Tell me we can't run with the sport bikes....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjsC6

Reaction score
Just had to share this. On my way home from a 380 mile ride today, I was on one of my favorite roads that I know the curves like the proverbial back of my hand. I was coming up on a set of four fast 90 degree sweepers that I come into at about 80, apex at about 95 and around 100 as I come out of the curve. As I was about 1/3 mile from the first curve, I see a guy weaving to heat up his tires. Hmmmmm..... so I accelerate up and am about 50 feet behind him as we enter the first curve. He's hanging off - and I'm holding my ground through the curves.

After the first two, there is straight about 1/2 mile long before the next two. We are coming up on two cars - I am right on top of him - finally he goes to pass them. I'm on the gas hard in third gear and practially pushing him around the cars. Into the next left hander still hanging with him, and now coming up on my favorite of them all. On this last curve, I've been scraping my pegs at about 100 the last few months - a fairly long 90 degree sweeper. I'm right with him. As we straigten out - now done with the curves, he slows down (as I was to find out, he was waiting for me to pass him so he could turn and go back). As I go by him, I see it's a Ducati 1098.

Now, I'm not stupid - I know the bike is capable of putting some distance on me. But in his hands today, and the FJR in my hands, I hung with him even though he was diligently heating up his tires and hanging off. Have I told ya'll lately how much I love the FJR? BTW, turned over 30,000 miles in two hand a half years last weekend - all pleasure riding!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah....the FJR is a capable bike and like I've said to many people, a scaple in the right hands will do some pretty carving. However.......

100+ on a public road.....isn't that special. And dogging, I mean "pushing" (as you said) the crap outta some guy. Well that's just special too. Sorry - you don't impress me. Let's go to a race track and let me put you on the clock - then you'll impress me.

Sorry for being harsh, but I have never appreciated when some jackass comes flying up behind me and then plants himself in my review mirror. Ever considered what would happen if I missed a shift or whatever and you pile into the back of me?? 100+ on a public road doesn't leave much in reserve. I'm not the fastest out there, but I sure as hell can hold my own. You wanna go fast - have at it. But show me some respect and allow me to let you by. But run up on my ass and then "push" me and we have a problem.

Yeah....the FJR is a capable bike and like I've said to many people, a scaple in the right hands will do some pretty carving. However.......
100+ on a public road.....isn't that special. And dogging, I mean "pushing" (as you said) the crap outta some guy. Well that's just special too. Sorry - you don't impress me. Let's go to a race track and let me put you on the clock - then you'll impress me.

Sorry for being harsh, but I have never appreciated when some jackass comes flying up behind me and then plants himself in my review mirror. Ever considered what would happen if I missed a shift or whatever and you pile into the back of me?? 100+ on a public road doesn't leave much in reserve. I'm not the fastest out there, but I sure as hell can hold my own. You wanna go fast - have at it. But show me some respect and allow me to let you by. But run up on my ass and then "push" me and we have a problem.
Tom fess up.............. :p

was that you on the Duc

was that you on the Duc
I was going to pass on this...but I can't.

I agree with Tom. I used to road race for a number of years and teach the MSF courses. It never ceases to amaze me how riders want to gage their riding skills by "out performing" someone else on a PUBLIC road. :angry2:

Things you should consider: #1 this may have been the first time the other rider has seen that part of the road. #2 maybe he was the smarter of the two of you and was not going to test the limits of his bike since he did not know the road conditions that were ahead of him. #3 there is no way an FJR is going to hang with a sport bike in the corners if the sportbike rider is actually running the machine to near capability. #4 there is always someone who is faster (unless you are Rossi). #5 he may not have had the proper gear on to push the limits. #6 he may of been a road racer and knows there is no way that he is going to push the limits of his machine of skills on the street and secretly was laughing at you for doing so.

Sounds to me the sport bike rider was the one who was keeping his riding in check and you were taking way too many risks for the both of you. He was riding his ride within his capability and well within his bike's limits. :clapping:

Don't take this the wrong way, I do go out and run the FJR to it's limits from time to time, But I NEVER put someone else in jeopardy as Tom pointed out so well.

Stepping down from my soap box now... :glare:

I have to agree with Tom. You didnt even know the guy (know his abilities) in fron of you. lucky you both didnt get hurt. Not saying I dont use warp drive technology, jus sayin.... there are consequences for bad choices.

And by the way, the FJR is a lot of fun but it is no sport bike. if the guy you were chasin on the 1098 was "hanging off" and you were keeping up with him you were a lot closer to the limit of your bike all else being equal. I would say that he was probably riding much more safely than you, much more room for error and the unexpected.

Just use your head is all I'm sayin

-k

was that you on the Duc
I was going to pass on this...but I can't.

I agree with Tom. I used to road race for a number of years and teach the MSF courses. It never ceases to amaze me how riders want to gage their riding skills by "out performing" someone else on a PUBLIC road. :angry2:

Things you should consider: #1 this may have been the first time the other rider has seen that part of the road. #2 maybe he was the smarter of the two of you and was not going to test the limits of his bike since he did not know the road conditions that were ahead of him. #3 there is no way an FJR is going to hang with a sport bike in the corners if the sportbike rider is actually running the machine to near capability. #4 there is always someone who is faster (unless you are Rossi). #5 he may not have had the proper gear on to push the limits. #6 he may of been a road racer and knows there is no way that he is going to push the limits of his machine of skills on the street and secretly was laughing at you for doing so.

Sounds to me the sport bike rider was the one who was keeping his riding in check and you were taking way too many risks for the both of you. He was riding his ride within his capability and well within his bike's limits. :clapping:

Don't take this the wrong way, I do go out and run the FJR to it's limits from time to time, But I NEVER put someone else in jeopardy as Tom pointed out so well.

Stepping down from my soap box now... :glare:
Very well said Auburn & Tom :drinks:

I wish everyone would put their age,in their bio's!

I like to try and guess the age of the person/versus thread,then check the bio to see how close I am.

+1 El Torro

First of all, I was not trying to impress - just a fun story. Honestly, I can understand how you took it that way. Also, I think you took my comments a little too literally. I did not do anything that would have threatened the safety of the other guy. People who ride with me know that I'm actually very careful. In fact, while we were in the curves, I was probably a good 150 feet behind him - sorry if you took my statements the wrong way when I said I was right on top of him. I understand that at 100 mph 150 feet is close enough for someone I don't know.

AS to going to the race track - I did that 25 years ago. I have three plaques from the AMA. I finished in the top three in the country in the AMA amateur points points standings in three different classes the only full year I raced (1982) on a 750 Honda. Not that I'm trying to impress you - but you brought it up.

As to ya'll who think I was trying to out ride him - I was not. I never made any attempt to outride him or get around him. Just some good natured fun. Some of ya'll are giving me a hard time telling me he has a faster bike but was being more careful than me - go back and read my first post - I admitted that his bike is faster. I also stated that I ride that road all the time and know it very well (I was back out there again this morning in my Corvette).

Again, I'm not trying to impress. Anyone in the Houston area want to come ride with me will find that I don't try to impress anyone, and frankly, a lot of slower riders ride faster than me because I am very careful.

Sorry I posted - did not expect all the lectures. Oh - and about age - I'm about to turn 56 years old and have been riding since 1971.

Last edited by a moderator:

I have to agree with Tom. You didnt even know the guy (know his abilities) in fron of you. lucky you both didnt get hurt. Not saying I dont use warp drive technology, jus sayin.... there are consequences for bad choices.

And by the way, the FJR is a lot of fun but it is no sport bike. if the guy you were chasin on the 1098 was "hanging off" and you were keeping up with him you were a lot closer to the limit of your bike all else being equal. I would say that he was probably riding much more safely than you, much more room for error and the unexpected.

Just use your head is all I'm sayin

-k
To further add - I actually did not even touch the footpegs yesterday following him. I was actually not as close to my limits as I am when I'm by myself.

I'd give him a break. I think he was just trying to make 2 points:

1) The FJR is a capable bike.

2) Getting down the road is as much about the rider as the bike.

I remember back when I has the little Suzuki GS500. I was able to keep my speed through corners and on some very twisty roads, I would be faster than liter bikes. If you enter a corner at an appropriate angle, hit the apex, and accelerate out of it, you'll be faster than 80% of other riders no matter what machine you're on.

Sometimes I don't understand the mentality of this board.

A guy tells a little story about a ride he had and almost 50% of the replies are laying into him about doggin a Duc and how fast he was going on a public road.

Yet there are threads all over this board regarding ludicrus speed with few or no preachy replies.

A few examples:

Clicky 1

Clicky 2

Clicky3

Clicky 4

I would doubt that any of these posters attained these speeds "on a closed course".

Really, lighten up Francis, MYOB and get a trike you old farts. :rolleyes:

Oh and Monk69, 47.

Again, I'm not trying to impress. Anyone in the Houston area want to come ride with me will find that I don't try to impress anyone, and frankly, a lot of slower riders ride faster than me because I am very careful.
Sorry I posted - did not expect all the lectures. Oh - and about age - I'm about to turn 56 years old and have been riding since 1971.
Thx,for posting the age,and the full story.

Keep on posting though,just make sure you cover yourself from the "flack"(1-Intense adverse criticism.2-A slick spokesperson who can turn any criticism to the advantage of their own).

On my Beemer I had a plate which said "backmarker"(BKMRKR),kept me covered if I was losing.

I don't post very often, but I just have to jump in on this one.

I ride a lot with jjsC6 and he is an excellent experienced rider that doesn't take chances with his life or anyone elses. However, we both push the limits if the conditions are right (yes, even on public roads where I'm sure most of you exceed the speed limit from time to time as well). The thing that most of you don't know is that the road in the story is a country road with very light traffic well known to motorcyclists in the area. If a sport bike is out there, he is challanging the road and anyone that comes up behind him, otherwise the guy on the 1098 would have just slowed down and let jjsC6 pass. It's not like he was doing 100+ in heavy traffic weaving in and out like some squid--he was challanging a set of curves with good visibilty and no traffic--if there was an accident, it would only involve the rider--no danger to anyone else.

Like one poster said, just a fun story--some of you guys need to lighten up. This is a motorcycle forum and I, for one, enjoy interesting motorcycle anecdotes. If I want to be preached to, I'll go to church.

I'm 59 years old, have been riding since 1962, and I approved this message.

First of all, I was not trying to impress - just a fun story. Honestly, I can understand how you took it that way. Also, I think you took my comments a little too literally. I did not do anything that would have threatened the safety of the other guy. People who ride with me know that I'm actually very careful. In fact, while we were in the curves, I was probably a good 150 feet behind him - sorry if you took my statements the wrong way when I said I was right on top of him. I understand that at 100 mph 150 feet is close enough for someone I don't know.

AS to going to the race track - I did that 25 years ago. I have three plaques from the AMA. I finished in the top three in the country in the AMA amateur points points standings in three different classes the only full year I raced (1983) on a 750 Honda. Not that I'm trying to impress you - but you brought it up.

As to ya'll who think I was trying to out ride him - I was not. I never made any attempt to outride him or get around him. Just some good natured fun. Some of ya'll are giving me a hard time telling me he has a faster bike but was being more careful than me - go back and read my first post - I admitted that his bike is faster. I also stated that I ride that road all the time and know it very well (I was back out there again this morning in my Corvette).

they do love to lecture and put down

I don't post very often, but I just have to jump in on this one.
I ride a lot with jjsC6 and he is an excellent experienced rider that doesn't take chances with his life or anyone elses. However, we both push the limits if the conditions are right (yes, even on public roads where I'm sure most of you exceed the speed limit from time to time as well). The thing that most of you don't know is that the road in the story is a country road with very light traffic well known to motorcyclists in the area. If a sport bike is out there, he is challanging the road and anyone that comes up behind him, otherwise the guy on the 1098 would have just slowed down and let jjsC6 pass. It's not like he was doing 100+ in heavy traffic weaving in and out like some squid--he was challanging a set of curves with good visibilty and no traffic--if there was an accident, it would only involve the rider--no danger to anyone else.

Like one poster said, just a fun story--some of you guys need to lighten up. This is a motorcycle forum and I, for one, enjoy interesting motorcycle anecdotes. If I want to be preached to, I'll go to church.

I'm 59 years old, have been riding since 1962, and I approved this message.
Y'all must be part of that North side bunch, out west of Houston here we would never go over the speed limit.

Thanks for the nice replies after my rebuttal. For the record, I guess I can understand how some of ya'll took my first post. I should have been a little more clear, and no hard feelings for the lecture. I know they were all well-intended.

Thanks for jumping in Electric FJR. To say we ride together some would be an understatement. He and I have probably ridden 30,000 miles together in the last four years, including two trips to the Smokey Mountains and one to the Rockies. If anyone would be annoyed by my riding style it would be this guy!

Dennis - I live in the Clear Lake area and Electric is in town. We aren't much into group rides, we mostly ride alone - occassionally with one or two other guys we know. But nothing against you west-siders. I'm sure we've crossed paths somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.