Shift Lever Adjustment To Fit Boot

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

f1fan

Reaction score
This may or may not have been asked on this board before.

The problem I got is that I bought some new m/c boots and now I have a problem fitting the boot underneath the shift lever without bending foot really hard downwards. I looked at the shift lever and saw the two marks and thought that the sift lever can be adjusted upwards so that I could fit my boot easier underneath it. Anybody else have/had the same problem and would like to make any suggestions? Also, if I want to adjust the shift lever up or downwards I just have to turn the linkage between the shift lever and the shift arm on the upper side, correct?

Same problem. Walk the boots, get them so they'll conform as needed. Start moving the lever and other problems will arise-trouble with the downshift was mine, having to lift off the peg to shift sucked. Went for walks with the boots so that they would bend and all better now, and the lever is where it should be. Turning the rod is the adjustment. Bottom locknut is reverse threaded (left-handed).

f1fan, just break the two nuts loose..one is left hand thread..and turn the adj. rod. Thats why yami put it there..so riders with big feet (like me size 14) and guy with smaller feet can find the right shifter placement for them. It takes 3 min. After your boots break in a bit, and it doesn't seem right...well move it again. There is two lines on the side cover, just stay within the marks and your good. Don't be scared, get the tools out brother!!! ;)

You guessed right. I also needed to change height of shift lever. Small change in length of the tie rod made a significant improvement to shifting. It was a little tricky with the new Oxtar matrix boots but as boots wore in they got better as Radman suggests.

Make sure you tighten the lock nut when you're done adjusting.

FJReady,

those are the same boots that I got. They are excellent boots by the way.

For right now, I will try to walk and break them in first to see if it gets better with the shifting. If not, I will adjust the lever as others have done before. Thanks for the tips guys and the confirmation on the adjusting rod.

Same thing with me got new boots when I got the bike and was hanging up under the lever. Raised it just a bit and between this and the boots breaking in, no problems now.