The Redfishes ride to California

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a W O N D E R F U L ride report along with E X C E L L E N T pictures!!!

Thanks for sharing with us!I really enjoy it!

Also glad that i see your dad with you again in this wonderful trip!

A couple of high points of my day in Yosemite involved you and Miss Teri. When we posed for the Group Photo and I stood Too Close she stepped away. I said, "No, stay close. You and I are the prettiest ones in the picture, we need to stand close." She moved right back against my shoulder and by doing so won my undying loyalty.
smile.png

Later that day when I saw you two laid out like alligators next to the water I Really Wished that Mrs. Redfish could be there with me to see that place.
We are both still grinning about that. I was standing right there when you said that and almost audibly laughed -- smoothest comment I'd overheard in a long time. It's hard to imagine you ever being lost for words, my friend.

But mostly - thank you for making Teri feel so much a part of this extraordinary meet and the incredible story of you three Louisianans on a pilgrimage to our shrine to the beauty of nature in California. This was the first motorcycle meet she has ever attended (Bugnatr's 60th wasn't really a "meet"), and she was made to feel a real part of something special. Though that began the day before with others, it was probably your friendly manner, sense of humor and that comment that really set the tone for her - that these are really nice people.

Teri is 1 in 10 million - the kindest, sweetest and most loving soul I have ever met (yeah, yeah, RadioHowie long ago observed that the significant others of FJR riders are often blind) and your comment about wishing that Mrs. RFH could be there with you to share the beauty of that meadow/river/valley will mean a lot to her. We are both proud to count you as a friend.

As for all the old friendly faces, I wouldn't know where to begin -- seeing puppychow, feeger, ray, dcarver again, . . . DUDES! Tyler's usual Tylerness (not to mention her baddass Spyder handling demonstration from immediately behind her as we rode up the canyon) and what you three brought to this party. Thanks to everyone for making this one so damn special, and making Teri feel so welcomed and accepted. Y'all are the best!

Lastly, this forum has a history of stellar RRs. This one, especially when taken together with pants' "Carpe Diem," belongs in the pantheon of best RRs.

Last edited by a moderator:
RedFish,

I just re-read this RR to re-live the trip.

Yes That was me with my back to you in that picture from the Inn parking lot.

I am flattered that you remembered me with all that was going on!

You southern gentlemen made a great impression on us Westerners.

I enjoyed your company and envy your persistence on the trip - not to mention your great pictures and narrative.

I hope to ride with you Gents again!

- Mike

At least we got to meet the Very Lovely Wives of our FJR neighbors. Karen and Michelle were super nice, they offered and delivered us each a bottle of water, they offered to go fetch their husbands to help us get settled, and were just really nice. I was confused. I am not accustomed to having beautiful women be nice to me. I was informed that Gregory was a Newlywed. His wife was almost brand new. Lucky Dog

The warranty has expired on mine. I am stuck with her.

Thank you sir! As it was pointed out to me by those who know me, I am indeed a lucky dog. It was an absolute pleasure to meet you, Pops and Pants. I have always enjoyed your RR's and hope to make it to your neck of the woods one day.

EPIC X 2!
Please tell your lovely wife that I mentioned her in this RR. She was Super Nice.

It was a pleasure sharing that carport with y'all.
If I must. If you ever make it further up the state, your welcome to the whole garage

Last edited by a moderator:
Among the many stupid things I did while playing with Tyler, the day we went to Yosemite I asked her if Sam would be there. Yosemite Sam that is.

Tyler was not impressed. At all. She hurt my feelings.

Fast Forward to today. There was a package waiting for me.

Redfish always admits when he has been outplayed or outsmarted. Tyler won this round.

Game on GirlFriend. Game On.

Really enjoyed your ride report. I would also really be proud of your "Pops." I don't think I could have made that many 500 plus days in a row.

I think your next trip should be to the Great Northwet. Forget the dry heat desert that you rode in this time and enjoy the moderate temperatures we have up here. Enjoy Crater Lake, the Oregon Coast The ride around Olympic National Park, Highway 20 etc.

Update on my hip joint. Surgeon thinks the cure is surgery, but it could be several months before I can get in because of his busy schedule.

Really enjoyed meeting all of you characters from the swamps of Louisiana. Lunch with Pops was very enjoyable and enlightening. He filled me in on the passion you each have for fishing.

RedFish,
I just re-read this RR to re-live the trip.

Yes That was me with my back to you in that picture from the Inn parking lot.

I am flattered that you remembered me with all that was going on!

You southern gentlemen made a great impression on us Westerners.

I enjoyed your company and envy your persistence on the trip - not to mention your great pictures and narrative.

I hope to ride with you Gents again!

- Mike
Mr. Mike I am proud that I was able to remember my own name after so much sensory overload! It was wonderful to meet you although I know we did not chat for long. I enjoyed your input in CraigRegs Ride Report. Even if I never make it out to California again we did get to ride together a little bit.

Really enjoyed your ride report. I would also really be proud of your "Pops." I don't think I could have made that many 500 plus days in a row.
I think your next trip should be to the Great Northwet. Forget the dry heat desert that you rode in this time and enjoy the moderate temperatures we have up here. Enjoy Crater Lake, the Oregon Coast The ride around Olympic National Park, Highway 20 etc.

Update on my hip joint. Surgeon thinks the cure is surgery, but it could be several months before I can get in because of his busy schedule.

Really enjoyed meeting all of you characters from the swamps of Louisiana. Lunch with Pops was very enjoyable and enlightening. He filled me in on the passion you each have for fishing.
Pop and I were paying close attention to everything you were saying about the fish you catch in your part of the world. That little picnic was very special. I had to get up, I almost felt like a child listening to the grown ups talking. The memory of that day will stay with me forever.

I hope things work out with your hip. When I saw you that first evening walking with a cane I assumed you had driven to YFO. Little did I know that you were not only riding your FJR, you were Riding the Hell out of it. You were smooth and fun to watch.

I do want you to know that my forum name is actually what I do best. I love to hunt for redfish in shallow water. I spot them, I stalk them, and I fire a bait at a precise target. I also really like to cook them and Mrs. Redfish really likes to eat them, but that is another story for another time.

This one was in deeper water but still caught sight fishing.

I believe catching a big old redfish would probably be as much fun as catching a great big Salmon. Not sure if I will ever make it to your part of the world. I will be 76 in a few days and have never made it east of the Mississippi. May have to buy a motor home and tour the east while I can. I guess I have been east of the Mississippi, spent a month traveling through Europe

Your look pretty professional with that big guy that you caught.

Mr. Jer, get on a plane. I don't have Captain embroidered on my shirts anymore and I don't fish for money anymore but the boat still runs and the rods still work. I can cook too.

And that was actually not a "big" redfish but it was big enough that I released her to fight another day. That was actually a play day for Pop and I. We were fishing for speckled trout and that redfish popped up on the surface. Before I could stop myself the bait was in the air.

RFH- I finally found, read, and finished your RR. Absolutely fantastic!! Had me smiling, laughing to myself, and thinking. Thank you!

Your subtle jokes throughout the RR are great!

Pictures are good too! You were gettin' pretty good with those riding selfies.... but maybe you should focus more on the red bike behind you... and not so much on the face in the helmet close up.
lol.gif

Seriously though- fantastic write-up. What an amazing trip that must have been on and to experience.

Latest posts