Serviced Gen 3 ABS System - Contaminated Fluid Purged

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PapaUtah

Reaction score
I got around to starting the service on my 2013 which I have neglected for over a year today. I know, my bad. Oil change went without a hitch. Filter cleaned and reinstalled, new oil, all good. Then I started on the brakes. I have the ABS coupler for performing the basic test to confirm the operation of the ABS unit. I ran the test twice and the ABS unit responded and appeared to be in good nick. Time to change fluid. The fronts went as expected. CocaCola colored fluid being expelled. About 1/3rd of a quart of DOT4 later and nice clear fluid coming from the speedbleeders. When I got around to the rear, well, I was a bit shocked. In addition to the nice cola color the fluid was contaminated with tiny green specs and one larger piece.

True to my OCD checked past, I retested the ABS unit and proceeded to completely flush then entire system again. Almost 2 full quarts of DOT4 later I have absolutely clear fluid being expelled from all of the bleeders. No contaminants at all from either end. Went for a test drive, stabbed the brakes several times and the ABS engaged as it always has. Rebled the rear and still just clear fluid.

Has anyone else ever had any chunkiness come out in their fluid at service time? Is there a green part in the ABS unit that's coming apart that I should be concerned about? The ABS pump is $800 to replace. I am hoping to avoid it if I can. Everything seems fine...but it is my braking system.

Anyone with any experience, please chime in. Any expertise is appreciated.

Never had chunks and never had fluid that dark - usually do brake and clutch circuits every two years. Haven't used more than 500 mL (half quart) of fluid in total and never any problems with ABS or anything else in brake or clutch systems. Had 185,000 miles on the '07 when I sold it. Just under 100,000 miles so far on the 2011. Don't the Speed Bleeders have some sort of thread sealant on them that might have come off? Not sure because I haven't used them or felt the need. Other than that possibility, I have no ideas unless an internal seal is on the way out.

The dark fluid is pretty common when you haven't changed the fluid regularly or failed to activate the ABS during the regular maintenance fluid change. It evidently does not get bled out of the ABS parts of the system very well even though you get clear fluid coming out of the brake calipers. You must activate the ABS system to force the clean fluid through the ABS portion of the system and then you will get ALL the fluid changed properly. Never saw chunks being bled out, but have found debris in the reservours, either because of water contamination or some of the rubber seals starting to disintegrate.

Papa; The FJR is pretty robust in terms of functionality and longevity. If all is working properly I'd turn off the OCD and ride, you've got a well trusted mount.