service work with 905 bars on

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryguy322

Reaction score
I just got back from a trip going to glacier park, then to yellowstone, and back home. Put 3600 miles on in 7 days. Now my tires are shot, need to spark plugs, and a host of other maintanance work. I was thinking on rather than doing it myself this time I might just drop it off at the dealer and tell them to go to it. Should I uninstall the 905 crash bars before I take it in so the can completely remove the side fairing? If I leave them on, I can trouble. Might be the only downside to having the bars installed is that it will take a little longer to take the bike apart.

Having the highway pegs on them definately helped out on my trip. Just have to remember to fold the pegs up when going through corners, accidentally ground them down a little.

I just got back from a trip going to glacier park, then to yellowstone, and back home. Put 3600 miles on in 7 days. Now my tires are shot, need to spark plugs, and a host of other maintanance work. I was thinking on rather than doing it myself this time I might just drop it off at the dealer and tell them to go to it. Should I uninstall the 905 crash bars before I take it in so the can completely remove the side fairing? If I leave them on, I can trouble. Might be the only downside to having the bars installed is that it will take a little longer to take the bike apart. Having the highway pegs on them definately helped out on my trip. Just have to remember to fold the pegs up when going through corners, accidentally ground them down a little.
I can't think of any maintenance work that would require the removal of the crash bars.

Why would they need to remove the side fairing?

I just got back from a trip going to glacier park, then to yellowstone, and back home. Put 3600 miles on in 7 days. Now my tires are shot, need to spark plugs, and a host of other maintanance work. I was thinking on rather than doing it myself this time I might just drop it off at the dealer and tell them to go to it. Should I uninstall the 905 crash bars before I take it in so the can completely remove the side fairing? If I leave them on, I can trouble. Might be the only downside to having the bars installed is that it will take a little longer to take the bike apart. Having the highway pegs on them definately helped out on my trip. Just have to remember to fold the pegs up when going through corners, accidentally ground them down a little.
I can't think of any maintenance work that would require the removal of the crash bars.

coolant change ????

air filter service ?????

coolant change ????

air filter service ?????
Nope.

They only need to come off IF'n you need to remove the side panel lowers.

- Not required for air filter

- You can certainly do a coolant change w/o doing that.

But they do come off pretty easily once you've done it a time or two.

My dad recently took his 'new to him' 2007 RT with 6000 miles in for the 6000 mile service. (which he has crash bars installed) He mentioned the moisture in one of the turn signals. Is that a warranty issue?

They said 'No' but they take care of it. Taking care of it meant charging him $250 to pull the crash bars and side panel, even though you didn't need to remove the crashbars to take said panel off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just in case, I think I'll take them off myself for what it takes. I only plan on bringing the bike into the dealer once every other year so it shouldn't be too bad of a deal. Actually it probably be a good idea to take them off and repaint them. The left side is full of stone chips from my ride out west.

Bringing your bike to a dealer when it is running well?

Man, you like to live life on the wild side...

I'd do the maintenance myself even if it was an inconvenience just so I know it was done (right) and it was put back together right.

Your dealer experience may vary.

Last edited by a moderator: