Time to give up my beloved StreetPilot 2820...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfooshee

O, Woe is me!!
Reaction score
So I'm encountering map data issues more and more often lately somehow. I mean, the maps are only 10 years old!!!! The roads are older than that, what's the problem??

Well, not all the roads are older than that, especially around parts of my girlfriend's hometown of Orlando, where they've added freeways and moved I-4 around a little bit. (And when I say "moved," I mean "moving..." That shit's NEVER gonna get done!)

I like the StreetPilot so much that I've put TWO replacement digitizers on it when it couldn't follow my screen touches any more.

Another reason for the obsolescence is I had to reformat my computer, and now my computer maps are locked, and it won't read the unlocks from the GPS. I can do anything I want with the GPS, as long as I do it on the screen, not the computer. No, thanks.

I see the Garmin Zumo 396 and the Tomtom Rider 550, remarkably enough both at $399.99. It's like they're similar products in the same market, or something. So I need advice on which to work towards. Looks like the come with everything to go right on the bike, including mount hardware and power cables, which were extra accessories back in the StreetPilot days. How's the software these days? I used third-party stuff to build routes, made GPXs and sent them to the receiver with Mapsource. I loaded Basecamp once and looked at it. All I can say is... Garmin is NOT a software company!!! I've never seen Tomtom's software. I've used TYRE in my process to move files around differnt formats, but once Streets and Trips was able to make GPXs directly, life got easier.

So anyway, y'all tell me what I should do. Tell me why one or the other is light-years ahead of the competition. I will say that my experiences dealing with Garmin over the years have not been happy ones. Almost bricked a 2720 once with a map update, took them hours to get it running, and the old map data is STILL in it, taking up space. Never had to talk to them about the 2820, and I'm not even going to try now, on something that old.

The one thing I'm keeping forever, though, no matter what, is the 2720, and its maximum speed screen I somehow managed to pull off:
MaxSpeed2720.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
lol! I absolutely dread the day when I need to shitcan my beloved Garmin 276C. I have a computer that I'd never have if I didn't need the GPS software within. I do think that I have the software on disk somewhere. There is a big question of "where". & what I've found regarding the maps... there are sections of roads that were changed long before my last map update & the maps were still wrong & showed me driving through a field. I can assure you that it didn't look like a field to me! lol! My maps aren't quite as old as yours but probably close. Good luck with your quest.