Suspension Setup

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

f1fan

Reaction score
Yesterday I adjusted my bikes suspension to some recommended setting that were posted somewhere else. I adjusted the settings just to get a reference point and work from a base. I didn't think I would feel too much of a difference. Man, I was wrong. The bike handles so much better in the turns now. It's rock solid and much easier to turn. The increased stability is phenomenal. I felt a difference right when I pulled out of my driveway. I regret not adjusting the suspension earlier.

I am 5'11" and ~210 lbs

Here are the settings that I used. ( Keep in mind that those settings are my preference, you need to adjust them to your riding style and likings).

Front:

Preload: 2 lines showing

Rebound: 4 clicks out from full stiff

Compression: 7 clicks out from full stiff

Rear:

Preload: Hard

Rebound: 3 clicks out from full stiff

f1fan

Thanks for the tip, I am 6'0" 235

I am going to try your recommendations to see how it feels.

I have yet to set my adjustments from the factory settings, but it felt O.K so I left it alone.

Thanks again

f1fan,

you ought to give an aftermarket shock a serious thought ;) .

Back in the EZ Board days, on a galaxy far far away, Jedi Knight Warchild set up a group buy for Wilbers shocks and fork springs.

While I cannot but agree with you that a proper suspension set-up makes a world of difference, once you have that Wilbers baby in place AND everything fine-tuned to your riding needs you're on a different bike.

I especially loved the Wilbers adjustable ride height option. You lift the rear of the bike up a tad and you have a kurve-killer :ph34r:

Stef

Good informative post..thanks!

I'm just a little guy (175 lbs), so I guess I'd go a couple clicks less stiff on the settings.

Yeah, I bet with a different set of shocks you could tranform that baby to ueber-performance.

I did read about the Wilbers shock on the other forum but didn't give it much thought until now. How many $$ are we talking about. Maybe I need to talk to my finance minister.

Btw, Stef is that you, Stefano from Italy?

I love the new forum. B)

Yessir, that's me, the Italian scallion :rolleyes:

Nice to meet you here F1fan.

The Group Buy being over, I don't know what the RRP of the basic Wilbers 641 is (I reckon maybe $750), plus you will want the remote preload option (roughly another $200) and $100 for the adjustable ride height.

That was a helluva bargain we had... :D

Stef aka Teerex51

Last edited by a moderator:
How far (in degrees?) does the rebound damping knob turn per click? I'm not hearing any clicking after turning a small-ish amount (maybe 30 degrees?)

The rebound damping adjustment is the (18mm? knob-with-two-flat-edges) at bottom of the fork, outside of the compression damping screw, right?

btw: I now see why these spacers are so popular. With the rear preload on hard, I'm getting about 40mm of rider sag, and that's with my skinny-assed 155lb frame and no gear! How the heck do you 200lb guys set this??

The rebound damping adjustment is the (18mm? knob-with-two-flat-edges) at bottom of the fork, outside of the compression damping screw, right?
In looking further (w/ the service manual), I see that I'm sadly mistaken (and glad I stopped before turning too much). I better tighten that other part up. :(

It looks like it's the damper rod assembly bolt, tighten to 25ft-lbs?

Last edited by a moderator:
those settings you are using are what they suggested in the current "Sport Rider" magazine where they tested an FJR, ST1300 and ZZR1100.

I started with those but backed off a couple of clicks because I am only 143 pounds so they were a little "stiff" for my weight. But, they were an improvement.

Are you asking and answering your own questions? :huh:
Sort of stream-of-conciousness there, eh?

Anyway, could someone confirm my suspicion that it was the damper-rod-assembly-bolt, and that it's just tighten normally (although, reverse threaded, IIRC - not by bike now) to 25 ft-lbs.

Also, I'm still curious as to how people set less than 40mm of rider sag with the stock shock if they weigh anything over 180lbs.

Teerex, I have no doubt that the shock will make an improvement but gee, I don't know if I would get $1K worth of enjoyment out of a new shock. I am not taking that bike on the track or anything. For right now the new suspension setting will do and I am waiting to receive my superbrace back with the mod.

So, that shock farkle will have to wait.

And yes, those settings were posted on another forum, which referred back to an article in the sport Rider mag.

Hey, they work for me and my 210 lbs.

If I loose some weight (and that is my intention) I will have to back of a few clicks.

Woodstock, I almost made the same mistake as you and tried to turn the assembly. However, after checking the manual I noticed quick enough that this was not the right screw.

Here's a tip get a friend who has much more experience than yo do, someone who can really ride, get him/her (yeah right!) :D to take the feejer for a squirt and listen to the feedback. I did this just recently and my mate was quite happy with the stock set up on the FJR surprised in fact.

Also, I'm still curious as to how people set less than 40mm of rider sag with the stock shock if they weigh anything over 180lbs.
the spring spacers that are sold mechanically add preload

the spring spacers that are sold mechanically add preload
Right, it just seems like to set up a suspension anywhere near "correct", everyone would need a spacer (i.e. why is the stock one so loose)?

f1Fan - what year is your bike? I couldn't find it in your sig or profile. I read that the 03 and 04 have different springs, and people could get confused trying to copy your recommended settings ;-)

I would be curious also cuz I have the same specs. 5 11 210lbs. I really haven't

spearminted with the settings cuz the bike rides and handles fine but I might try adjusting different things if it makes that big a difference.

Ride Safe

Larry

Also, I'm still curious as to how people set less than 40mm of rider sag with the stock shock if they weigh anything over 180lbs

Woodstock,

I set my Wilbers shock up to about 33mm of sag. I weigh around 215# dressed for riding. I have the 95 spring on it and am thinking of going a little stiffer. MY preload adjuster is almost bottomed out with that setup.

Rick