SPANK-FJR Results

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made it to Kitt Peak while the road was still open...did the 24 miles round trip to the summit of Kitt Peak... twisty roads - fun, but sloooow...I took a photo of the highest and biggest of the several telescopes to get my points....
Rally-m-f'ing-bastard Georgie Peorgie tells me I took a picture of the wrong telescope, so NO points. Zero, nada, zilch!  ...Even though all you wusses got the points and didn't even go to the top!
Whoa! Let me get this straight: the guys kegged up at the 'road closed' sign got the points for that bonus? I guess I could understand if you shot the wrong structure and didn't score, but why would those guys get credit...unless they were able to view the correct structure from their distant vantage point at the sign?? There seems to be a structure there in the upper right of Tel's photo...hmmmm...

Is there an appellate court to rule on these type of cases or is the RallyBastid the omnipotent god?

Also, is there a list of all the contestants and their scores and motorcycles used posted somewhere?

Also, Thanks for everyone posting, appreciated the insight. Very interested in trying this someday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoa! Let me get this straight: the guys kegged up at the 'road closed' sign got the points for that bonus? I guess I could understand if you shot the wrong structure and didn't score, but why would those guys get credit...
Man, that's just not right. :(

Yambone.

The bonus was available 8am to dusk, and indeed, one needed a pic with rally drawers of the iconic solar observatory. Look at the link, 2nd picture down.

https://www.noao.edu/outreach/kptour/

Greg took a copy of the 3rd pic down, wrong structure, bonus denied.

Now, seems that as the fall season has settled in, the area up top is still open till dusk, but access up is closed at 4pm. These kind of road closures are beyond a rally masters control, so......

Since the bonus was available till dusk, but the road was closed after 4, any rider denied access BEFORE dusk is entitled to the points, but only if they document the road closure with pictures etc. Everybody else did that, as well as they actually got the right telescope in the pics.

Another road in the rally was closed due to mudslides, but no one bothered to document the closure, so no points were granted.

HTH,

GZ

Another road in the rally was closed due to mudslides, but no one bothered to document the closure, so no points were granted.
For details on which road GZ is refering to in which no points were awarded due to road closure, please refer to mistake number two in my ride report...

:angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
GZ, thanks for the explanation. Seems like the rally bonus rules, employed logically, can still make for strange results. Spirit of the law vs letter of the law kind of thing.

IIRC, some riders on the Utah rally hiked up a long hill to get a shot of one of the Arches, while a few were able to get the bonus taking a shot from a more distant (but easier) parking lot. I thought maybe this could be a similar situation if the telescope you mentioned is in (distant) view from the road closure.

I don't know enough about the rally rules, but I can see how it would pay to know all the loopholes re: road closures, etc. I don't envy the RallyBastid when it comes down to a close call like that one with SkooterG. :bigeyes:

Eh, road closures are nothing.

The low-point of being an RM is having to tell someone who is otherwise having a great ride, that they are DNF because of improperly followed rules or protocol.

That part really sucks.

I don't really like being called a rally bastard, my job not being that of the bastard, but enforcer of an EXACTLY level playing field.

In all truth, a rally is the one place I know of where ( metaphorically ) the millionaire is equal to the pauper. One small mistake can mean the end of your rally, and them's the rules folks.

GZ

IIRC, some riders on the Utah rally hiked up a long hill to get a shot of one of the Arches, while a few were able to get the bonus taking a shot from a more distant (but easier) parking lot.
As one of those Utah riders that did exactly that and got points while taking a picture WAY FAR AWAY I'd like to say it's through some modicum of skill I had to predict the ruling of the rallymaster, but the truth is I did it because I couldn't do the hike while clutching my tank bag and in full motorcycle gear.

It was a bonus to the bonus that Chalmers accepted it in my opinion. I think Earls had caught him in a good mood by asking if it was OK for the alternate shot before the rally started.

On the other side I remember George getting the beat down publicly in the form of hysterical laughter with his Sharpie augmented half pixel Polaroid of the lighthouse in the IBR.....or at least Higdon's posts to the world on the subject ;0

This ruling could either be because George learned a valuable logic lesson in the IBR and wants to instill the same level of respect with his Spank riders....or it could be a passive-agressive form of hazing of the Spank Pledges.

Regardless, George, you stated your case very well. You sounded absolutely like an authority. I believed you. You sounded......dare I say.......like Austin did at the IBR brief? :bleh:

My only question is if you caught or suspect any riders stopped for a dip at any hot springs?

Hey Kids!

SPANK 2005 Results will be up on the web in a day or two. Maybe sooner.

Quit asking me! ;)

There are a few surprises in the results, stay tuned.

GZ

GZ, thanks for the explanation. Seems like the rally bonus rules, employed logically, can still make for strange results. Spirit of the law vs letter of the law kind of thing.
IIRC, some riders on the Utah rally hiked up a long hill to get a shot of one of the Arches, while a few were able to get the bonus taking a shot from a more distant (but easier) parking lot. I thought maybe this could be a similar situation if the telescope you mentioned is in (distant) view from the road closure.

I don't know enough about the rally rules, but I can see how it would pay to know all the loopholes re: road closures, etc. I don't envy the RallyBastid when it comes down to a close call like that one with SkooterG. :bigeyes:
SH(tuff) happens. In the Texas Two Step rally, one bonus location was scouted several years ago for potential use in another rally (it wasn't). When the RM asked me to validate everything previously documented, I did so about a month before the rally. This was a place that had been "as is" for years and remained unchanged even at that late date.

Day of the rally, we get a call from one rider that the &&%*Q requirement wasn't there and if we &%@!@#$ were gonna send riders down such !@#$&%* convoluted routes to get to a !@%(# bonus, it should at least &%($(! be there.

If it hadn't been for the fact that he was talking to me and not the RM (the RM said what he could: "if you don't think it's there, then document it as best you can. If no one else finds the required item, then I'll consider it and you may get credit.") he probably would have been booted for "abuse". Since I knew the guy I knew there was lattitude in how we talk to each other. (So I told him to bite my ass and act like a big boy.)

After I got off the phone, a couple of other workers and I did a supply run and also went by to triple check the bonus location. Turns out, after all those years, the plaques (one of which was the requirement) had been removed.

How can you plan for that? SH(tuff) happens. Bend with the wind and do the best you can under the circumstances. Flexibility and ingenuity are good skills to have when rallying.

@Bounce, well said. From what I can tell, these rallies are rolling theatres with many twists of fate possible, and there has to be room for judgement calls from the RM.

@GZ, at the risk of becoming a complete pain in the ask, any chance of putting the bike types of the contestants in those standings?

Yambone.

I won't change the web page, but I can jot them down here.

Lots of FJR, 3 BMW GS, Concourse, 2 ST1300, 2 K bikes, A Yamaha Metric cruiser, two older BMW R-bikes, and I think thats it.

2005 BMW GS took first, and FJR's 2 and 3.

Clearly, to win rally's, you need a BMW. :cownoy: :dribble: :erm: :detect: :bigeyes:

Hoo boy.

GZ

2005 BMW GS took first, and FJR's 2 and 3.
Clearly, to win rally's, you need a BMW. :cownoy: :dribble: :erm: :detect: :bigeyes:

Hoo boy.

GZ
Let's not forget that the rider on the winning BMW also owns a Yamaha FJR...that gives him an edge even while on his Bavarian ride. ;)