side vent adjustments

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi to all of you!

Mine is a 2003/ABS..Really Warm(Hot Air coming from bike)..!!Fantastic in winter..!! :) but freaking in the summer..!!!!!!

My legs and lower body are burnt in deep summer..!!! :(
when it's over 100 it's hot on any bike. manage the heat and put on some pants.
I know this!I try with mesh pant..close pant..but the hot is there..The best thing you can do when you feel the hot is to opening your legs a little for some fresh air.. ;) :)
Or a air conditioning pant..!!perhaps a day in the short future we wiil see this pant or jacket..!!

I know this!I try with mesh pant..close pant..but the hot is there..The best thing you can do when you feel the hot is to opening your legs a little for some fresh air.. ;) :)
i guess i'm unsure what "hot here" means exactly. over a 100 for a month or more every summer would seem to fall in that area. when wearing my first gear hypertex pants, the zips are on the outside of the leg for air flow. anything's hot unless it is enclosed and has a/c. i don't find my '03 any hotter than my 84 GL1200 or my 98 GL1500 at times like that. the flowing air is a blast furnace. i've stopped my GL1200 because i thought there was a fire in the front fairing somewhere. turns out it was simply the heat of the outside air flowing over my gloved hands. mesh is out of its league at times like that. over the years i've tried to explain that to some folks and not done as good a job at this recent article does.

https://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/IronButt_1002_62-66_Hot.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
i guess i'm unsure what "hot here" means exactly. over a 100 for a month or more every summer would seem to fall in that area. when wearing my first gear hypertex pants, the zips are on the outside of the leg for air flow. anything's hot unless it is enclosed and has a/c. i don't find my '03 any hotter than my 84 GL1200 or my 98 GL1500 at times like that. the flowing air is a blast furnace. i've stopped my GL1200 because i thought there was a fire in the front fairing somewhere. turns out it was simply the heat of the outside air flowing over my gloved hands. mesh is out of its league at times like that. over the years i've tried to explain that to some folks and not done as good a job at this recent article does.

Thanks for your very nice and really usefull pdf post!!I have never ride a GL1200 OR GL1500 but i believe you!Those bikes have a lot of large fairing and windshield..!I mean the summer in Greece is very hot..over 100F some days and in many places around the country..On fjr with 100F you feel the HOT too much..!!On to my other bike a Yamaha XTZ 750 SUPER TENERE 90 model you dont feel the hot with the same 100F..or you feel it very little..I mean too the hot coming me from the engine and cooler..Engine hot+100F hot air=Really HOT..!!In the fjr 06 model and after Yamaha has improvement this..(sorry for my not good language probably..)

Just now i finish the reading of your pdf..I was learning too much from this reading..!!Thanks a lot..!!!

Bottom line, even an unfaired bike at above 92 F is too hot for mesh. It causes the body's natural evaporation cooling to fail. Full gear with controlled vents to slow the evaporation down works but hydrate.

As for the list of other bikes you mentioned, all fully faired bikes are hotter in the summer than semi or unfaired bikes. By their nature there's less air flow. It's not a Gen 1 exclusive issue.

Bottom line, even an unfaired bike at above 92 F is too hot for mesh. It causes the body's natural evaporation cooling to fail. Full gear with controlled vents to slow the evaporation down works but hydrate.

As for the list of other bikes you mentioned, all fully faired bikes are hotter in the summer than semi or unfaired bikes. By their nature there's less air flow. It's not a Gen 1 exclusive issue.
I understand you 100% now..Many thanks for your informations..!! ;) :)

I use mine and could tell a difference last winter, before I bought a riding suit. With the suit on I don't notice the heat as much but haven't had a chnace to use it in the cold weather. It's was 85 the other day and I rode 100 mi and didn't notice the heat as long as I was moving. If I stopped in Traffic it was HOT period.

This is a little funny because I've been away from the forum for 2-3 yrs and this was the hot topic (sorry) back then still being hammered today. We even called Yamaha on their take on it. The only way this topic is going to be decided is for someone to step up and strap on or duct tape about 4 thermometers to their legs and cruise for a while, stop and take temps. Maybe a run in both directions for different wind factors, some pics and subject settled. I've had long trips in summer / winter and IMHO it seems that when the vents are closed, it blows very hot against the front part of the shin and not as much when opened.

git-r-dan :beach:

I still stand behind my opinion that those vents are the biggest bullshit attempt at lazy engineering and application I have seen in years. They are totally fricking useless. Just one more BS part to break and they look like half-assed shit when opened.

I'll never bother with them again.

Re: Temp probe runs

And, for validation, do the same runs, in the same conditions, for ever fully faired bike that is, or has been, on the market.

I still stand behind my opinion that those vents are the biggest bullshit attempt at lazy engineering and application I have seen in years. They are totally fricking useless. Just one more BS part to break and they look like half-assed shit when opened.

I'll never bother with them again.
++1...that's my 2c :rolleyes:

I just keep them open, or out all the time. I just like a deflection of air away from me no matter what the weather.

Re: Temp probe runs

And, for validation, do the same runs, in the same conditions, for ever fully faired bike that is, or has been, on the market.
Bounce my man, you got to pull your head out of the sand! I think it is safe to say that Gen I FJRs dump more heat on the rider than most modern fully faired bikes. Not all, but 'most'. And not all Gen I FJRs are created equal. The three I have owned have all been different in how much heat makes it to the rider.

So you need a vin under 1000?

Actually, my original point was that blanket statements about them being hot weren't valid. I'll stick to that.

I think these make a difference at a relatively low speed, but if wearing full gear, would probably not notice...