Spark Plug Wire

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opt8low

Reaction score
Well I went and did it. Went to change my plugs tonight and when pulling out the number 4 plug wire it seperated from the spark plug boot. :( I was not just pulling on the cable. I thought I was pulling the boot also, but they came apart anyway. I pushed the wire back in to the boot and heard a sound like the copper wire was contacting a metal conductor. When I got it all back together it started right up and came right to one grand on the tach. Can't take for a ride right have both tires off.

Is this going to be OK until I can get a new plug wire? I am betting yes, because I am sure the wire is making contact, and it is not running rough. What do all the experts here think?????

FIRE AWAY!!!!

Dana

I'm with BDog. Order the wire so you have it on hand, until then ride away. Check to see that the repair you made will hold - is the wire snug in it's socket, or does it want to pull out too easy? If it's the latter, it could come partway out while on the road, resulting in loss of power. You could always cement it in place with some silicone adhesive while the tires are getting taken care of.

Thanks for the replies. I am pretty sure it will stay in the boot. It seems that it is tighter now, then it was when I first pulled it out. Tires will be done tomorrow and I will get Gary at University Motors in Fargo to order one for me. It is nice to be only an hour away from him. :p

Nice to have a little reassurance.

Thanks,

Dana

If it is the type that just twists on it will have a little "screw" inside that screws into the center of the plug wire. I just trim 1/8" to 1/4" off the end of the wire and re-install.

Thanks for the reassurance guys.

Called Gary at University motors yesterday and looked into getting a new plug wire. He mentioned that you can order the spark plug boot and the coil, but not the cable. The cables come with the coil. I will just ride it and see how it goes.

Now I would be riding right now if Southwest Moto would have shipped my tires UPS instead of FedEx. Fedex is going to take seven days to get me tires from AZ and I am in MN. Fedex tells me because I am in a "RURAL AREA" that is why it takes that long. According to the tracking information. The tires were 30 miles away from me Friday morning at 5:30AM. You think you would just put it on the truck and deliver it. I even called and they would not let me come to there office and pick the tires up.

Sorry for the rant... F**K Southwest Moto as long as they keep shipping Fedex.

Dana

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reassurance guys.
Called Gary at University motors yesterday and looked into getting a new plug wire. He mentioned that you can order the spark plug boot and the coil, but not the cable. The cables come with the coil. I will just ride it and see how it goes.

Now I would be riding right now if Southwest Moto would have shipped my tires UPS instead of FedEx. Fedex is going to take seven days to get me tires from AZ and I am in MN. Fedex tells me because I am in a "RURAL AREA" that is why it takes that long. According to the tracking information. The tires were 30 miles away from me Friday morning at 5:30AM. You think you would just put it on the truck and deliver it. I even called and they would not let me come to there office and pick the tires up.

Sorry for the rant...  F**K Southwest Moto as long as they keep shipping Fedex.

Dana
They shipped different times for me using UPS. Maybe you can request it next time?

Skyway,

I hope they start using UPS all the time. I hate to see other people get screwed like I did. Free shipping is worthless if it takes 7 days to get something.

I have learned my lesson. I will call Gary at University Motors from now on and go pick the tires up from him. (Only an hour away) At least he is honest and comes close to the price of SWM.

Live and learn I guess,

Dana