yesterday with a couple buddies. They said mic noise was much improved. I had my faceshield open at 60MPH with little to no noise reported by them. They usually start bitching about the wind from my mic around 30MPH.

The music sync works great also. Have not tried syncing with a non sena unit, but I assume it will work, but with less distance.

Anyone know how or if this Sena can work with a valentine 1?
I have the V1 and zumo routed into the Sena SR10 and have this paired with the headset (as well as the iphone to the headset). This works perfectly. What will NOT work for me is the SM10! The SM10 is stereo. the iphone is stereo. Only one A2DP connection to the headset at a time. Sorry charlie. The SR10 transmits as a 'phone' and works beautifully in the setup. Overrides the music from the iphone as it should.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to update the firmware on my SMH10. My PC "Fails to recognize" my device! Went through troubleshooting process with Sena Tech Support and was told to try a different USB cable or PC. It shouldn't be this difficult! There are some nice upgrades here that I would really like to have!! Any thoughts would be appreciated!

From Senna:

Here are some troubleshooting steps. It is your computer that is the problem not all 3 devices. So here are some steps if this does not work you will have to try it on another computer.

Please make sure you have SMH10 that supports firmware update.
To receive firmware update, your SMH10 must have micro-USB port as power port and back of the SMH10 must display "SMH10B".
If you have SMH10 with round co-axial power port and "SMH10" labeled on the back, then your SMH10 cannot receive firmware update.

We only support Windows XP and 7. If you do have firmware update supported SMH10, below is common troubleshooting method for firmware update trouble.
1. Uninstall previous version of SMH10 Manager if there is newer version available on the web.

2. Make sure to download correct version for your operating system.

3. Disable/disconnect any internal/external bluetooth hardware connected to PC. For embedded Bluetooth module, you will need to disable from device manager.

4. Make sure to use micro-USB cable that came with SMH10.

5. After SMH10 Manager and driver installation, check Windows device manager with SMH10 powered and connected to PC. SMH10 should be listed under Universal Serial Bus Controllers as "CSR BlueCore Bluetooth". If you do not see this and instead see unrecognizable Bluetooth device listed, you will need to change the driver manually through device properties. Driver location is under program/Sena Technologies/SMH10 Manager.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an FYI, I have windows 8.1 and I upgraded just fine. Cables can be the issue as can the USB port used. Try a different cable (a high quality cable that came with your smartphone will work) and try a different port on the computer.