Smuggler

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeltaKappaZeta

Reaction score
With the weather being what it is lately around the Great Lakes I finally rode through rain and it turns out the Smuggler leaks. Nothing major but It still leaks.

Has anyone else experienced this?

With the weather being what it is lately around the Great Lakes I finally rode through rain and it turns out the Smuggler leaks. Nothing major but It still leaks.

Yes. I put a little o ring grease on the rubber seal and then adjusted the latch on mine so it has to be pretty tight before latching. I can't say it's 100% waterproof but it is for 90% of what you'll encounter. Still, I don't put any expensive electronics in there if there's a good chance of a downpour.

You simply must get rid of that pos.

I'll give you a fraction of its value and pay shipping!

I have heard of these leaking and wondered if it could be addressed as an automotive sunroof. That is to put a drain tube at the low point of the channel in front of the seal.

Bear in mind I have never examined one of these up close.

I agree with Chuck that you must sell that thing. Only, I'll pay twice what he's willing to pay if you pay for shipping.

Only in a heavy downpour , mine will let in, like, a tablespoon of wet, otherwise quite watertight. I also adjusted the hinge. Try that first.

Yes. I put a little o ring grease on the rubber seal and then adjusted the latch on mine so it has to be pretty tight before latching. I can't say it's 100% waterproof but it is for 90% of what you'll encounter. Still, I don't put any expensive electronics in there if there's a good chance of a downpour.
Thanks 20 - I'll try greasing it up to get a seal (damn that didn't come out quite right)!

Oddly enough I tightened the latch when I got the thing because it had some play when it was closed. Even so it still has some play but I don't think that is where the leak is (front of the lid). From where the wet spot is It looks like the water is coming in from the back where the hinge is. I looked at the hinge but it has no adjustment points and worse yet it's riveted in so removal/replacement is dicey as the glass lip it's mounted on is likely to brake with any pressure from a drill

Sadly Chuck's idea of inserting a drain while a good one won't work as the leak is at the high point.

Sully, Chuck is offering 1/2 the cost so at double his offer, get your cash ready....
tongue.gif

Mine don't leak a drop...I thought it would as the lid doesn't seem to have a watertight fit..I did futzz around with the latch and hinge positions....My hinge is not riveted but secures with screws and both hinge and latch adjust every which way on both lid and base. Somewhere on forum a guy made a seal out of silicone..you have to search for that puppy.

Hm.....having a smuggler sounds like a sound, untroubled investment....

Mine leaked like a sieve. Didn't fart around with the hinge, just remade a new seal using some RTV type stuff.

You guys remember that way back when? I must have posted it on a Friday because I ended up at the bottom of a dogpile... for spending so much for a farkle that leaked.

Still got it, still use it, and it's a badass piece o bidness.

And just because I keep everything inside my Smuggler sealed in plastic ziploc bags doesn't mean it still leaks.... :glare:

Thats alot of $$$$ for leaky storage. :unsure: What good are they if you can't put your good stuff in them? :glare: I don't get it, but I don't get alot these days. :lol:

Did you buy it new from Corbin? If so. I'd call them and see about returning it under warranty other to be fixed or exchanged.

I had a lot of Corbin products thru out the years,and have found them to stand behind what they sell.