TBS question on 08

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now back to our regularly scheduled program..............

Ok, I got out in the garage and hooked up the vacuum gauge again. The #3 cylinder screw was 3/4 out from the bottom. So, I slowly turned it out till I heard any difference. I stopped at 1 1/2 turns out. I then set the others to the same amount of turns out and checked the gauge after the engine had warmed. None were really that far apart from each other so I synced them all to #3. I looked at the tach and what do you know.. right around 1,000 to 1,100 rpm. I turned the idle adjuster in a little till the rpm dropped some, then turned it back till it was back to a little over 1,000 rpm. It seems ok, but my question is, did I do the right thing and is it all right to leave it where it is? I'm not sure how much is too much for opening the bypass screws.

Sounds like you should be OK now. I still don't like it that you are maxed out on the idle adjust screw, but as long as you have an idle of 1100 and the four bodies vacuums balanced, you are in fat city.

FredW, I don't think he's maxxed out on the screws. At roughly 1-1/2 turns he's got at least another full turn to go. IIRC, they start losing effectiveness at roughly 3 turns CCW, like most any other air screw adjustment.

I had to do the same thing on my '07 at some point around 50,000 miles I think it was. The mechanics of the throttle bodies seem to have a "seating effect" where they take time to settle in, then they just stay put.

FredW, I don't think he's maxxed out on the screws. At roughly 1-1/2 turns he's got at least another full turn to go. IIRC, they start losing effectiveness at roughly 3 turns CCW, like most any other air screw adjustment.
I had to do the same thing on my '07 at some point around 50,000 miles I think it was. The mechanics of the throttle bodies seem to have a "seating effect" where they take time to settle in, then they just stay put.
First of all, thanks again for the replies guys. Jeff, I think Fred was talking about the idle adjustment thumb screw being maxxed out. It's down on the right side between the fairing and the engine. It is turned almost all the way out to get the idle up to where it is now. Probably about 97% out.

GP

yeah, I was. But Jeff's answer is right too. I still think you could get yourself into the middle of the idle adjustment range by diddling with the air pots if you were so inclined. It is probably OK where it is now. I just like to have the abilioty to up the idle should I need to. And I definitely prefer to keep the idle up at 1100 rpm (no lower)

yeah, I was. But Jeff's answer is right too. I still think you could get yourself into the middle of the idle adjustment range by diddling with the air pots if you were so inclined. It is probably OK where it is now. I just like to have the abilioty to up the idle should I need to. And I definitely prefer to keep the idle up at 1100 rpm (no lower)
Agreed. I've still got the tank up with the sync gauge hooked up so I may open them just a little more and see what happens. I can always bring them back down. Jeff said I've got roughly 3 turns CCW before the adustments start being ineffective.

GP

Well, I opened the #3 screw, a little more, to 2 turns out from closed and synced the others to it. Didn't seem to bring the idle up any more. Also did the Barbarian Jumper. I buttoned it up last night and rode to work this morning. Seems to be running fine and idling at 1,100 rpm. Is it correct to leave the wire, that was moved on the Barbarian, in the hole it was moved to or move it back after you are finished? The instructions for Gen II don't tell you that, so I'm assuming it's ok to leave it like it is after the move.

GP

First of all, thanks again for the replies guys. Jeff, I think Fred was talking about the idle adjustment thumb screw being maxxed out. It's down on the right side between the fairing and the engine. It is turned almost all the way out to get the idle up to where it is now. Probably about 97% out.

?? :blink: :blink: ??

Maybe I'm missing something, or the Gen II has a left-handed thread on the idle adjuster behind the right cowling, but on my Gen I you screw the idle adjuster IN, not OUT to get the idle to increase. The "turned almost all the way out to get the idle up to where it is now" is confusing the hell outa me.

BTW, you do NOT want to "accidentally" screw the adjuster all the way out....rethreading the adjuster in to the throttle body is something you don't want to have to do. I don't think it can be accomplished without removing the TBs.

?? :blink: :blink: ??

Maybe I'm missing something, or the Gen II has a left-handed thread on the idle adjuster behind the right cowling, but on my Gen I you screw the idle adjuster IN, not OUT to get the idle to increase. The "turned almost all the way out to get the idle up to where it is now" is confusing the hell outa me.

BTW, you do NOT want to "accidentally" screw the adjuster all the way out....rethreading the adjuster in to the throttle body is something you don't want to have to do. I don't think it can be accomplished without removing the TBs.
Well, hell. I guess I screwed the pooch on the wording there. I did turn it IN to increase the idle. Sorry about that. Hope it didn't cause any undue stress or confusion. :p But as far as the adjuster goes, when I had the tank up working on it, I took the idle adjuster apart to make sure it wasn't gummed up or something. It sits on top behind the throttle bodies and was fairly easy to access. I read a post where one of the guys on the forum was having an idling problem and took his apart and cleaned it. He thought it helped him, so I thought I'd try it. He explained how he did it, so I had a good idea of how to go at it. It wasn't bad, but you have a good point about not wanting to accidentally unscrew it while everything is buttoned up. That would not be good if you were out on a trip or away from the house when you did it.

GP :rolleyes:

Just the tech question I have been looking for too. I am having the same problems with my '07. I did the TBS at 8000 and all went well but after a while it would idle low also. I turned the idle up and it maxed out, made to 1000 rpms and that was it. I rechecked the TB's and they were low so I tried to reset them to and they bottomed out all the way to the right, still not where they need to be, no more adjustment left. Now I am worried, I can keep the idle at 1000 but it wants to stall out at stops till it warms up real well. It never did this before I did the first TBS. Could use some help ...........

Just the tech question I have been looking for too. I am having the same problems with my '07. I did the TBS at 8000 and all went well but after a while it would idle low also. I turned the idle up and it maxed out, made to 1000 rpms and that was it. I rechecked the TB's and they were low so I tried to reset them to and they bottomed out all the way to the right, still not where they need to be, no more adjustment left. Now I am worried, I can keep the idle at 1000 but it wants to stall out at stops till it warms up real well. It never did this before I did the first TBS. Could use some help ...........
Hound,

Stop trying to meet the absolute vacuum spec. That's whats screwing you up (most likely). It is insignificant.

Open all 4 of the air screws about 1.5 turns from (lightly) fully seated. Now adjust the idle to aprox. 1000-1100 rpm. Balance the 3 other TBs to #3. Readjust the idle to 1100 if you can. Don't worry what your gauge says that vacuum is. You didn't send it in for calibration so it's probably off anyway.

All of this is assuming that you didn't play with the screws that adjust the throttle plates. If you did, you'll need to get those properly realigned first. There's a thread going on with alekso where we are discussing how to do that easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Fred W! I will try this later today and let you know the results. I am just trying to save some money and learn a few things along the way. Love this bike so much I want to keep it forever.