Speigler Clutch Line

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C&C

Reaction score
Well, I finally got the nerve to do the Speigler clutch line replacement yesterday. I completed the brakes lines a couple of weeks ago and all went well. I first investigated the clutch line replacement last weekend, looked at the clearances, re-read some of the posts concerning difficulties and decided to tackle it another day.

So with a second look and a new strategy I went for it. It took about 2 1/1 hours, but as they say, if I had to do it a second time it would have been about half that time.

I raised the tank, loosened the "T" bar and tied back the electrical bundle that is above the bolt that holds the posterior strap for the clutch line.

I fed the new cable through the front frame and threaded it back to the rear exit area (I didn't disconnect the old clutch line because I was a little afraid I couldn't complete the install and would be stuck with no clutch, however had I had more faith in my ability, removing the old line first would have made it an easier install and in hindsight would have been the thing to do in the first place).

After threading the new line in place and doing the standard hookup and bleeding, I then tackled removing the old line. The old line has rubber terminuses at each end, but the run from the front of the frame to the back, is rubber covered metal line. This made removal a little difficult but you just have to give it a long steady pull and it will come out.

I removed the line holder grommets from the original lines, made shims from some old rubber hose to fatten the Speiglers and re-installed the grommet over the shimmed lines and re-attached to the frame. (Tight quarters to re-install the back line clamp but not scarry tight) The front one was less problematic and the job was done.

On a one to five wrenching scale, I would give this job a solid three, three and a half.

Anyway, just thought I would share my experience. Not as scarry as I thought but you just have to think it out, take your time and stick with it.

Thanks for the writeup. I'm still sitting on the brake/clutch lines for my 04ABS.

Confidence level issue. Will get to it one day soon I hope.

I'm up for a ride to your beautiful city! Almost rode up yesterday as a matter of fact. Yeah, sounds good! Anyone else in SoCal needing to install their lines?

So with a second look and a new strategy I went for it. It took about 2 1/1 hours, but as they say, if I had to do it a second time it would have been about half that time.
Wholly smokes, you are a patient person :) ! After about 30 minutes of wrestling with mine, I got fed up. I cut it in half and pulled it out. Then I put the new one in in about 5 minutes.

Rick

Ride report:

Clutch lines, no difference but didn't expext any; I did the clutch line so I wouldn't have to ever change it again.

Brake lines, quicker initial braking, then linier from first braking through either release or increase in pressure. (I have to attribute some of this to the Carbon brake pads that were installed in conjuction with the lines. (Again, a major reason for putting on the Speigler's was to change the lines once and not have to do it again.) The brake does feel slightly tigher on the handle and foot pedal, and as with the Yamaha standard lines, two finger braking is all I need.

Of course, regular brake fluid changes (flushes) and bleeding will continue on a regular (probably, once per year) basis.

Was it worth the $200 for the brake/clutch/pads (non ABS), I'll definitely have to say yes, and the wrenching was enjoyable as well.

Ride report:
Clutch lines, no difference but didn't expext any; I did the clutch line so I wouldn't have to ever change it again.

Brake lines, quicker initial braking, then linier from first braking through either release or increase in pressure. (I have to attribute some of this to the Carbon brake pads that were installed in conjuction with the lines. (Again, a major reason for putting on the Speigler's was to change the lines once and not have to do it again.) The brake does feel slightly tigher on the handle and foot pedal, and as with the Yamaha standard lines, two finger braking is all I need.

Of course, regular brake fluid changes (flushes) and bleeding will continue on a regular (probably, once per year) basis.

Was it worth the $200 for the brake/clutch/pads (non ABS), I'll definitely have to say yes, and the wrenching was enjoyable as well.
Way to go C&C.

It feels good to pull off a nice farkle with no unintended consequences.

:D :D :D :D :D

Another vote for cutting the old clutch line!!

I did it last night, and I can't imagine how much time it saved. I guess I'll never know ... :clap:

Last edited by a moderator: