Tank Bag

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tesla

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]I always assumed that after selling my last bike with the tank bag that I would be buying another tank bag for the FJR but after riding it now for a while without one, I'm starting to reconsider. It's nice to not have to lug it around with me when we stop to eat or bathroom breaks. I do miss having everything easily accessible even while riding, however, we seemed to have adapted to riding without one. We have a big trip planned and it would be nice to have one for the camera, pistol, charger for the phone, etc. What do you guys do with your tank bag at stops? Shove into the saddlebag or topcase? Lug it around with you? Leave it on the bike? On our trip, if we fill our saddlebags and topcase with stuff, we will not have the option of shoving the tank bag in there. What say you?[/SIZE]

Bfst, lunch, and supper stops it stays on the tank, when we get to the motel it comes in. I have several wires coming in and out of mine for GPS and Starcom and radio and radar detector, so it looks like it is 'connected.' And I try to park where it is visible from inside the establishment.

Depends on the location mostly. I usually leave it on the bike except at night, when I un-plug the wiring and take it into the room. In big cities or 'hoods where I don't feel it is safe, I park where I can keep an eye on it, or take it off and bring it in. Mostly, it stays on the bike. I will remove iPod and cell phone, the rest stays in the bag.

I use a smaller magnetic tank bag for cell phone, camera, ipod, maps, ppk, gps and other small but expensive items. It goes with me whenever I stop and can't watch the bike like for a restroom break. OBD

Same here, mostly stays on the bike, but i do try to park such that the bike is in sight. I will also though my jacket over to cover up the tankbag and my accessories, the logic being that if nothing "attractive" is visible people will be less inclined to "dig" around looking for something to take. I also have a Scorpio alarm which has a proximity sensor, so if someone did try to snoop around the bike, under my jacket the alarm would go off to alert me. All the stuff comes off over night or if the place is far away from the bike parking. For the same logic i also use a half-cover for night time parking in motels with the alarm on to alert me if someone gets too interested in looking under the cover.

Ideally I'd like to have flame throwers or at least a big-ass electric shocker or stun gun type thing if anyone starts touching the bike, unfortunately most places don't think this is appropriate :unsure:

If you're intent on leaving the bag on there are options available from companies like packsafe that have bags which are slash proof and can be secured to the bike.

My problem is that I want one of those expensive electrified Bags Connection from Twisted Throttle for "only" $283.00 with shipping. The bag may be worth more than the contents.

Bfst, lunch, and supper stops it stays on the tank, when we get to the motel it comes in. I have several wires coming in and out of mine for GPS and Starcom and radio and radar detector, so it looks like it is 'connected.' And I try to park where it is visible from inside the establishment.
+1. Bag only comes off at night.

And I do not keep anything really valuable in my tank bag during even the briefest of stops.

Camera, Zumo GPS, Crackberry and Radar detector all get stashed in a locked hard bag or jacket pocket.

I don't carry a firearm, but that would be an even bigger concern.

My problem is that I want one of those expensive electrified Bags Connection from Twisted Throttle for "only" $283.00 with shipping. The bag may be worth more than the contents.
Make your own for much less $$

Last edited by a moderator:
Just out of curiosity: why do you put your pistol in your tank bag? Why not just wear it in a holster? Or are you wearing full leathers?

Just out of curiosity: why do you put your pistol in your tank bag? Why not just wear it in a holster? Or are you wearing full leathers?
+1

Shoulder holster would be nice I would think, also check the carry laws for the states you're entering. Might be safer to stow it in one of the cases rather than a tank bag.

For daily use I use a Joe Rocket Manta bag and throw it in one of the cases if I stop somewhere. For longer trips with a larger bag, it stays on the bike with only clothing in it.

My gun expert friend keeps his in the bag and I just assumed that was the best place. Would it be uncomfortable in the holster while riding for extended lengths of time? What about the gun causing injury if you went down while you were wearing it?

<snip> I don't carry a firearm, but that would be an even bigger concern.
I had this very naive woman co-worker some years back. She told about a party they'd had over the weekend, and her brother discovering his car trunk had been broken into during the evening. He immediately called the police to report it, and seemed (to her) especially upset about a "nine millimeter" that was among the lost loot. She was so puzzled by this that she asked him afterwards, "With all the damage he did and the other losses, why are you so upset over the loss of your camera?" :lol:

My gun expert friend keeps his in the bag and I just assumed that was the best place. Would it be uncomfortable in the holster while riding for extended lengths of time? What about the gun causing injury if you went down while you were wearing it?
That's a good point. I just choose not to think about that. As far as comfort, I carry using an in waist band holster and I can wear it all day with no issues. I have even worn it while playing the drums and hardly notice it's there. Of course if this is your sidearm, you mileage will definitely vary. :D

big-gun01-780368-300x210.jpg

I keep mine in the tank bag due to injury concerns in a get off with it attached to my hip. It usually resides in my tankbag. I'm still having a problem finding a shoulder holster that will fit me properly, but that also gives me concerns over broken ribs or the such. I figure it would be just as easy to carry the tang bag in with me. Sometimes I have dropped it in the inside chest pocket of my ICON vest or my riding suit.

It depends on the size of the carry. Many jackets have inside breast pockets but will not hold a cannon. Several small 9mms & airweight 38s S&Ws are handy.

Okay, I have a question about marking up the tank. I bought a Rapid Transit Recon 19 and really like it. Putting those super strong magnets on and taking them off the tank will probably scar up my tank. Any ideas on what you guys do? My bike isn't perfect and it is used, but I want to keep it in the very best condition possible.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Make your own for much less $$
The extra cost to electrify the bag is $65.00 but this doesn't include ports inside the bag. How much could I save?

Just off the cuff, you could electrify your own tank bag for about $10-15. All you really need is one of the 3-port cigarette lighter extension cords from Wally World or Auto Zone. Cut the male cigarette plug end off of it, stick on a powerlet connector or an SAE plug and then make an exit hole in the bag at a strategic location. You'll need the exit hole for your electronic audio cords and such anyway.

Where you'd really save $$ is in the bag itself. You can get a pretty nice, smaller tank bag for well less than $100. Take a look here: New Enough Since the primary idea is to carry your electronics in it, and only a few incidentals, you really don't want a great big bag anyway.

The one I am using on my VFR is a Yamaha Accessories magnetic mount, mini tank bag that I scored in the "Pay It Forward" thread. I can't remember what exactly I paid forward but, whatever it was, I wasn't using it any more. ;)

Okay, I have a question about marking up the tank. I bought a Rapid Transit Recon 19 and really like it. Putting those super strong magnets on and taking them off the tank will probably scar up my tank. Any ideas on what you guys do? My bike isn't perfect and it is used, but I want to keep it in the very best condition possible.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread.

You can put one of those clear tankslapper protection kits over your tank.

Or you can just figure it will get scratched eventually, be fairly careful when putting it on and off, and just not worry about it.