So.....anyone own a ural?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just an update if anyone is interested. 1500 kilometers (the odometer doesn't read in miles) and finally the transmission shifts without the loud grinding noise that usually accompanied every shift. Its not a synchronized transmission so it still makes a loud clunk you can hear a block away. Buy stock in Locktite. Almost everyday you will pick up and re-install parts until you get them all tight. In 2 wheel drive its the hardest thing I ever had to steer! The ride is not so bad. It handles bumpy roads pretty well. But it makes the FKR stock seat more tolerable. The wife is even going for rides in it with me so thats a plus. As I said before the kids love it!!! Especially my son, the official spokesman for the bike. Another good thing is that it makes the FJR feel like a goldwing in comfort! As a matter of fact it makes it seem a little to efficient. The FJR stops on a dime, plenty of power, wind protection, parts are still there the next morning. The only thing that the Ural surpass it on is in its ability to carry 3, its load capacity is unbelievable, and its just a touch more fun. Its not a FJR replacement but it adds a little spice to the garage.

If you plan on riding the "little ones" then stay away from the military spec Ural because of the 2-wheel drive. There is a drive-shaft exposed that can grab you in a second going to the sidecar wheel.

Yep, seen that. Thanks for the heads up. They have a guard that almost looks like a step covering it. Thankfully my kids feet are big enough so they can't fit thru. Even if for some reason it snapped that guard would stop it.

ye gawds, I'm jealous. I've been lusting over one of those for years now. Just can't figure out where I'd store it. Almost ready to build a 2nd garage.