Starcom1 Digital and wireless Headset

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stewarth

Reaction score
Still in the research phase on this one, but I am wondering if its possible to get the best of both worlds. The Starcom1 Digital meets all of my requirements for quality, range of inputs, controls and level of customization / tuning available. My wife and I have never used a setup like this before and think its going to be great, but being wired to the bike is not something we are familiar with.

I have seen the Bluetooth option for a phone or gps input, but I haven't been able to find a solution for wireless headsets. It would be my preference to find a way to either support a Bluetooth setup on the rider helmet and pillion, or any other reliable wireless option.

I have seen various Bluetooth Helmets on offer, plus kits and the Scala Rider TeamSet setup. But I haven't see one that would support a GPS, Blackberry Bold (also GPS, Radio, MP3) or Phone and Ipod for the wife. Plus I don't know how well the batteries would go on a full Blue Tooth setup.

Any ideas, or am I barking up a tree and should direct this to Starcom as a wish list?

Stewart

Still in the research phase on this one, but I am wondering if its possible to get the best of both worlds. The Starcom1 Digital meets all of my requirements for quality, range of inputs, controls and level of customization / tuning available. My wife and I have never used a setup like this before and think its going to be great, but being wired to the bike is not something we are familiar with.
I have seen the Bluetooth option for a phone or gps input, but I haven't been able to find a solution for wireless headsets. It would be my preference to find a way to either support a Bluetooth setup on the rider helmet and pillion, or any other reliable wireless option.

I have seen various Bluetooth Helmets on offer, plus kits and the Scala Rider TeamSet setup. But I haven't see one that would support a GPS, Blackberry Bold (also GPS, Radio, MP3) or Phone and Ipod for the wife. Plus I don't know how well the batteries would go on a full Blue Tooth setup.

Any ideas, or am I barking up a tree and should direct this to Starcom as a wish list?

Stewart
I have the Starcom 1 Advanced. Not using the Bluetooth adapter so haven't tried it with the phone. Usually ride solo but bought the rider/pillion kit just for those times I don't. Used my mp3 and a GMRS/FRS for music and bike2bike during a trip from FL to MO in July and it worked great. I bought a gps with audio out jack but don't have a mount for the gps so haven't plugged it in yet. Also bought a portable CB but need to get the connecting cable to plug into the Starcom.

I have the Starcom 1 Advanced. Not using the Bluetooth adapter so haven't tried it with the phone. Usually ride solo but bought the rider/pillion kit just for those times I don't. Used my mp3 and a GMRS/FRS for music and bike2bike during a trip from FL to MO in July and it worked great. I bought a gps with audio out jack but don't have a mount for the gps so haven't plugged it in yet. Also bought a portable CB but need to get the connecting cable to plug into the Starcom.
Thanks for the details. Maybe I should change the question. What opinions do people have on being wired to the bike with a pillion versus wireless? What setup do you find works best and how sturdy are the connectors with being connected/disconnected frequently?

Any other views, opinions?

Stewart

Last edited by a moderator:
The connections on the Starcom are excellent, you do have to be careful to line them up properly, or you will be sorry. Quality of sound is great.

We don't find the wires to be such a bother, you get used to it. I would love Bluetooth instead, but would be using batteries for it all the time. Wired is a bit of pain, but in the long run, cheaper. Would I go with BT if available, probably so long as I didn't lose quality of the sound/voice comm.

I use the Starcom digital with GMRS radio, IPod, GPS, and radar detector all routed through it. I also ride two-up sometimes. I would go wireless if it was a real otpion - but, as of yet, it isn't. The wires, though, are manageable. Lots of issues with the Starcom mostly revolving around wind noise management. Compounded two up especially with the passenger up high on the FJR. Helmets, windshields, speed, crosswinds, etc. all come into play.

I use the Starcom digital with GMRS radio, IPod, GPS, and radar detector all routed through it. I also ride two-up sometimes. I would go wireless if it was a real otpion - but, as of yet, it isn't. The wires, though, are manageable. Lots of issues with the Starcom mostly revolving around wind noise management. Compounded two up especially with the passenger up high on the FJR. Helmets, windshields, speed, crosswinds, etc. all come into play.

Are the wind / noise management systems better in units other than the StarCom? What do people like for the FJR?

I've been perfectly happy with my autocom, but would buy a starcom today. Autocom's distribution in USA is suspect at best. Wind noise is a problem with the face shield up but not at all with it down.

I don't have a problem being wired. I have the Starcom1 Advance with phone, GPS and ipod routed through it. Works quite well.

If you find a wireless that works, you will have to deal with recharging the (necessarily large batteries frequently. You need several watts of power to overcome the noise especially if you use earplugs like I do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't find wind noise with the Starcom Digital a problem at all. We both wear Full face Shoei helmets. Stock wind screen in the spring and fall and an '03 shortie for the summer. The music mutes when we speak and then starts up again. The radar detector is wired in as well and only needs to be turned on to be heard well. turn up the volume and it will blow your helmet off. Love the setup.

I've been an Autocom guy for the last 5 years, but right now, as mentioned already, they're US availability, support, etc. is questionable.

I would much prefer to be wireless, but that technology just hasn't got there yet................until maybe now.

This looks pretty good, and close to what I think we're all looking for

https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-int...tooth-intercom/

I'm giving it some time to get out there and see what folks think. We're getting closer!

Autocom has a new US distributor coming online very soon from what I've been told. I've also had contact with Autocom UK in the past and they've always been great. Locally Autocom has been very well supported through our BMW dealer. I've not tried the Starcom but I was very close to purchasing one this month. If nothing else, just to get experience with something new to me. Instead I decided to stick with Autocom due to my familiarity with the product. I tossed out my Pro-7 and bought the new Super Pro Automatic last week. I've had very little time to give it a good evaluation, but so far I'm pleased. Certainly not audiophile quality equipment, but considering all the external noise I'm subjected to while riding it's more than adequate.

I have it connected to my Zumo 550 and my iPhone is bluetoothed to the Zumo. Installation wasn't too difficult. Doco could be a lot better, but I was able to pick through it to find the information I needed to get the cell phone interface working. Not that I ever use my cell phone while riding (I ride to get away from that crap) but the engineer in me couldn't resist getting the interface to work since it was there. I tried my iPhone on the bike with the bike not running and then riding at 70 mph. My wife couldn't tell the difference. In fact I asked her which call sounded more clear and she chose the call I made while I was riding the bike. The voice audio is compressed so it does sound slightly tinny but it's perfectly legible. Until I have more time to trim the vox and volume settings, my opinion is still out as to how well the Super Pro Automatic (Who comes up with these names?) will function through a wide range of riding conditions. So far I'm pleased. Not that I'm surprised considering how old the Pro-7 is, but the new Autocom is a big leap forward compared to the Pro-7.

As for wireless headsets... powering a bluetooth connection and cranking out some volume in helmet speakers with small batteries seems like a difficult task. At least without swapping in fresh batteries every 3 or 4 hours. The cables for the Autocom are substantial but they don't bother me at all.

Just another observation.

Dave

I've been an Autocom guy for the last 5 years, but right now, as mentioned already, they're US availability, support, etc. is questionable.
I would much prefer to be wireless, but that technology just hasn't got there yet................until maybe now.

This looks pretty good, and close to what I think we're all looking for

https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-int...tooth-intercom/

I'm giving it some time to get out there and see what folks think. We're getting closer!

All of the current Bluetooth headsets do not support stereo wireless, which is a problem if you listen to MP3. Scala is supposed to have a unit out shortly that will support AD2P (wireless stereo bluetooth).

I've used a Starcom Advanced for a year, to power GPS, Ipod, radar, Bike 2 bike radio via GMRS, and rider to passenger. Once I got the unit sorted out, it was very enjoyable: audio was great, bike to bike was a winner, and nice to hear the radar.

I added the bluetooth module for the phone. It works flawlessly. Sound quality is a bit compromised with the phone when riding, but primarily due to my mic placement (my Shoei X11 places the mic foam right on my lips which dehydrates them).

My time has not been without problems, all under warranty, and with EXCELLENT customer service from BikeEffects:

1. I've had both rider and passenger headsets replaced, as one speaker in each went out.

2. Two starcom boards were replaced when I first got the unit. The third has been trouble free for 8 months.

3. VOX was a bit touchy until it was set up correctly. High winds or a passing semi will cause the mute to kick in. I turned it off, and use a PTT switch for bike2bike.

4. The connectors for the headsets are SVGA type connectors, with thin pins. If you insert them carefully, no issues. But if you don't pay attention and jam them in, you can accidently bend a pin. The autocom uses much thicker cables/connectors, like XLR's, and don't have that problem.

So, functionality is excellent, sound quality and performance is excellent, reliability is hit or miss (in fairness, I've had many friends with no problems with Starcom, and my unit seems to be working fine after the third board). I would not go wireless until I've heard they have resolved their issues and sound quality.

Not true. WebBikeWorld reviewed a ton of Bluetooth comm systems earlier this year and several of them do A2DP - Chatterbox XBi, for instance. I really want to pick one up if I can figure out a good way to get the in-ear buds that I already own to fit into the system.

All of the current Bluetooth headsets do not support stereo wireless, which is a problem if you listen to MP3. Scala is supposed to have a unit out shortly that will support AD2P (wireless stereo bluetooth).