Slipper Clutch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quietguy

Reaction score
Yes, I've done the Search thingie a few times. Nothing definitive on what and how a slipper clutch works.

Experts educate me, please.

The old Concours had one for years. Don't know if the new one does or not. It is a neat safety feature when you get to agressive on the down shifts.

Yes, I've done the Search thingie a few times. Nothing definitive on what and how a slipper clutch works.
Experts educate me, please.
In the AUuust "Cycle World", Paul Dean answers your question on P. 122 in his "Service" column. Basically they use ramps of some kind to relieve/reduce clutch plate spring pressure when the engine is under "compression braking" so that the rear wheel doesn't lock up while hard braking.

It doesn't work under acceleration like dragsters and funny cars.

Thanks fellas...

...And the data available on the new Connie states it's equiped with one.

Lennie

As already stated here, it is basically a clutch device to reduce back torque on downshifts and to help rear end skids and the associated high sides with rear end skids.

My TLR has one and it works well on downshifts, but being a v-twin half of it's compression is on each stroke and locking up the rear duing downdhifts are easier on twins.

i have ridden a friends Ducati 900SS several times and you have to be careful and feather the downshifts more precisely.

I have never had a problem with rear downshift skids with the FJR, it seems to be less of a problem with an I4 engines.

I have never had a problem with rear downshift skids with the FJR, it seems to be less of a problem with an I4 engines.
A slipper would be a nice option. I have skidded and bounced the rear on hard downshifts many times. It is most disconcerting on lean.

I have learned to regulate the throttle by holding it between my thumb and palm while braking to avoid sliding the back tire under hard braking with downshift, but a slipper clutch would make it easier. Since I don't have ABS I have to be very careful not to over squeeze the front brake while twisting the throttle with the same hand.

I find myself in the occasional sharp nose-dive while downshifting, too. The Feej's transition from on and off back to on throttle doesn't help.

*looks out the window for UPS truck carrying PCIII ordered last week*

BTW, for good audio of a slipper clutch in action, watch a Superbike or MotoGP race, wait for an on-board shot of someone diving into a turn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Slipper-

Women_s_Slippers.jpg

Clutch-

fashi158782_88376_lg.jpg

Jeez, the q's here are getting so lame.......... :p

This is an old thread I know but a slipper clutch would be a welcome addition to the FJR.

If you are a corner junkie (or ride in the rain) and have spent some time on a bike equipped with a Slipper clutch you will miss it on the FJR.

With the closed throttle fueling shut off modern bikes are designed with you don't have abrupt deceleration upon closing the throttle when equipped with a SC.

The lack of this feature sticks out like the need for a sixth gear. I like my FJR, it's a really nice bike but it lacks some key features necessary for it to be a long term keeper.

The old Concours had one for years. Don't know if the new one does or not. It is a neat safety feature when you get to agressive on the down shifts.
I've known a lot of C-10 owners. That "slipper clutch" wasn't by design. It just happened with those old clunkers.
weirdsmiley.gif

As for the whole 6th gear issue...

33490d1317662107-need-help-choosing-primary-ccw-pistol-wife-zombie.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Get yourself an AE. You can do down-changes anytime, anyhow, anywhere. The YCC-S will smooth the clutch engagement very well. I do dreadful changes on slippery corners (lots of those here) and I'm still around to tell the tale.

Apparently this phenomenon is vastly misunderstood, however it is very real to those who are familiar with it.

Thanks for asking the question. I didn't know the purpose of a slipper clutch but its very clear now. I had a modded Bandit with lower gearing. Several times I almost got into trouble with going one gear too low in the twisties. Never went down, but I can see how the slipper clutch would be helpful.

Bill

How it mostly effects me is;

I'm set up for a curve, I have the right gear maybe about three K on the tach, I'm just holding the throttle steady when I suddenly notice the the road camber flattens out so I need to slow slightly and let off the throttle some and that's when I get way too much breaking from the engine, that much trailing rights the bike (or attempts to) and It makes me grab a hand full of clutch because if the on is as abrupt as the off I'm going to be in trouble.

A slipper will not let this happen and after riding/owning many bikes with one (Busa, ZX14, Concours 14) it is nice to have.