Tire inflator connector for chuck

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cninham

Reaction score
I need some info, please. I purchased a tire inflator (not a true 'compressor') from Sears:

https://www.sears.com/craftsman-120v-portable-inflator/p-02875121000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

This air compressor uses a female cap that threads onto the Schrader valve stem of your tire to inflate it. I would like to replace this screw-on type of cap with an angled chuck, such as the Milton 699 1/4" NPT Female Air Chuck:

https://www.amazon.com/CTA-Tools-1930-Straight-Lock-/dp/B00AZJYDQI/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1449155749&sr=8-6&keywords=air+chuck

However, this chuck, and most other chucks will not screw onto the end of my air compressor's hose, as both attachments are 'female' type.

Option 1 -- is there some Schrader-male to 1/4" NPT male type coupler that I can use to screw into my air compressor that would allow me to attach other chucks such as those mentioned here above?

Option 2 -- the air compressor has a quick connect for the air hose. I do not know what type of quick connect this is, but possibly I could find another air hose with the same type quick connect but the other end has a standard 1/4" NPT MALE coupler that will allow me to connect 1/4" NPT Female chucks...?

Any info or advice will be appreciated, please.

Thank you -- Cameron

Can't you just use a 1/4 close nipple and attach the tire chuck....?

bb5f85e3-d714-4726-8b93-122a62be8792_400.jpg

Also there is something like this to clip on and stay on....

https://www.amazon.com/Snap--870036-Ball-Foot-Chuck/dp/B001LMUN26/ref=sr_1_8?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1449160705&sr=1-8&keywords=air+chuck

71LIE9fGzNL._SL1500_.jpg

Here are a few other options (scroll down)

https://www.extair.com/air-chuck.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Internet playing tricks on me today can't open your links..... however, you'll have to go to the plumbing department for brass fittings to get what you need.........

I've bought several tire pressure gauge/inflator things, and not one of them is quick, accurate, and easy to use, especially gauges. The round face with stub, or with a hose and fitting, the pencil type, the angle digital type, none of them work easily and well.

A Schrader valve thread is .305-32 (inch-pitch). So what you probably want is an adapter for .305-32 to 1/4 NPT. That should let you fit any standard 1/4 pneumatic tool or chuck. This is a common plumbing adapter, or might be available where pneumatic fittings are sold.

I've got a 12-volt infiltrator very similar that I carry in my truck. It works well if you can get the end screwed onto the valve stem, and I've used it on my bike with angled valve stems. Next time you mount tires, just get some angled valve stems installed. Until then, I'm thinking something like this would work.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's exactly what I was thinking of. We use them to blow down plumbing in the fall to winterize. If you're using this as an adapter from your inflater to a 1/4 NPT fitting, you won't need a core insert. Do you have a professional plumbing store nearby, like Ferguson in St Augustine?

That's exactly what I was thinking of. We use them to blow down plumbing in the fall to winterize. If you're using this as an adapter from your inflater to a 1/4 NPT fitting, you won't need a core insert. Do you have a professional plumbing store nearby, like Ferguson in St Augustine?
Yes, we have both Ferguson and Grainger. Will check them out...

Thanks

Yes, we have both Ferguson and Grainger. Will check them out...

Thanks
I bought something like that at Home Depot several years back. I put it in the water lines to our greenhouse to blow the pipes out for winter. Would this one be it?