starting issue

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattster344

Reaction score
Greetings FJR folk. Been a while since I've posted but I seem to be having an issue. This past Wednesday when riding from Ottawa to Hamilton I was caught in a freak snowstorm and had to bunk in for the night in Prescott at a great B&B (Colonel's inn) Anyways, I had to ride a few Km's in a fair amount of slush and snow to get there and when I went to start the bike up the next morning, It wouldn't....... Cranked over fine (new battery) and would give me the odd catch and "pop". Eventually had to push it around in an attempt to bump start it and after 1/2 hour it finally fired up. During this time however, it smelled like it was flooded (gas odour). Wasn't sure if it was just from the continued effort to start it. Ran fine the rode home but then I went to start it again and it did the same thing.....finally pushed it back into the garage and drove to work. Has this happened to anyone else? Perhaps it's coincidental but I can't seem to see why that brief jaunt through the slush would have created this problem. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance folks!

matt

The usual cause of your symptoms is if you start the bike when cold, then shut it down before it's warmed up. This can flood the engine, resulting in requiring prodigious use of full throttle while cranking for many seconds to get it to start.

Don't think this would happen after riding for "a few Kms".

Maybe you've manage to get some water somewhere in the HT plug circuit, though I've never heard of the FJR being prone to damp.

Some light reading here. Don't touch the throttle and crank until it starts [within reason].

As mentioned, usually happens after a cold start and then shutdown w/o complete warm-up.

Good luck!

--G