Sprechen Sie Deutsch?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't understand much German, but that seemed to be funny.
mda.gif

As I understand it, it is common for Germans to make new words by adding existing words together. At least that is the way Marco explained it to me. In theory, a German word can be infinitely long. Unlike in English, an extra concept can simply be added to the existing word indefinitely. Such extended words are sometimes known as Bandwurmwörter - "tapeworm words". Mark Twain observed: "Some German words are so long that they have a perspective."

What say that mangler of many international languages Beemer'?

As I understand it, it is common for Germans to make new words by adding existing words together. At least that is the way Marco explained it to me. In theory, a German word can be infinitely long. Unlike in English, an extra concept can simply be added to the existing word indefinitely. Such extended words are sometimes known as Bandwurmwörter - "tapeworm words". Mark Twain observed: "Some German words are so long that they have a perspective."
Our Dearest Alan Ionbeam, All that Herr Petey und Papa Chuy Viejo have to say about this so interesting subject is:

Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz!

Last edited by a moderator:

Our Dearest Alan Ionbeam, All that Herr Petey und Papa Chuy Viejo have to say about this so interesting subject is:

Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz!
Exactly!

Ich spreche Deutsch und dass ist ganz lustig!!
Ya, Ich glaube du hast recht.

Ionbeam has it right. The video basically makes fun of the fact that German will simply combine existing words to create a new word. Simple example: is kugelschreiber = pen (literally: ball writer)

I understand German. We had a German NCR machine, it had this warning sign:

Das machine is nicht fur gerfingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der Sprinngwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das Dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das Pockets, relaxen und watch das blinkenlights...
I have no trouble understanding it at all.

Last edited by a moderator: