Suspension Set-up

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turning 50 has taken its toll :dribble: ....so if someone reminds me I can show them so neat tweeks :blink: .....

Turning 50 has taken its toll :dribble: ....so if someone reminds me I can show them so neat tweeks :blink: .....
Thanks, but my SO says that I tweek her just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would be happy to advise and alter suspension settings based on your weight, riding style, normal luggage load, and typical road conditions you ride.

I's a-bee gittin' purty goodat 'justin sispencion!

'cept I'll be busy tuning throttle bodies. If you are in my TB sync bay and want your suspension tuned, speak up. Then you can go out for a short spin, come back, and provide feedback for finer tuning before the real riding on Saturday.

yamaholic - I was hoping someone with experience with actually suspension settings would fess up. As to the time to do this, Lorie and I are headed out fairly early Friday AM (right!) so should be there early afternoon Friday. I don't know what the time is for the TBS clinic, but we could add on to that, or start earlier. Since a good part of this is just lifting/pushing and measuring, the only "gear" needed is a tape measure, weak mind, and strong back. I've got a "SAG Master" tape from the Total Control class and will copy the SAG worksheet from the TC Book so folks can have a record of their start point. If you have the smarts to actually advise people on suggested settings, then we're good to go.

Note - Lorie and I are going to the Bluegrass concert Fri night so will have to bail out around 1830 or so.

I'm now in and look forward to being there.

Does this mean I need to actually wash Feejer? He knows rain well, but is not used to soap.

I'd like to help and take part in the TBS and suspension stuff. Would it be worth bringing a form-like checklist to hand to participants, so tanks are already lifted, and there are basic suspension data before starting?

Bob

Sure, in fact we could post them so folks could have them beforehand.

And no, you don't need to wash Feejer, unless you want to!

I have played around with my suspension settings but I have no idea what the sag is and I'm sure there's room for improvement overall.

The short answer: I'm in.

To be honest, sag settings are nice to know, but in the end, they are just for reference. They can also vary greatly from test to test depending on the condition of your shock, friction in the linkage/pivots, stiction in the fork legs, and the condition of the oil. Actual settings are going to be unique for the rider. I like my rear ride height higher (just opened myself up on that one) than others to keep weight on the front wheel. I find it is more agile and leans over quicker, as I can sometimes get a little squidly on twisty roads and want the bike tuned for the condition when I need the best settings the most. However, I'm aware that my front tire may wash out quicker than if the rear was lower. That's OK, I know that so don't overtax them with too much brake in turns.

Others may ride primary straight roads and at sedate pace, which you would want a better balance than I use and definitely less compression and maybe more rebound.

No matter the setting, it a compromise. Softer touring settings don't work well on the twisties, yet you may want them there if most of the time you aren't tearing it up like Valentino Rossi or have a sore back/tailbone.

Also, remember there is preload and compression settings, which make a big difference in riding quality, handling, safety, etc. Again, some may want softer settings than others.

This is why you can't just put them where a magazine tells you to. I change my settings if I switch between naked/squidly and group touring. Different requirements, different settings. Always bring a flathead and 17mm open wrench with me on rides.

Since a good part of this is just lifting/pushing and measuring, the only "gear" needed is a tape measure, weak mind, and strong back.
Actually a good part of it will me asking you a lot of questions, making adjustments based on your answers, you riding the bike, and coming back to tell me what you do and don't like about it. :drinks: Then another tweak and back out for feedback. It's not like the FJR has a fully adjustable preload on the shock to keep us guessing.

Read this guys.

https://www.gostar-racing.com/club/motorcyc...ion_set-up.htmo

Hopefully I can help to get you where you need to be faster, and educate so you can fine tune later, and speak intelligently to a future pro tuner when you need to go beyond clickers and into the right springs, the right oil and oil height, and an aftermarket shock.

Jim, I doubt it will earlier than the TBS clinic. I'll be lucky to get back the hotel by 4 as it is. Afterall, it will be prime riding time :)

My suspension expertise is always available. Hell I'm full of... advice! But I am attending EOM to do some serious riding time.

IMHO, anyone looking to do suspension evaluations should have their forks serviced before doing anything further. If you have not changed the fork oil within the last 20,000 miles or one year, then IMO you are wasting your time tweaking anything else. The fork service is WAY too often overlooked.

I would definitely be interested in this. I have been wanting to fine tune my suspension for a long time but have just procrastinated to take the time to do so.

I’m glad so many folks have shown interest and we have a couple of knowledgeable suspension guys who have joined in. I think suspension stuff is one of those things that are really not all that difficult to understand, but it has that “mystical” aura; kind of like electricity!

I reread the suspension part of Total Control and the notes I got from the class. I also read yamaholics link – a good read. My suspension “work” has been limited. At the Total Control class I had my “measurements” done. I think that’s a good place to start as it can show you if you can, in fact, even reach the “recommended” suspension settings for the FJR with what you have on board.

In my case, my front sag was 58mm. I’ve read that the recommended sag for street bikes (I take that as Sport bikes) is 30 – 35, and I’ve been told that for sport touring bikes 35 – 40mm is good. There was no way I could reach that sag with the springs I had. BTW, stock suspension roughly 1 year old. So, always willing to wrench and learn more about the FJR, I replaced the front springs (didn’t want to spend a small fortune so I took the cheapest route that would make a difference). I used the RaceTech springs with a 1.1kg rate (I think the stock Gen I is either 6.5 or so; maybe a little higher).

I used the rate calculator on the Race Tech site and came up with the 1.1 (actually it was closer to 1.2) – the highest spring rate specifically for the FJR was .9, so I bought a single rate spring not specifically designed for the FJR. Much more stout and longer than stock. Also presented a challenge in that the single rate spring is a constant diameter and the progressive rate (OEM) is thinner at the ends. If anyone is interested I posted my experiences (read trials and tribulations) with this last year.

I’m anxious to get my numbers because with my penultimate spacer cutting I had a sag of around 30mm, too little. I cut one more time, didn’t measure sag, and frankly got used to what I have! I “think” I’m around 35, but will be glad to verify.

I’m looking forward to some suspension education at EOM – we just need to figure out where, time wise, to put it!

If you have an aftermarket shock. bring the adjustment tool (little bent rod thingy) that came with your shock. I don't know if one tool would work on all brands of shocks.

I'm in on this :)

Took friday off of work I should be there in the late morning or early afternoon....isn't that about the same time? :p

Don't know how or when this will shake out, but I have 41 copies of the measurement guide from Lee Parks' Total Control book for whomever needs one.

If you have an aftermarket shock. bring the adjustment tool (little bent rod thingy) that came with your shock. I don't know if one tool would work on all brands of shocks.
That's for adjusting the shock? I thought it was just to help line up the holes so you could get the bolt thru. ... really. (worked well for that purpose)

Would be happy to advise and alter suspension settings based on your weight, riding style, normal luggage load, and typical road conditions you ride.
I's a-bee gittin' purty goodat 'justin sispencion!

'cept I'll be busy tuning throttle bodies. If you are in my TB sync bay and want your suspension tuned, speak up. Then you can go out for a short spin, come back, and provide feedback for finer tuning before the real riding on Saturday.