Sport Touring on a ZX1400R ABS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For several years I had a FJR along with not one but two Blackbirds (a 2001 and then a 2003 model).
I had the Blackbirds farkled for long distance riding (especially the 2003 model) and the FJR was set up to my liking of course.

I ended up keeping the FJR and selling the Blackbird mainly because I don't have time or space in my life for two motorcycles, now anyway, and they were so close in capability given my limitations as a rider, that it did not make great sense to keep the Blackbird around.

I do miss that motorcycle though. It was gorgeous, fun, reliable as hell, comfortable and, as the kids say, bad-ass in a very understated way that you don't see very often. Honda can pull that off once in a while.

As I aged though, the comfort of the FJR began to be the dominant factor in selling the Blackbird. For my money, it is all the thrill I need in a two wheeled machine. And it is just as gorgeous and reliable.

The FJR is the go to bike for long distance riding in my opinion.

I agree the smaller you are, the fitter you are, the younger you are, the more a full size sport bike weapon like the ZX-14 can be usefully deployed as a ST bike. Not so sure about two up riding unless she has a fantastic attitude about these things. Good luck on that.

As an embittered, aging, plump, firearms enthusiast, however, I am in the proper demographic for the FJR and hope to be for years to come.
endivita, great post, I like it.......

I've never owned a Blackbird (rode a few) and I think they are great bikes, maybe I will have one someday.

"smaller you are", I think I fit this category, 5'8", 150 with full gear just after a rain.

"fitter you are", not sure I fit this category very well anymore (see below), but sure trying! I am beyond 600 and liter bikes except maybe for the track, but I think my track days are behind me (see below), and there are no tracks within reasonable range to my loaction.

"younger you are", I'm pretty sure I am beyond this category, at age 71.

"ZX-14 can be usefully deployed as a ST bike", This is my category. I don't do that much touring anymore, but when I do, it's still the ZX14, it's fits me and my style and the wife likes it (see below), smooth, quick, and comfy for us. The FJR is a great bike, much better than the previously owned Honda ST1300A. If I had more storage space I would probably keep the FJR.

"Good luck on that", I definitely fall into this category. The wife's style of riding co-pilot is similar to mine, she prefers the ZX14 over the FJR, which she calls the 'Grandpa' bike, she often cracks me up! Says the FJR doesn't have enough sport and too much cruiser. She loves the human backpack position of the ZX14, with none of the buffeting of the FJR. Yep, I feel lucky!

"firearms enthusiast", I'm sure I also fit this category!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to keep this old thread alive! But I recently picked up a low-miles 2014 ZX14R in hopes of outfitting it for sport touring to replace the FJR. What a beast of a bike. First time I got off it I said: "whoo hoo! sledge hammer!" What power this thing has. And it's so docile up to about 6,000 rpm.

Anyway I've had it for a month now and have only logged about 600 miles on it b/c of weather and outfitting work. Almost immediately I changed the wind screen to the larger Zero Gravity, then I installed 1.25" bar risers, and 1.375" lower foot pegs to better accommodate my 6' 3" 190lbs. Much better comfort now.

The jury is still out on whether this bike will actually be able to replace the FJR. I hope to get a long distance trip or two on it in the April/May time frame and I am hoping that will give me an answer. Looking forward to the 2018 riding season!
smile.png

20180318_164009sm.jpg

Great looking bike, flat black and red accent, I really like it. I see the OEM cans have been replaced with what looks like carbon. I saved about 50 lbs with a 4-1 carbon Yosh on my 06' 14 and about 25 lbs with Two Brother carbons on the 12' 14R, so your curb weight is already down from stock. I haven't as yet found any reasonably priced side cases for the 14R, and not really sure I would want them. I do a tank bag and rear seat bag which is fine for now, although I am shopping for an expandable for the rear.

Welcome to the club of the silly insanely fast muscle bikes. I hope you will post back with your opinion after you have had an opportunity to explore all the great features of the bike, as well as, the bad.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I will post back as I learn more about this machine.

The 2bros were installed on it when I got it and I love the sound. Nice growl/snarl when you get down on it. I put two brand new Michelin PR4s on it, changed the oil, and now I am wiring in all my electronics.

The Givi hard bags just do not work for me .... they stick out too far from the bike when looking from the rear. They just don't look right. So right now I'm down to these two sets:

I have always liked Cortech stuff but it just doesn't seem to match the bike's hooligan nature. The Cortech just looks a little too organized and too much like airline luggage for such an aggressive looking bike LOL. The Fastrax luggage looks a bit more rugged so maybe it's the better choice. I'll figure it out. If anyone has suggestions?! :)

Thanks for the warm welcome! I will post back as I learn more about this machine.
The 2bros were installed on it when I got it and I love the sound. Nice growl/snarl when you get down on it. I put two brand new Michelin PR4s on it, changed the oil, and now I am wiring in all my electronics.

The Givi hard bags just do not work for me .... they stick out too far from the bike when looking from the rear. They just don't look right. So right now I'm down to these two sets:

I have always liked Cortech stuff but it just doesn't seem to match the bike's hooligan nature. The Cortech just looks a little too organized and too much like airline luggage for such an aggressive looking bike LOL. The Fastrax luggage looks a bit more rugged so maybe it's the better choice. I'll figure it out. If anyone has suggestions?! :)
Those are both pretty small - 2 saddlebags 28l, less than 1 FJR bag.

I have had great success over the years with my Wolfman Beta. I haven't found a bike yet that it won't fit on. It's my go-to bag when renting a bike.