Steep, Crooked, and the Shiny Side Up

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dan - click on the ride route for Saturday and Sunday. Very good all around. After you have had a chance to look at it, send me a PM and I'll give you some more info.

Since you guys had such a crappy time in the Ozarks I guess you'll have to go back in September for SFO!
flirt.gif

As usual, thanks for the most excellent report Pants! One day I'm gonna strap my camping gear on the old girl and do my best to live down to the standards you have set. You definitely have mastered the art of motocamping! BTW, I have a cousin who echos your sentiments on the Army Corp of Engineers campgrounds. She says they are always clean, quiet and in some of the most serene settings. Motocamping in an ACOE campground is now officially on my to do list for a ride this summer. Thanks for the inspiration!

I am really enjoying your ride reports. Took your advice and read the 9th state one and it has me looking forward to heading up that way when I have time off. Your writing makes me want to try out motorcycle camping. Nothing I will do alone though so it will have to wait until I find some like minded bikers around here. I lived in your neck of the woods as a young man fresh out of tech school back in 83-84.

Eh. I agree camping by your self is not the greatest, but I really enjoyed the solitude in the evenings. I think I was just ready for some alone time at that point in my life. Watch out for rabbits and don't throw your keys in the fire!

Bandit - do try moto-camping soon and tell us how you like it. The ACOE campgrounds are fantastic. They are not well advertised, either on the web nor by road side signs. You almost have to know where they are ahead of time.

W2R - your reply is a major reason why I write ride reports. I want to encourage any of you to try bigger adventures on your motorcycle. It doesn't have to be camping, but whatever it is, it should NOT be planned. The "unknowing" is the essence of the adventure. Because your mind doesn't have to concentrate on the logistics of the plan, it is free to wander and enjoy the world and the ride. You are able to stop whenever and wherever you want without consideration to study that overlook, take a walk down that inviting trail, check out the museum or flea market, or whatever catches your eye. Inevitably in my experience, these "things" always appear on the road without warning. No website or blog can ever tell you everything you will see. As a person who has lived most of his life in a box, I find this part of the tour mentally and emotionally refreshing. I spend my whole life in the details. For this ride, I don't have to think. It's uplifting and restful to be sure.

Camping just adds a 4th dimension to the idea. Now we don't have to have hotel reservations because we carry the house with us. We can stop and rest NOW if we want to. I can't eat even the BEST restaurant food for more than a few days straight. After a while, it all starts to taste the same and invariably, in some fashion of the other, it's all bad for you. I love to cook dinner on an open fire. An added benefit to this is we can have a couple of cocktails before dinner and not worry about riding to the restaurant, which is inevitably a good distance away from a forested campground, where the deer and the antelope play in the evenings.

Poolboy - I have quite a dilemma. I can't find that Templeton's Rye Whiskey anywhere in Lafayette. Admittedly, I haven't checked all of the prime suspects. I may have to strike an import deal with the great people of Omaha. Stay tuned....

Last edited by a moderator: