• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

SPOT on sale

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAJW

Reaction score
If you don't have one of these, this is a perfect excuse to pick one up. Half off a Gen3 unit until Jan.4th. I've had my Gen1 since March of 2008 (about 6 mos. after they were first offered) and it hasn't missed a beat. Great piece of mind for you and loved ones who aren't along for the ride, hike, bar hopping etc....

Another nice feature is you can subscribe to tracking, turn on the unit, hide it in your car and use it for locating your vehicle if it ever is stolen. Either that or you can use your smart phone to access the mapped location if you can't find it in the mall parking lot.
wink.png

https://findmespot.com/HolidayHalf/lander.php

I had posted this in Parts and Accessories, as I don't have one for sale and don't know why it was moved to Classified Ads - For Sale.
unsure.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I am in the market, but probably leaning towards the more capable Delorme In Reach. But money is money.
fool.gif

Can SPOTs be used without a subscription service?
No. There are different plans, depending on whether or not you want user initiated tracking (meaning you manually create a location report) or automatic reporting. I went with the former initially, but felt that having to stop or worse yet, trying to send a position while underway was not the safest way to go so I opted for the automatic reporting. They have different options now, such as road side service etc.. so investigate all that they have to offer and what works best for you.

Caveat- The Gen 3 units are motion activated so tracking options appear to be basic or extreme only. The Gen 1 (SPOT Personal Tracker) like mine can be used with a basic plan (no auto report) or track progress. Not familar with the Gen 2 product line, but hopefully someone with one will chime in.

I had a Gen II that I recently traded for Gen III when it went kaput.

I like both, but the Gen III seems a bit better, and can use rechargeable, unlike the Gen II which used expensive Lithium Ion dispensables.

The SPOT tracking service is decent, not perfect, but provides appropriate piece of mind. The PNW crew can share the tracking and notification service: e.g. I create a profile for each of us, and quickly switch from one to another when we are out for a ride. We've gotten good use out of this, and nice to check in on someone out for a longer multi-day ride. I like it for riding adventure bikes solo in the mountains where I don't get cell service and which are not well traveled.

They offer something pretty cool: the MediVac insurance for $12 a year, which is a bargain and helps make the annual cost of service ($150) more tolerable. Tons of guys will argue how their cell phone can do tracking for free, but only if they have coverage, which in the PNW cuts out a lot of riding territory.

If you don't have one of these, this is a perfect excuse to pick one up. Half off a Gen3 unit until Jan.4th. I've had my Gen1 since March of 2008 (about 6 mos. after they were first offered) and it hasn't missed a beat. Great piece of mind for you and loved ones who aren't along for the ride, hike, bar hopping etc....Another nice feature is you can subscribe to tracking, turn on the unit, hide it in your car and use it for locating your vehicle if it ever is stolen. Either that or you can use your smart phone to access the mapped location if you can't find it in the mall parking lot.
wink.png

I like that idea, John. Maybe I'll attach it to my keys or my phone. Or my wallet. Or my . . . oh hell, if only I knew what I was going to be looking for next. But hidden inside your car, I suspect it wouldn't link up with the satellite, would it? Does that really work?

I have a SPOT 2 and am thinking about upgrading to the SPOT 3 so I can use the USB power supply.

I am confused by the pricing on the plans they offer on the SPOT 3. It looks like they offer a basic plan for 99 dollars which includes tracking at 10 minute intervals. Is this true? The SPOT 2 requires a basic service plus an extra 50 dollars for tracking.

Also, since I just paid the annual fee for my SPOT 2, can I simply swap that service contract over to the new SPOT 3?

If you don't have one of these, this is a perfect excuse to pick one up. Half off a Gen3 unit until Jan.4th. I've had my Gen1 since March of 2008 (about 6 mos. after they were first offered) and it hasn't missed a beat. Great piece of mind for you and loved ones who aren't along for the ride, hike, bar hopping etc....Another nice feature is you can subscribe to tracking, turn on the unit, hide it in your car and use it for locating your vehicle if it ever is stolen. Either that or you can use your smart phone to access the mapped location if you can't find it in the mall parking lot.
wink.png

I like that idea, John. Maybe I'll attach it to my keys or my phone. Or my wallet. Or my . . . oh hell, if only I knew what I was going to be looking for next. But hidden inside your car, I suspect it wouldn't link up with the satellite, would it? Does that really work?
Mike, I know it works through the FJR side bags, Givi Top Case and my Jeep Rubicon, which has a composite top. Have not yet tried it with a metal topped vehicle. Just went out and put SPOT under the seat of my Chevy pickup (metal roof) and it's sending position reports as it should.
smile.png

No reason to. Unless you travel or tour and no one knows exactly where you are if you were to leave the roadway and crash. Or break down in the middle of nowhere in adverse comditions. Or even just commute on a vehicle thats exceedingly hard to find if you go missing. I go into the mountains and never take the same route twice. If a deer or other obstacle leaves me down a canyon, it might be years before I'm found without an iphone signal or spot. But not for everyone.

I don't get it, why in the world would you pay to be tracked?? :uhoh:

Remember, the Spot can be directly interfaced to the Assistance List.

Doing so means pressing the 'HELP' button on the Spot will contact any other list members within a 50 mile radius of you, as well as any additional contacts you wish to enter into the Assistance List.

Give Help, Get Help.

Another nice feature is you can subscribe to tracking, turn on the unit, hide it in your car and use it for locating your vehicle if it ever is stolen. Either that or you can use your smart phone to access the mapped location if you can't find it in the mall parking lot.
wink.png
Hmmm... I believe there are two different types of tracking. One type works like it has on the previous generations where tacking is automatically disabled after 24 hours. The other, extreme tracking, allows the unit to track as long as it has juice.

I use a SPOT Trace in Debbie's vehicle. She doesn't have to do anything. It automatically starts tracking when the vehicle starts moving and stops tracking when she stops moving. Pretty convenient. And the batteries last a long time.