Tiptronic-type Shifting For The Feejer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teerex51

The Italian Scallion
Reaction score
A German Farklemeister, Reinhard Loessner, has developed a Tiptronic-type button-operated shifting system for the FJR1300.

Reinhard claims this is ideal for those who (like himself) cannot easily operate the conventional gearshift pedal.

This farkle consists of a linear motor, an ECU and a panel with two buttons (green for upshifting, red for downshifting). A different shift arm (a modified Kawa part) and a couple of stainless steel brackets are also needed).

Further info under www.loessner.com (click on "Motorraeder", "Tiptronic" and have fun, it's all in German, ja?).

tip3.jpg

Shift Buttons (above)

tip2.jpg

Linear motor (above)

tip5.jpg

Final installation stage (above)

tip6.jpg

Modified Kawasaki shift arm (above)

Stef

PS: This farkle is probably the forerunner of the electronic 6-speed sequential

gearbox that has been rumored to be a highlight of the Euro 2006 model.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reinhard claims this is ideal for those who (like himself) cannot easily operate the conventional gearshift pedal.
Does this mean he doesn't know how to shift or that he doesn't have a foot to shift with? I do not understand why you would want a Tiptronic-type button-operated shifting system for the FJR1300. Please explain.

I've got pins, rods and plates in my left ankle (non motorcycle incident). Over time the pain has gotten to be continual and no longer improves with OTC pain killers. I am facing having the joint fused sometime in the future. Push button shifting will look a whole lot better than a jocky shifter
jockey%20shifter.jpg

Air or electric, yes, along with an ignition interruptor (does this unit use an interruptor?) so clutchless upshifts can be made. But they don't downshift in drag bikes, or the tranny is toast. The reliability and lifespan of such a unit would be my greatest concern.

Hello? What about the clutch?

So you have to clutch with your left hand, then push the button, then let go again? Sounds like a cramp in the making.

-BD

This appears to be simply an electronic way of moving the shift lever, designed for folks suffering a disability that prevents them from moving the lever normally with their foot. You still have to clutch.

So not a whole lot to do with Tiptronic or the rumored tiptronic-type shifting that is coming to bikes. These systems either have a hydraulic torque convertor or a solenoid controlled clutch to replace the manual clutch.

As an aside, our bikes already have a "sequential" transmission. This simply refers to a transmission where gears can only be selected in sequence rather than being able to be randomly selected like a conventional stick shift in a car. Sequential transmissions are the rage in cars these days because you only have to press paddles to go up/down, rather than having to figure out what motion to make with the stick.

- Mark