Sore Neck/Shoulder muscles after longer FJR rides

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had my 04 for almost 6 years now and is my primary mode of transportation to work and play. I've got it setup perfectly for me in every way except one which is where I hope somebody here has both suffered and resolved.
Anytime I take a ride longer than about 300 miles in one day, the top of my trapezius (bottom of neck / top of shoulders) muscles get real tight and painful. By 500 miles, I'm squirming around searching for relief. It sucks the joy out of the ride. I've got 1" risers, a Russell day long saddle and have attempted to adjust my seating posture in many different ways. None of it has helped. Anyone with a tactic for resolving this problem?

If I go on a big tour, or a lonmg day, I bring along Tylenol, on any of my bikes.

Steve
Runners carb load, as a skier, I have always "aspirin loaded". Now that I am riding, sounds like i need to start Vitamin I loading.

BTW, I see you are a Norton man. MG and I sometimes ride with some '72 Norton owners from Visalia. Those bikes draw lots of attention whenever and wherever we stop.

I've had my 04 for almost 6 years now and is my primary mode of transportation to work and play. I've got it setup perfectly for me in every way except one which is where I hope somebody here has both suffered and resolved.
Anytime I take a ride longer than about 300 miles in one day, the top of my trapezius (bottom of neck / top of shoulders) muscles get real tight and painful. By 500 miles, I'm squirming around searching for relief. It sucks the joy out of the ride. I've got 1" risers, a Russell day long saddle and have attempted to adjust my seating posture in many different ways. None of it has helped. Anyone with a tactic for resolving this problem?

If I go on a big tour, or a lonmg day, I bring along Tylenol, on any of my bikes.

Steve
Runners carb load, as a skier, I have always "aspirin loaded". Now that I am riding, sounds like i need to start Vitamin I loading.

BTW, I see you are a Norton man. MG and I sometimes ride with some '72 Norton owners from Visalia. Those bikes draw lots of attention whenever and wherever we stop.
CG2, glad to see the jackoffs replying to your "New Member" thread didn't run ya off. I, too, am a proponent of "Vitamin I" but be aware, if you suffer from any gastric disorders, it can be a "bad" thing. Use cautiously and wisely.

'Howie

I have found that I need to take a pain reliever before things start hurting and stretch and move around before shoulders, legs, etc start getting stiff and sore. If you try to work out the kinks after they develop it's too late.
Burk
Well we can't do anything about age! :(

I put 16 inch apehangers and forward controls on my FJR, which helped a lot. LOL
+1. To get even more effect, wear several layers of leather and chains for counterbalance.

-No matter how you slice it, riding long distances while slapping into potholes, bumps, expansion joints (a particular aggravation) and the like while remaining hypervigilant will take its toll no matter what position. Even sitting in a chair that long for many of us will result in discomfort due to our collection of injuries and approaching senility. I try to move around as much as possible because due to some personal pathology I don't like to make rest stops, which is probably the best solution. A spirited pace on roads that twist a bit force you to move and forget the discomfort. If twisties are not available, you can dice it with the tar snakes. However, best not to do that in the proximity of a Trooper. :angry:

I thought about a back belt for long rights to promote good posture and lumbar support. + 1 on everyone else

Buck

Dls.TX

Made some adjustments to the suspension on my 09 FJR after reading some post on the forum.

Made a ride of 300+ miles today on boring highways headed to the Arkansas Blues Festival.

Neck was extremely soarr upon arrival back at my adobe.

Settings may be too stiff, will soften up some and see if it helps.

Current setting:

Front

Preload at 3 lines

Compression at 8 clicks out

Rebound at 8 clicks out

Rear

Soft

Revound at 6 clicks out

As can be seen by the responses, this appears to be a fairly common affliction. And, given the demographics of this Forum, that should come as no suprise either.

I believe in medical terms it's called:

"Getting Older" (or at least that's what my orthopedic surgen calls it) :lol:

There appears to be no cure for it but, rest assured, you're in good company

An harley ultra glide is comfortable but it is slow. I tried one out and could not believe how comfortable they are but they run out of air about 95. Like someone said, you can put up with the discomfort for the speed and fun. The fjr is a butt killer for me.

Last edited by a moderator: