Shoei GT-Air vs RF1200

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McRide

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
First, I want to acknowledge Shoei Customer Service as top notch.... Story:

I purchased the GT-Air to replace my RF1000, which was (is) a great helmet. It was older and has about 60K miles on it. I just upgraded(?) from the Autocom to Sena20s so thought it would be a good time to refresh from the shoulders up.

GT-Air:

Shoei build quality, excellent as expected. Very plush interior. Love the drop sun visor. Integrated pinlock was nice. Ventilation is good but not as good as reviews would lead me to believe but better than the RF1000. A bit of a struggle to get on and off, the neck opening is quite narrow. Visibility is very restricted. I was always having to exaggerate my head swings to see what was around me since the overall visor opening is smaller than expected. Pretty much the same with up and down. Felt like I was looking through a porthole compared to the RF1000. Noise Level: This is where the reviews had me... so quite, etc. Not my experience at all. The GT-Air is one very noisy helmet. Yes, I went through all the possible venting possibilities to see if I could stand wearing this thing for more than hour..no joy. I even taped the visor shut and, bit by bit, peeled sections off to see were the breach was... found it... the right side visor hinge assembly.

I sent the helmet to Shoei Inspections and they could not replicate the problem and sent it back. So...no doubt this was a manufacturing defect or it was something about my head in that particular helmet. A few more emails and they took it back again and, at my request, sent an RF1200 replacement.

RF1200:

I think this is their flagship helmet and it shows. I was sucked into the bells and whistles on the GT-AIr but being 60ish, I should have listened to the little guy on my shoulder, he's always been straight with me. The RF1200 is awesome. The visibility is unreal. I can't see any part of the helmet. It's like nothing between me and the road. Ventilation is as good, or a bit better than the GT-Air, thanks to the new brow vent... a cool flow of air from forehead to mouth. With all vents open, it's absolutely Arctic. Your head (all of it) is awash with air. Noise: What noise? OK, a bit with the vents open, but when its all closed, this helmet is whisper quiet... at 80! Wow.

Oh... and the Sena rocks! If you're in the market, take a hard look at the RF1200... I think you'll like it.

Do you have the Transition shield?

I have one on my RF1200 and for me it works very well.

Interesting...... Your path is exactly the same as mine......

RF1000, awesome helmet, one of the best I have ever used. Light, Quiet, Great Visibility !!!

I'd still be rockin it if I could get a replacement liner, but after searching high and low to no avail... Time to upgrade.

GT-Air, I bought a pair of them for my woman and I. Tight fit but once broken in its great. I don't have the leaky air noise problems you have and I'm still running them on the FJR, with the windshield up I have zero issues. Quiet and works well with the Sena 20s. Build in sun visor works great, so on long trips I don't have to carry extra shield/s, a bit more limited in visibility with the added internal sun shade, but not horrible at all for me, I don't have a huge head. I still like this helmet.

RF1200 - LImited time with it so far, got it this fall on a super deal from my dealer. He also threw in a tinted shield for me.

Bought it for my FZ-09, since its lighter and I never ride that bike at night so never need to switch shields. I'll be tracking the FZ-09 so all the features you laid out are exactly why I went for this helmet. Quiet, excellent visibility, ventilation, light... Picked up an extra mount for the Sena from a forum member here so I'm set !!!

If you really love a helmet I suggest getting a replacement liner to keep for the long haul, once they are discontinued the helmet is done.

Glad to hear Shoei takes care of their customers.

I too love the RF1200. Last year when helmet shopping I tried hard to like the GT Air but it just wasn't comfortable on my noggin. I was looking forward to that internal sunshield.

I also tried the Neotec because it felt pretty solid for a modular and the face shield and sunshield felt well made but it was about 4mm too short front to back for me.

I gave the Arai Signet Q a long look before deciding on the 1200 but its faceshield design felt a little chinsey compared to the Shoei. I was surprised at that given the Arai reputation and their prices.

The Rf1200 feels very solid and it is very quiet. I don't have any problem with ventilation, its as good or better than the Scorpions, HJCs I've had in the past.

Highly recommended. And it comes in my favorite color; wicked pissa yellow.

Also, the installation of my Sena went without any problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
RF-1200 did not fit my melon well but the GT-Air fits like it was made for my XL head. I've been very happy with it and recommend anyone who says they don't like the air flow, noisiness or fit of their cheaper helmet to just try on a Shoei.

RF-1200 did not fit my melon well but the GT-Air fits like it was made for my XL head. I've been very happy with it and recommend anyone who says they don't like the air flow, noisiness or fit of their cheaper helmet to just try on a Shoei.
Are you talking directly to me??

I looked at them at Cycle Gear today. 500 plus is steep but no one says they wish hey would have skimped on them. I am regretting not getting a better one earlier!!

I had RF-1200's for a long time and still have one but I've bought Gt Airs for me and my wife for their versatility especially on tours. My most recent 1200 (2 years ago) was impossible to find the photosynthetic shield and or a tinted pinlock for it. So I got a couple of GT-Airs and we like them as much or more as our 1200's.

Do you have the Transition shield?

I have one on my RF1200 and for me it works very well.
I'm looking at it.. reviews say it does not get dark enough but I like the convenience... comment?
For me it gets dark enough.

Only had one instance in late Fall (at CFO) when riding towards the west as the sun as setting that the brightness of the sun was so intense that the shield wasn't dark enough.

Other than that one time, the Transition shield has worked as it should.

It is convenient not to need to to carry an extra shield.

I liked the fit of the GT air, but chose the neotec hoping I could leave my glasses on when taking it on and off. So far I can't but only wore it a couple times before winter. Can't comment on the wind noise as I've previously only bought $100 HJC helmets. The neotec is much quieter and the vents actually do something when opened.

I have an RF-1100. Am going to wait for the RF-1300 so as to match my FJR1300.
smile.png

McRide, Which version RF-1200 did get? I have been putting off my purchase of the RF-1200 because the ones I have seen in MC shops have been old. Manufactured in 2014 with a Snell M2010 rating. Did yours come as a M2015?