The 2nd Annual Maine Chowdah Run

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Announcing, the Second Annual

2010_Chowder_run_icon.gif

Thursday May 19th through Sunday May 22nd 2011

Thursday May 19th

"It's all about the Chowder, baby!!"

We will be departing from the Kittery Dunkin Donuts , on Route 1 (just north of the Kittery Trading Post) at 10:00AM.

We're starting a little later in the AM to put us in better shape for the chowder tasting stops, and we should be late enough to miss the evening rush hour traffic when we roll through Portland. It'll also allow folks to visit the KTP before the ride if they want.

Intended stops along the route will be:

Nubble Lighthouse

Billy's Chowder House

Maine Diner

Alisson's Restaurant. (Lunch stop)

Clambake Restaurant

Lobster Shack at Two Lights

Portland Head Lighthouse

Alisson's Restaurant will be the actual, sit-down, lunch stop. And yes, we really will be stopping there this year!! ;)

The Petite Lobster Roll and cup of Chowder combo is very good. :thumbsup:

All of the other chowder stops (restaurants besides Alisson's) will be fairly brief stops. We'll try to just grab a cup of chowder to taste (or whatever else you want to try). The lighthouse stops will be primarily photo ops. We'll try to make each of these ~20 minute stops.

I've made arrangements for us to stay at the Best Western "Freeport Inn". The nightly rate is $69.99 (+ 7% tax) for either a single King bed or 2 Doubles room. Additionally, we will get a 15% off coupon for the Muddy Rudder restaurant, which is within easy walking (or stumbling) distance and part of their property.

They have two buildings located along the sides of the Cousins River. They have blocked off 20 rooms for us together in what they call their "Topside Building". They will also have a bike wash station available for us to use and all riders receive a Best Western Cleaning cloth upon check-in.

Please call the hotel directly to make your reservations at 800- 998-2583. The secret squirrel password is "FJR Forum Group" to get the discounted group rate.

Friday May 20th

"Coastal Sightseeing day - More miles, less filling."

Departing from the parking lot of The Freeport Inn at 7:30AM sharp!

Breakfast at Mae's Cafe and Bakery in Bath from ~8:00-9:00AM. For those joining the ride on Friday, meeting us here is an option.

Planned stops:

Boothbay Harbor

Pemaquid Point Lighthouse

Owl's Head Lighthouse

Rockland Cafe (lunch Stop)

Fort Point Lighthouse

Bar Harbor Motel

The Bar Harbor Motel has blocked out 20 rooms for us for this weekend at a group rate of $69 per night plus 7% tax. This is for rooms with 2 Double beds or a single King. If you want 2 Queen size beds or one of the 2 room suite it will be a little extra. Ask for the FJR Forum group rate when you call to make your reservations. Phone # 800-388-3453 or 207-288-3453. They will hold the blocked rooms until May 10th and if we exceed 20 rooms will honor the rate until sold out.

Let's plan on having dinner Friday night at the Jack Russell Steakhouse and Brewery. It's right next door to the Bar Harbor Motel, and they make their own beer!! When we get a little closer to the date I'll take a tally, and call ahead to warn them of our impending arrival. If that doesn't suit your fancy feel free to head on out and find something else in town. There are lot's and lots of other great choices.

Saturday & Sunday May 21s t/ 22nd

Acadia National Park

There are a whole lot of things to do and see in the park. I suggest that folks form their own plans for places they want to stop and just use the GPS route as a general guide. We used to bring the kids up and spend a full week vacation on the island every year, did that for several years running, and we never ran out of things to do and see. Note that there is a park access fee of $5 per person to use all of the park roads and facilities. It is possible to get around MDI without paying the park fee, but you can't go on the park loop roads.

I have a couple of short GPS routes pre-planned for the weekend. A loop around both sides of Mt Desert island for the morning and a short out and back loop to the section of Acadia on the north side of Frenchman's Bay on the Schoodic Peninsula. Those that have to make a run for home early may want to make their departure after a lunch stop at the Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound. :thumbsup:

I plan on stopping and taking the short hike up Gorham Mt. It's only a short hike and you get to some exceptionally breathtaking views for such a small investment in time. If you are interested in doing that be sure to bring along some shorts and "sensible shoes" as you won't want to walk up in riding gear. There are also a lot of other trails that are both longer, tougher and more strenuous trails or flatter and less challenging ones. Almost all result in spectacular photo opportunities.

A stop at the Jordan Pond House for pop-overs and tea is highly recommended. There is also a very nice little loop around the pond that can be walked there, or you can get onto the Carriage Trails system (bicycles or walking only), which is all fairly level for those not up for the cardio challenge of more vertical hikes.

No trip to MDI would be complete without a ride up Cadillac Mountain. The auto road is paved all the way up, but is fairly steep, and the view from the top cannot be beat on a clear day. A favorite thing to do is to ride up and park at one of the turn-outs along the road to watch the sunset.

Ride Routes

We will be following approximately the same routes that we did last year, with a few minor changes and a few less U-turns. Routes are available in two GPS formats, and plain old printable route sheets:

Chowder routes file in Gamin proprietary GDB Ver3 format

Chowder routes file in generic GPX format

Chowder routes in printable route sheet .PDF file (zipped)

(right click above link, save as, yadda yadda)

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, another miss for me. I'll be in West Kill, NY at a memorial service for an old friend.

Hmmmmm..... it's Victoria Day long weekend here and and and ..... I'm scheduled to work that weekend and and and ....it's usually difficult to suck someone into trading negotiate a trade for any weekend let along a long weekend and ......

.....so I'd better get my Leave Request in SOON ! :yahoo:

Sweet!! Seems we'll be seeing a lot of each other this season, MEM.

I always say you can't have too many redheaded table dancers around...

:)

Also, an update made (already!) to my first post as I've heard back from the Hotel of choice in Freeport. It'll be the Freeport Inn, which is affiliated with the Muddy Rudder Restaurant (mit Bah!). This will be real convenient, 'specially if we roll in a little late that evening.

Yeah, this is shaping up quite nicely...

So if I remember correctly this puts us a day ahead of last years ride? If this is the case it would give us two day up at Mount desert Island. Maybe my mind is still numb from the ride

to work this morning at 14 degrees. I will have hand warmers installed for the next years cold season!

Dave

This is the same dates as the Wheatie campout. Decisions, decisions. I'm going to have to think about this.

Hi Dave,

Yeah, I've set it up a day forward from last years ride, for a few reasons.

The first, and selfish one, is because I (we) have the need to get home on Sunday afternoon so I can fly out Sunday night for business.

The next one is because I think we'll make better time along RT 1, both days, when not on a weekend day.

The final is because I really do feel the best part opf this whole shebang is the time spent on Mt Desert Island and Acadia National Park (aka Bah Habah). Last year some folks made the trek up along the coast but didn't do much on the island. Hopefully, having the extra time on Saturday will get folks out and exploring (on foot and 2 wheels).

If people want (or need) a tour guide, I'll be glad to take you all around and show you the Acadia that I know and love. Last year I received feedback that it was nice to have time "together" and also "alone" to explore.

This year. my son and his GF will be accompanying us (on my Man-strom!!) and we'll be surely exploring some of the trails and sights in Acadia that he hasn't seen for a decade. I'm really very open to having other folks along. There's nothing I like more than sharing in some of these kinds of experiences.

So, yeah... I'm keeping it flexible and open for those two weekend days. I hope the advanced schedule will still fit with lot's of other folks'.

And (it goes without saying) we really hope our Acushnet friends can make it. ;)

PS - I understand Greg. It's a popular weekend, just before the summer meelee of Memorial Day. Hope you can make it. If not, there will probably be another.

In!

Blocked the dates, Fred, and looking forward to this.

May also rendezvous with my non-riding wife & kids up in Bar Harbor as well. They've never been. Nice!

In!

May also rendezvous with my non-riding wife & kids up in Bar Harbor as well. They've never been. Nice!
Bring the iPad you're going to sell. "Someone" may be interested :rolleyes:

If people want (or need) a tour guide, I'll be glad to take you all around and show you the Acadia that I know and love. Last year I received feedback that it was nice to have time "together" and also "alone" to explore.
This is a GREAT idea, Fred and very kind of you. I, for one, would be very interested in joining you on your trip down memory lane :)

In!

Bam!! That makes this an EVENT! This is the send off for zip to the leftist coast!!

(damn, this is getting better every second)

This is a GREAT idea, Fred and very kind of you. I, for one, would be very interested in joining you on your trip down memory lane :)
Are you kidding? My memory's short. But I'm always willing to share what's left of it!!

Let's do this thing...

Well, dagnabbitt, I was afraid this would happen. As my spring calendar now sits, I should be on my way back from a trip to western NC and eastern TN this weekend. Too bad, cuz I really enjoyed the Chowdah Run last year. So did my better half. So much fun to ride and mingle with the FJR riders of the northeast.

This will strengthen my resolve to clear calendar space for the NERDS event later.

As always, Fred, GREAT job with the organizing. you're a wizard with this stuff.

Due to some other committments, I only made one day of last years Chowdah Run. I am going to try to do at least from Freeport on up the coast but maybe I'll get down to Kittery for the start!

Thanks for putting this together.

Ross

My wife just informed me that's the weekend my son is graduating for college. :( I was hoping to get back up to Baaaaah Harbor.

Sorry to hear of all the schedule conflicts. This is really the best weekend to have this ride as all of the businesses will have just opened up for the season in the Bar Harbor area, but we will still beat the Memorial Day (and after) rates and crowds on the roads.

I've updated the details (in post #1) for Thursday night at the Freeport Inn. Both hotels are ready to take your reservations at any time now.

Sorry to hear of all the schedule conflicts. This is really the best weekend to have this ride as all of the businesses will have just opened up for the season in the Bar Harbor area, but we will still beat the Memorial Day (and after) rates and crowds on the roads.

I've updated the details (in post #1) for Thursday night at the Freeport Inn. Both hotels are ready to take your reservations at any time now.
Don't worry about the conflicts. It doesn't matter when you schedule something, there will always be conflicts for some of us. You are doing a great job planning this ride and it will be a lot of fun.

When I mentioned that it was at the same time at the Wheatie campout I was thinking about how cool it is to have two excellent rides to choose from.

Fred,

Glad you are able and willing to pick this up for the group. I have no idea where I stand on being able to make this ride or not. I hope to at least be able to make the first days ride, if not all of it. I just don't know yet. You do a great job of planning these sorts of things and always have a good time. I admittedly feel sheepishly embarassed about not being able to contribute to something that I had started. But, I guess that is part of life's little twists and turns that can't always be accounted for.

It's all good CJ.

To me, the planning efforts required are pretty minimal for the much larger reward of spending a long weekend with good friends. :thumbsup:

I hope you can make some part of it.

I'm IN as long as I can get away from work long enough - I may have to meet you in Freeport on Friday . . . I'll have a much better idea come the first of May