To Six Or Not To Six; That Is The Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasTigress

Reaction score
hello everyone:

I've read with great interest the tidbits about the 2006 Feejer, and checked the comparison photos a million times (the 06 versus 05). It seems like a very nice bike with some attractive features.

But I've also studied farkles that smart boys have undertaken for their 2002-2005 models, and it creates potential for quite a debate.

Will the 2006 (as best we know it from the fascist factory propaganda machine) be a better overall deal than a "pre-2006" that has been thoroughly farkled with essentially the same "factory upgrades" ???

I mean, geez, how many heat fixes, aerodynamic mods, and electronic mods have been created already?

Maybe this will start a great debate thread in the same manner as the legendary oil discussions.

By the way, I've got an '05 (which I love) but the 2006 color (at least the non-Italian Yammie site color) is something special......but the price would make me want to commit crimes (again) to get the dough. And gosh, the cell would barely hold the bike AND me with any level of creature comfort.

Gentlemen, start your keyboards !

the only thing that will make me convert is getting a killer deal on the '06 and getting good money for my '04. with the information that has been released, there hasn't been enough change for me to justify it.

with the information that has been released, there hasn't been enough change for me to justify it.
Ditto,

Who knows, the adjustable bars and seat may not be any improvemnt over what you have now. You would still need risers and a LD seat anyhow. I would be happy with these upgrades that wouldn't add cost.

1. tight steering nut

2. Grease on the drive shaft

3. Locktite on the hard bag screws

:D

Moby One --

Your items 1 & 3 are dealer/assembler problems/oversights and not factory related problems.

TexasTigress --

I anticipate that the '06 redesign will provide dramatically reduced heating for the rider. If Yamaha has gone to the trouble of designing a completely new radiator/fan system they must have achieved a significant reduction in heat blast on the rider.

I suspect that the redesign of the fuel injection/throttle body system as well as the redesign of the engine intake air system will have a significant positive effect on the drivability of the engine.

My only concern about the '06 is that they have made so many changes that I'd be concerned with the varied problems often experienced with the introduction of a new model. Based on car studies I seen it's often two or three years after a new model is introduced before the bugs are mostly/totally ironed out.

Good point about the "new machinery" and its potential bug factor.

I thought getting the 2005 was a reasonable choice with any known or unknown "iron out" factors hopefully resolved. I remembered my 1977 Yammie 750 (the triple cylinder driveshaft model) that had a glitch or two as the first roll-out of that model.

So far mine hasn't even ticked.

As for the alleged 2006 heat reduction improvements, I am hoping that my new 20" box fan from Tarzhay will help quite a bit on my '05, although it might create some wind resistance.

New electronics don't worry me, and the linked ABS might work better than non-linked, but bikes have stopped for years just fine without it......

A gear indicator for what, to help me count ?

But the larger screen = woo-hoo !

Well, I waited to see what the 06's would look like before making my choice. Some of what they did is interesting except Blue AGAIN! Go figure. :dribble:

Anyway, I pulled the trigger and have a 2 day old '05/ABS in my garage right now! Oh yeah....its Blue and she's Gorgious! :D

MJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Mighty Joe,

Good choice. In June I pulled the trigger on an 05ABS. I now have 11,630 miles. Just returned from a trip west through Yellowstone and the Rockies. The Feejer hadled it exceptionally, physically I was better than expected but mentally, it was grueling. Damn Cagers. Never let your guard down.

~ Lauden

Not sure I understand why everybody is so down on the linked brakes. For your average rider, which I am sure most on this forum are, I would think they would be a good and useful thing.

No comprende?!?!?!

Not sure I understand why everybody is so down on the linked brakes. For your average rider, which I am sure most on this forum are, I would think they would be a good and useful thing.
No comprende?!?!?!
Yep, I'm probably an average rider. I don't like to deal with unnecessary complexity that can go wrong at the worst moment. That's why I didn't go for the ABS on my '05.

IMHO, if the dealer was correct when he told me that it will only be $200-$400 more for the 2006, I think it is a deal. That's if you don't have an FJR right now and are willing to wait till next March. When it comes to trading up, we will get killed, we will take a huge hit on our bikes simply because of the existence of the new and approved. Also they might be able to hold tight on the new models price and lastly we will also flush our existing farkle money down the toilet. I'm kinda happy with my 2005 and think I'll sit tight, my Blueflames will not fit on the new one. By the way, I really like linked brakes! Regards, Greg

Mighty Joe,
Good choice. In June I pulled the trigger on an 05ABS. I now have 11,630 miles. Just returned from a trip west through Yellowstone and the Rockies. The Feejer hadled it exceptionally, physically I was better than expected but mentally, it was grueling. Damn Cagers. Never let your guard down.

~ Lauden
Wow bro, Thats a bunch of miles already! I'm impressed with that.

I Love my '05 and glad I bought it now. The fall scenery in the southeast is impressive and I didn't want to wait until March for the '06's regardless of color.

Linked brakes are for touring bikes and like it or not that's what you bought!! :beee:

The wife likes it and wants one. At least it'll be cheaper than the R1200RT, I hope. Well come the 28th we may be making a trip to the dealer.

grnarrowe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a fan of linked brakes on any bike and I see the 06 as being the slowest FJR out there.

I don't see any big change to make me consider changing.

Mighty Joe,
Good choice.  In June I pulled the trigger on an 05ABS.  I now have 11,630 miles.  Just returned from a trip west through Yellowstone and the Rockies.  The Feejer hadled it exceptionally, physically I was better than expected but mentally, it was grueling.  Damn Cagers.  Never let your guard down.

~ Lauden
Yeah, WOW Lauden, thats a lot of miles since June. I too pulled the trigger for an '05 near the end of June but have only accumulated a measly 5500 miles.

The Colorado Rockies for me next summer.

Last edited:
Sorry Spine, Linked brakes are for pussies, and we bought a SPORT-Touring machine, besides you already have a wing right, THAT is a touring rig and admittedly one of the best. I dont even have ABS cuz I ENJOY backin it in to a corner and my feej even does 2nd gear wheelies from time to time ! Of course we have the Texas hill country with its cambered roads and I can dig not wanting to overdo it on flat roads with lots of local gentry to avoid. But I would not want an 06 for both those reasons, as options maybe, but more expensive complicated unnecessary equipment....save it for your Cage Brudda ! :beee:

Bobby