Ticking sound

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VIP

Reaction score
I've read about the ticking issue that some seem to develope but I'm not sure if I have the same issue or if something else is going on here. I have taken a video of the bike idleing to hopefully have someone help give me an idea of what is going on. The sound seems to be coming more from the left side and seems to be lower in the engine, maybe even near the exhaust. The other issue is the whine and that may just be a normal sound - figured I'd mention it while I have the video up.

Any help is appreciated - I'm hoping to have an idea what is going on before having to take it in for any repair. If it's something simple to look at, it'd be nice to at least avoid that labor charge.

Thanks,

Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
It's hard to tell with your recording. I can hear "tick-tick-tick", but that's not the scary sound of a premature valve guide wear. The scary sounds more like metal on metal sewing machine sound or steak knives dropping on a metal table and I'm not hearing it.

If it bothers you, drop the header and look for excessive oil in the exhaust ports..particularly on cylinders 1 or 2.

And it's been talked about so many times already on this forum....I just suggest looking at the resources we suggested when you signed up. Many, many, many times has it been discussed and described.

Sounds normal to me. Didn't hear anything like the infamous TICK. Mine was real loud before it finaly got fixed.

If you turn the volume up you can hear the ticking that I am referring too - what is weird is that it comes and goes depending on the RPM. If there is nothing to worry about - that's awesome; just worried that there was something going wrong.

If you turn the volume up you can hear the ticking that I am referring too - what is weird is that it comes and goes depending on the RPM. If there is nothing to worry about - that's awesome; just worried that there was something going wrong.
which side is it coming from? The old large screwdriver with handle to ear and tip to exhaust (each cylinder) then head both sides may help with where most of the noise is coming from. Of course a mechanics stethoscope is best. This might help us backyard mechanics give better feedback on whether you should take it in immediately to have a mechanic look at or not.

VIP,

You could have a noisy Cam Chain Tensioner (CCT), which is located on the lower right hand side of the engine.

The noisy CCT almost always gets tagged as a Ticker which it is not.

VIP,

You could have a noisy Cam Chain Tensioner (CCT), which is located on the lower right hand side of the engine.

The noisy CCT almost always gets tagged as a Ticker which it is not.
I should have mentioned, I noticed the tick this fall and replaced the CCT this winter with no change in sound.

I should have mentioned, I noticed the tick this fall and replaced the CCT this winter with no change in sound.
Are you the Original Owner?

How many miles are on the bike?

Did You or a Shop Replace the CCT?

Was it Replaced with the New Version?

What type of Oil are you using?

Is your Idle RPM set at 1100-1200?

No - I am the second owner, I purchased the bike with 30k miles on the clock this summer.

Just shy of 40k miles on the bike.

I replaced the CCT.

Yes - I ordered the CCT from the local dealer.

I'm running Rotella T6 full synthetic

Is your Idle RPM set at 1100-1200?

I think it's around there - I would need to verify that.

No - I am the second owner, I purchased the bike with 30k miles on the clock this summer.

Just shy of 40k miles on the bike.

I replaced the CCT. I am just wondering if this was the NEW Version and is it Adjusted Correctly

Yes - I ordered the CCT from the local dealer.

I'm running Rotella T6 full synthetic T6 is 5W-40 wondering if this is too thin

Is your Idle RPM set at 1100-1200? Lower Idle RPM will result in Less Chain Tension and More Racket I think it's around there - I would need to verify that.

I am just wondering if this was the NEW Version and is it Adjusted Correctly

If I remember right, when researching the CCT I did verify the newer version but off the top of my head can't think how I verified that. I will say that after the installation that the bike does not perform differently - I've put 1200 miles on it after installation.

T6 is 5W-40 wondering if this is too thin

I was running the Mobil 1 4T which is 10W-40 and the sound was still there. I have read that others are using T6 with no issues. I thought it would be better for cold weather riding (usually around 20-30 degrees when I leave for work).

Lower Idle RPM will result in Less Chain Tension and More Racket

The sound is noticable while moving down the road at 3500 RPMs as well, not sure if that helps rule this out?

Thanks for taking the time to talk it out...

VIP,

Well you are right about the Oil during winter. Perhaps a little heavier weight during the Summer may dampen the Noise.

One way to check if you still think you have Ticker, is if you are Using Oil (Oil gets by the Valve Guides on the Exhaust) and you can pull the #4 Plug and see if it is Showing Signs of Oil Burning.

Other than this, I would relax unless you want to take it to a Dealer to confirm.

Hope this helps...

One way to check if you still think you have Ticker, is if you are Using Oil (Oil gets by the Valve Guides on the Exhaust) and you can pull the #4 Plug and see if it is Showing Signs of Oil Burning.
I haven't seen that suggestion but I'll give it a shot!

I haven't seen that suggestion but I'll give it a shot!
Usually with this little amount of Oil getting by the Valve Guides and Burning, the CATs will usually burn it off before it gets out of the Exhaust Pipe.

When I thought I had one, we had installed RivNuts at the Headers and tested the HC (oil burning) and CO levels. Mine was ultimately found to have High CO levels on #4 Cylinder due to a defective (rare) Throttle Body Assy. #4 Plug was constantly getting fouled out due to More Fuel being pumped to this cylinder.

Good Luck with your Peace of Mind..

There is valve noise in the FJR's engine, and it's perfectly normal. Unlike a car's hydraulic lifters, our engines have a (hopefully) carefully adjusted gap between the camshaft and the top of the valve stem. There is some tapping noise when the lobe starts on the valve, and when the valve closes. Which one's noisier I couldn't tell ya, but it's there, and it's normal.

Your cam chain tensioner replacement is not going to change the engine's performance one iota. The tensioner has absolutely nothing to do with the performance of the engine, other than the fact that engines with failed tensioners perform very poorly. Saying that the performance didn't change with the new tensioner means absolutely nothing, and is not the least bit surprising.

As for whining noises, there are a number of straight-cut gears inside the motor case. All the transmission's gears are straight-cut, not helical. Also, the balancers, one on either side of the crankshaft, are driven by straight-cut gears, so it whines.

There are no abnormal noises in your video. Not from your bike, anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is valve noise in the FJR's engine, and it's perfectly normal. Unlike a car's hydraulic lifters, our engines have a (hopefully) carefully adjusted gap between the camshaft and the top of the valve stem. There is some tapping noise when the lobe starts on the valve, and when the valve closes. Which one's noisier I couldn't tell ya, but it's there, and it's normal.

Your cam chain tensioner replacement is not going to change the engine's performance one iota. The tensioner has absolutely nothing to do with the performance of the engine, other than the fact that engines with failed tensioners perform very poorly. Saying that the performance didn't change with the new tensioner means absolutely nothing, and is not the least bit surprising.

As for whining noises, there are a number of straight-cut gears inside the motor case. All the transmission's gears are straight-cut, not helical. Also, the balancers, one on either side of the crankshaft, are driven by straight-cut gears, so it whines.

There are no abnormal noises in your video. Not from your bike, anyway.
I appreciate the reply and confirmation. I find it hard to know what is normal or abnormal due to it being a used bike but I'm learning quickly with information like this.

Thanks again.

I listened closely as well, and I am in no way an authoritarian as many on the forum.

However, my recently (demised) 04' ran the same way, and I enjoyed the whine, especially during

high rpm acceleration, reminded me of a fighter jet engine.....

That video sound was just as my 04' and it was not a ticker just strong and fast at 28k miles..... :cry: :cry: ...need tissue now!!!

The memories.