Three pathetic guys watch airplanes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfooshee

O, Woe is me!!
Reaction score
A few weeks ago the three of us began trading text messages about metting up for this weekend's air show in Pensacola, the final show of the year for the Navy's Blue Angels. It's to be me, Patriot, and Majicmaker. Patriot is shooting over Thursday night from New Orleans and staying with a friend in town. Majicmaker is leaving from Palm Beach on Wednesday and splitting the trip up into 2 days, probably to reduce the amount of crud that builds up on his bike, making it easier to was every night.

It took us a week to plan out the meeting place where we'd find each other on Friday morning. How about breakfast at a Waffle House? Weel, Mike wants to use one way the fark on the West side, Vic wants one close to his hotel, and I'm gonna have breakfast at home before leaving Friday morning. No way I can ride 2 and a half hours without eating first! But we eventually settled on a centrally-located Waffle House to meet at. They would be there and eat, and i would arrive just as they were finishing up, and we'd proceed from there. We had the address and even a Google Maps image of the location, and everybody agreed.

I called to check in, and Mike was there by himself. He called Vic, who answered "Where are you? I've eaten and nobody's here!" Vic went to the wrong one. But when I called Mike it was to report that I was running late, as the bike wouldn't start when I gassed it up, had to wait about 30 minutes for some reason to get it going. When I tried it, it backfired and stopped cranking, reset the clock, and then on trying again would crank freely without catching, with an occasional cough and pop through the exhaust. WOT didn't help. I stopped trying as the cranking was getting slower, and let the bike site a while. After 30 minutes it cranked smooth and fired right up. (I think I have a sticking injector, and it floods sometimes when I shut it off. If it sits long enough the flooding evaporates and nothing's wrong. If I don't, though, it gets mean.)

So since they each had separate breakfasts, they decide to go ahead towards the base and meet up elsewhere. I got the coordinates on my next check-in and found them easily enough. We expressed hopes that the rest of the day went much more smoothly.

We rode onto the air station and were directed by the friendly folks to specified motorcycle parking, way closer to the show than cages could go. Yay, bikes! As we were putting away gear and gathering up to go in, this ugly thin dude walks up and asks if we're on fjrforum. He sees three FJRs and does a quick bit of math in his head, and takes a chance. Turns out the guy was evilmedic13, there with his family. He's really not that ugly, I guess, but too young and too thin next to the three of us, so that made him . . . ugly. :)

Mike and Vic. That's Vic on the left.

DSC_3583.jpg

All three bikes. Vic's in front, obviously having been washed the night before, mine under the half-cover, and Mike's at the back, where we tried to hide it.

DSC_3584.jpg

We walked around a bit, found this ugly flying thing called a P-3. This is how Mike spent his days in the Navy, behind the controls of one of these beasts, flying around finding commie bastards trying to sneak around in our ocean.

DSC_3585.jpg

P-3.JPG

It wasn't open to crawl around in, so I guess they have to protect all that top-secret 1950's technology.

The show started with a boatload of early trainers and then some warbirds flying circles around the field. These Stearmans are the Navy and the Army version, from between the wars. Mike claimed that he was too late to learn in one of these, but I don't believe him.

DSC_3616.jpg

An A-10 performed a demonstration, and had some "strafing" passes and a "bomb" run, assisted by some on-the-ground pyro, canisters of diesel lit up by dynamite.

DSC_3691.jpg

One of the Stearmans and Skip Stewart's Prometheus then did a show called "Ten Sticks of Dynamite," joined by the jet truck. I think they used more than ten.

DSC_3735.jpg

DSC_3736.jpg

DSC_3746.jpg

DSC_3760.jpg

DSC_3762.jpg

DSC_3765.jpg

The Navy's Tailhook Legacy flight, led by a Helldiver, with a Corsair and a Super Hornet.

DSC_3780.jpg

There was also a replica of the Ely-Curtiss pusher, the first airplane to take off from a ship's deck. This happened in November of 1910. The Navy is celebrating 100 years of naval aviation at this year's air shows, and this is the guy that started it all, the world's first naval aircraft.

DSC_3789.jpg

As the Tailhook Legacy formation circled the field, the Curtiss circled closer and they timed it to get all the aircraft in the frame together.

DSC_3794.jpg

Lots of rudder!

DSC_3809.jpg

The smoke shows the flight path, but the airplane's not pointed that way!!

DSC_3810.jpg

DSC_3812.jpg

A Bearcat painted to match the early Blue Angels team.

DSC_3817.jpg

Fat Albert

DSC_3839.jpg

And the stars of the show:

DSC_3869.jpg

DSC_3870.jpg

DSC_3871.jpg

DSC_3874.jpg

DSC_3885.jpg

DSC_3893.jpg

DSC_3902.jpg

DSC_3904.jpg

DSC_3914.jpg

DSC_3915.jpg

DSC_3917.jpg

DSC_3931.jpg

DSC_3937.jpg

DSC_3940.jpg

DSC_3951.jpg

DSC_3952.jpg

DSC_3954.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
After the Blues there was a break of about an hour and a half, and they had the twi-night show. Vic left before this, didn't want to have to be riding in the dark. Mike stayed fro most of it, but left early enough to get home at a reasonable hour. So much for one of them buying me supper after the show!

Skip Stewart started it off with some ribbon cutting. Here's the attitude he assumed immediately on takeoff:

DSC_3963.jpg

First he made a pass under the ribbons!

DSC_3969.jpg

Then an inverted pass to cut the top ribbon, and a knife-edge to cut the second ribbon.

DSC_3970.jpg

DSC_3971.jpg

Sunset light on the Stearman, which flew next, doing an amazing aerobatic show from an aircraft with half the power and about three times the weight of the Prometheus we'd just seen.

DSC_3974.jpg

It's not rated for inverted flight, and when you do, it stalls. When you restart it, this happens.

DSC_3977.jpg

They waited until almost total darkness to launch the F-18F Super Hornet this year. I'd seen it previously at dusk, but not in the full darkness.

DSC_3994.jpg

DSC_4002.jpg

Jet truck at night!!!!

DSC_4032.jpg

Popping the burners

DSC_4034.jpg

A T-6 Texan lit by his own pyro. He had sparklers from the tips and would launch fireworks as he flew maneuvers.

DSC_4057.jpg

DSC_4063.jpg

They finished off with fireworks, and the Wall of Fire:

DSC_4103.jpg

DSC_4107.jpg

Finally, I went back the next day with the grandkids and their mom. I got more pictures of the early activities, which was a continuous parade of early trainers and then warbirds circling the field. For the rest of the day I usually had a kid on my head so there wasn't much shooting once things really started.

The Stearmans, one for the Army and one for the Navy

DSC_4118.jpg

DSC_4119.jpg

Helldiver

DSC_4128.jpg

DSC_4159.jpg

Dauntless dive bomber rolling in

DSC_4132.jpg

DSC_4121.jpg

DSC_4143.jpg

A Corsair and a Bearcat. The Bearcat is painted like the 1946 Blue Angels leader.

DSC_4136.jpg

DSC_4148.jpg

DSC_4138.jpg

DSC_4149.jpg

Japanese planes, a Zero and a Kate. These are actually cosmetically converted T-6s, as actual Japanese WWII aircraft are rarer than hen's teeth. All offensive weapons were destroyed as part of the surrender, so any genuine Japanese aircraft from the war are restored from wrecks found wherever.

DSC_4173.jpg

DSC_4176.jpg

The Red Bull aerobatic helicopter. This just does things that can't be done, like 360-degree rolls, loops, and back flips from a hover.

DSC_3803.jpg

DSC_4236.jpg

No, the picture is not upside-down

DSC_4244.jpg

Cool shots.

If those pictures are yours, you have a good eye and a quick lens. I tried taking pictures years ago at a Blue Angels show out here on the left coast at NAS Moffet Field. I spent the whole time looking through the view finder. When I got the pictures developed all I saw were what looked like flys buzzing around in the blue sky.

Thanks for sharing.

smile.gif

Brodie

Excellent pathetic pix from three pathetic guys.

AWESOME pix! :yahoo:

Great shots of the old prop planes, and modern stuff. Looked like a great time.

Mike - Those are some way cool stripes on your bike. Too bad it's not a 2005 Feej. :p

Very cool pics. That's quite an air show.

But, after seeing this little display, I'll never be concerned about having my O2 sensor disconnected (not being environmentally friendly) again...

DSC_3765.jpg

:p

Nikon D5000, with the 70-300 VR lens. VR is Nikon's Vibration Redustion active stabilizer.

I shot at ISO 200 (maybe 400, I can't recall now,) with the prop planes in shutter-priority at 1/250th. I tried 1/125th, but still got too much motion blur, planes weren't sharp enough. 1/125th is asking too much at 300mm (equivalent to 450mm in the 35mm film world!!)

I shot the jets in aperture priority at f:11, which resulted in a shutter speed of 1/1000 or faster. Shooting props in Tv and jets in Av makes it easy to switch back and forth; just change modes, no need to rack the shutter speed back and forth all day.

As it got dark, I was moving the ISO up into big numbers, ended up at 3200 when it was pitch black, and those shots of the T-6 lit by its own pyro were pushed still further in Photoshop.

As for composition, all of the shots are cropped from the original frame. None of them are exactly what I was actually looking at, so that gives you room to be a bit off center as you shoot.

Wow...Great shots!!

I look forward to this photo report every year....THANKS!!! :yahoo:

Thanks also for not taking pictures of evilmedic...really. :D

BTW, I would not want to be on the target side of this bird of prey...he looks like he could do some serious ass whupping...

DSC_3917.jpg

Terrific shots! Glad you guys went, and thanks for posting up the pictures!

I really like that shot of the A-10. The A-10 is one of my top-2 favorite aircraft. I mean, c'mon - who doesn't like an aircraft built around a gun, right?

Love the Wart Hogs! A BIG gatling gun with dual jet engines! America rules.

Thanks for sending, but now it's time to move my Business account to a credit union.