Stay 1

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1300AE

Reaction score
Hello fellas,

I am fixing my 2008 FJR1300AE after I dropped it on my driveway. The same old rolling off the side stand accident. Anyway, RacinRay was very helpful to me before. Great guy. Would you fellas be so kind as to point out if #27 Stay 1 is the part that support both mirrors and make them line up? No matter what we do the mirror will no longer look aligned.

https://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/2008/FJR1300AE%20%28DARK%20GRAYISH%20METALLIC%20G%29%20-%20FJR13AEXS/COWLING%201/parts.html

Thanks in advance,

Newt.

Yes, you are correct. That is the part you need to replace. It's going to be a total bitch to do that. Time consuming and an exercise in patience with all the routing of the wiring you will have to do. You may need to buy some new wiring loom mounting gizmos. Maybe not.

I always just bend mind back to 'close enough' and call it good. Not near the frustration level to do that. Especially after you drop it again!

I always just bend mind back to 'close enough' and call it good.
^+1

With the fairing off, a good set square and small ruler, and some improvised tools, you might want to try the 'bend back' method.

Unless the thing is really badly mauled, you may be able to get it aligned. A final check will be if the fairing mirror slots line up easily.

The mirror mounts are pretty soft steel, and can take quite a bit of abuse, yet still be forced back into proper position

Good luck

Unless the stay is busted completely, make yourself the improvised tools and tweak away. Might take a couple times to get the angle right, but much simpler than changing out the assembly.

Good luck!

--G

Thank you very much for the tech. support. The tool idea seems great. It's a pretty creative idea not to mention a huge saving. I'm trying to keep the expending as low as possible. Gary (Garauld) fixed my mirror and saddle bag. He did a wonderful job as usual. You guys have a great week.

Newt.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 Bend away.
weight_lift.gif

If you decide to replace the front stay, please do not throw away your old one. Someone on this forum was nice enough to sell me a repaired front stay for my bike after my crash for a very small fraction of what they cost new. You will have an opportunity to do the same, unfortunately.

Cheers.

I made a tool out of a piece of aluminium bar, two holes drilled to suit the mirror mounting holes, then two nuts and bolts.(Click on image for larger view)

(Necessitated by an unfortunate dose of wind.)
Left over length of 2 x 4 with the mentioned nuts and bolts works also. My version of the mirror straightening tool hangs on the wall with other tools.

I made a tool out of a piece of aluminium bar, two holes drilled to suit the mirror mounting holes, then two nuts and bolts.

(Click on image for larger view)

(Necessitated by an unfortunate dose of wind.)
Left over length of 2 x 4 with the mentioned nuts and bolts works also. My version of the mirror straightening tool hangs on the wall with other tools.
Had I known how easily it straightened, I would have used a piece of wood.

As for keeping yours hung on the wall, I hope you don't need to use it on a regular basis
mda.gif

Last edited by a moderator: