Tire Changer Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Briano

Reaction score
This is for those of you who change/balance your own tires.

1) What do you use for "tire mounting lube", and where do you get it?

2) Where do you get balance weights?

Thanks,

Brian

I use "Tire Mounting Lubricant" from NAPA auto parts suppliers, part no. 765-2434. (Slick as snot, was only about $4 for the gallon, and I'd read that it helps seal the bead.)

I got tire weights (and bead breaker) from Aerostich.com.

Best tip, though: Rim protectors by K&L -- better than the Motion Pros, which are too soft:

https://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item....&division=6

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks,

Brian

I use a spray bottle fo soapy water....works great.

Get my weights from Aerostich.

I use soapy water (using dishsoap) and a paint brush.

I got my wheel weights from americanmototire.com last time I ordered a set of tires. I know of someone who got some weights from University Motors too.

I have always used dish soap in a spray bottle with water and had good luck but I have had several cases where it was very difficult to get the bead to seat completely. In one case with a Continental tire several years ago I thought I had a bad tire until I discovered the bead was simply not seating and it took multiple trys with excessive amounts of dish soap to get it seated.

Based on my latest experiences with car tires I would no longer recommend the dish soap. It is just not slippery enough to get the bead to positively seat. I've seen several tires where the bead was just short of seating and then rolled slightly so that the bead did not fully seat against the rim flange causing an almost invisible distortion in the tire that was perceived as tire shake and roughness. Reseating the bead with the correct lubricant corrected the problem each time.

There are several commercially available tire lubricants on the market. GM carries one over their parts counter that is specifically for the run flat performance tires on certain models that have tight, hard to seat tire beads. That is what I use now.

) What do you use for "tire mounting lube", and where do you get it?
I use a tire lube called Slick, I got it from my local tire store.

The cheapest weights I've found were at JC Witless.

Steve

) What do you use for "tire mounting lube", and where do you get it?
I use a tire lube called Slick, I got it from my local tire store.

The cheapest weights I've found were at JC Witless.

Steve

Napa carries a tire mounting solution called "ru-glide". available in a gallon jug for less than 10 bucks