The Feejer keeps dying

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atxrider

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have been having a reoccurring issue in the last few months with my 06 Fjr. The engine keeps dying at low speed and seems to idling very low. When I start the bike, it revs at 11-1200 rpm for a while then ultimately drops to 500 rpm. I shift into first gear to start and barely touch the throttle...and the bike dies. I have also had it die shifting from 1st to 2nd. Also, after riding for 30+ minutes and coming to a stop sign, the engine stopped when downshifting to neutral.

Any ideas here? Do I need to get my throttle bodies synced? The bike has about 10K miles on it.

Regards,

Davy

Sounds to me like fuel starvation. Make sure the tank breather tube is not clogged, peek inside the tank with a flashlight and see what the fuel looks like down toward the bottom of the tank. Make sure there isn't something blocking the fuel filter. The filter is just a screen attached to the fuel pump.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been having a reoccurring issue in the last few months with my 06 Fjr. The engine keeps dying at low speed and seems to idling very low. When I start the bike, it revs at 11-1200 rpm for a while then ultimately drops to 500 rpm. I shift into first gear to start and barely touch the throttle...and the bike dies. I have also had it die shifting from 1st to 2nd. Also, after riding for 30+ minutes and coming to a stop sign, the engine stopped when downshifting to neutral.
Any ideas here? Do I need to get my throttle bodies synced? The bike has about 10K miles on it.
The idle speed adjustment is a manual adjustment (no tools) on the right side of the bike. That's the first thing I'd try before digging into anything.

Your idle RPMs are specified to be in the 1,000 to 1,100 range when warm, per the FSM. Your engine will want to die with 500 RPMs at idle. When you start your cold engine it should tach between 1,500 and 2,000 RPM for a few seconds then start to backdown to 1,100 RPM.

Normally I would just say crank it up with the idle adjuster screw but I've got some questions. Has it always been this low since new? Was it 1,100 RPM one day and 500 the next without having done anything? Did it go in for a service at 1,100 RPM and come back to you at 500 RPM?

It isn't uncommon for a botched TBS to cause low RPMs that can't be raised. If this is the case you need to have the TBS done again.

At no time is it normal for idle RPMs to drop from 1,100 to 500 RPM all by itself.

The idle speed adjustment is a manual adjustment (no tools) on the right side of the bike. That's the first thing I'd try before digging into anything.
Gunny!

Yours is idling cold about where it should be warm (1000 RPM).

Your idle RPMs are specified to be in the 1,000 to 1,100 range when warm, per the FSM. Your engine will want to die with 500 RPMs at idle. When you start your cold engine it should tach between 1,500 and 2,000 RPM for a few seconds then start to backdown to 1,100 RPM.
Normally I would just say crank it up with the idle adjuster screw but I've got some questions. Has it always been this low since new? Was it 1,100 RPM one day and 500 the next without having done anything? Did it go in for a service at 1,100 RPM and come back to you at 500 RPM?

It isn't uncommon for a botched TBS to cause low RPMs that can't be raised. If this is the case you need to have the TBS done again.

At no time is it normal for idle RPMs to drop from 1,100 to 500 RPM all by itself.
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

This started happening about two months ago. Yes, it used to rev higher (15-1600) and then stay around 1000 after warm. I will give the idle adjustment a try and possibly sync the throttle bodies (it has not had one done yet) this weekend. How often are you supposed to sync them?

Thanks again,

Davy

500 sounds low. After warmup it should be closer to 1000 IIRC.

Gunny!!

Little screw on the right side........... Hard to find little sucker unless you know where it is but once you find it takes bout 10 seconds...

You should be at 1100 RPM at running temps according to my Shop Manual. Id try that first. My 06 changes and I have to keep adjusting it every now and again. My bike gets Synced plenty