throttle spring release/relief

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just done the throttle sprin release, wrote a reply to Rickster's original posting. I will repeat it here:

Rick

Just followed your post to do the throttle return spring modification. Excellent posting, but (isn't there always a "but"?) a couple of points I found that might help, only because you've gone to such detail that an innocent (like me) can find unexpected unknowns.

In raising the tank, slacken the pivot bolt at the back:

1_DSCF5731.JPG

You gloss over the removal of the "lump" (with three vacuum[?] tubes and an electrical connection). Note the white plastic tie holding its wires to the tank wiring, needs cutting and replacing when re-installing.:

1_DSCF5745.JPG

Here the "lump" is just taken out of its wire holder:

1_DSCF5751.JPG

The only other comments are I had to get a third hand (sons do have their uses sometimes) to hold the throttle open the quarter turn necessary to get to the spring, and as I couldn't find anything to grip the spring to pull it off the hook, I used two flat-bladed screwdrivers, one to push the spring tang forwards until it was just clear of the hook, the other to push it sideways off the hook, in the end very easy.

The result? Much improved throttle control, so thanks for the great write-up that gave me the confidence to make this adjustment.

I'm off on a tour of Scotland in three weeks, should ease that wrist ache!

FWIW, I took a few photos of my progress (I do this so I know how to put things back!), they can be viewed here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the additional pictures and the mention of "The Lump". I wonder if that is only on the E?

I have yet to do the throttle spring mod on my '06A so I can't say whether or not it's on both models.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the spring mod on my 06 about 1 month ago - fantastic.

There is no 'lump' on an Australian 06 non auto clutch...

I had not unwound the middle spring one turn on my '05 for its first 11,000 miles and did so last weekend while I was under the tank for other reasons. Took about five minutes to study the spring, find the right screwdriver combination and release the spring, and button things back up. Today I took it out for a test run to see what difference it made. I've never had the problems others here have had with sore shoulders, neck pain due to the stiff throttle spring, but it does make a very positive difference for me. For me it:

1) Increases the ability to be smooth in low speed riding at constant speed. This was an observation I made when I bought the bike, coming from a BMW R1100RS. I had to work harder to be smooth with the FJR.

2) Increases the ability to be smooth in shifts

3) Makes the bike feel more like a sport bike. I find myself using a little more rpm in each gear now that the spring tension is lighter, which I guess accounts for that observation.....

4) Allows me to ease up on my grip on the throttle

5) Allow me to use a lower friction setting on the Vista Cruise

I did notice that once the throttle spring tension was reduced, it was much more apparent that I had excess slack in my throttle cable and took care of that right away resulting in much more throttle sensitivity and even smoother shifting. This mod is my nominee for the "farkle of the year" in terms of bang for the buck. I don't remember seeing any comments here from anyone who did the mod that it needed to be put back as it was before!

Go do it! It takes ten minutes tops and I guarrantee that you will see a difference. :yahoo: