Shift linkage lubrication

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

08FJR4ME

-WYNPRO-
Reaction score
Shame me if this has been brought up already. Since I don't remember ever seeing it, here goes.
blushing.gif

So today I removed the Gen3 side plate that the shift linkage is hidden behind. Now that I think of it maybe I should have put a hole through the side plate so I don't have to pull it apart again to get to the yoke that is hidden behind it. Just a thought. Anyway I was just thinking when I was doing the lube job. What do folks use to lube up the joints? I grabbed some Teflon spray lube that I use on the dirt bike chain for lubrication. No I didn't check the manual either since I just thought of that now while typing. What a dumbass I am for not checking. I paid almost a hundred dollars for the dam book. Well its late and the brain cells aren't firing very well I guess.

What say you?

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
You really have to take the linkage apart to do any good - the main pivot gets sticky. Your Teflon spray lube will fix it (very) temporarily but the problems will return. As Kaelaria says, the manual calls for a lithium soap based grease. I used a waterproof bearing grease without any issues. Either will work just fine. A light lube may seep in enough to loosen things up without taking it apart but the heavier duty lube is really necessary for a long-lasting fix. (same with the brake pivot on the other side - do that while you are at it)

I last did mine two years and 45,000 miles ago. Both shifter and brake pivot will need it before riding again.

I use the same moly grease I use for the wheels. I have Lithium grease, but have been told by too many people that should know that Lithium is trash and will wash off much easier than real grease. I haven't done it for a long time. Not even sure if I logged the last time I did it. I'll have to look.

I only have 45K or so on mine. I use any good lithium grease on the brake pivot, and use crappy LS spray on the shifter pivot. I'm OCD, and ride in the rain a lot, so both these areas have received regular applications of spray lube in between more proper lubing. I think my current home state secretly sprays sand and grit on the roadway every night. I've never lived in a place that puts more grit in the works and is harder on windshields and paint (but I've never ridden out west, either). My brake pivot gets crunchy rather quickly, as do the peg pivots. The shifter pivot isn't subjected to as much spray as the brake, but it, in my case, gums up worse. It may be wrong, but a drop of motor oil administered by a flex neck oiler can right on the pivot (the hidden part) makes it shift like butter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just been using regular wheel bearing grease. Doesn't take much and seems to last pretty well. I figure any lube is better than no lube at all.

Now that I think of it. I did the Gen2 last year and use marine waterproof wheel bearing grease. Guess I didn't feel like getting the whale jizz all over my fingers. Opted for a quick fix instead. If it starts acting up again the locktite on the srews is now broken so it should be easire next time to do it right. My morning coffee is kicking in.

Thanks gents,

Dave

Like a couple other things on this bike, it shouldn't be such a pain in the ass to keep maintained. 5 minutes max should be all it takes, instead of having to remove that entire peg assembly.

Like a couple other things on this bike, it shouldn't be such a pain in the ass to keep maintained. 5 minutes max should be all it takes, instead of having to remove that entire peg assembly.
I agree but every time I find something to be a PITA on my FJR, I remember my buddy changing the oil on his HD heritage in 3 different places. One being a drain bolt up between two frame members about as wide as a socket extender and higher up inside the frame than the distance the bike is to the ground ... Or my bud working on his aprilla doing ANYTHING to it.

Compared to these guys, my FJR is a treat to work on ...

That being said, yes the shift linkage is a PITA ...

And to get back on topic, I used waterproof grease as well with good results and it lasts a couple of seasons .. Any "spray" will help but not for long ...